and the rest of the 5...

Luckily my challenge to myself to complete 5 projects in 5 weeks did not include the proviso that I blog about it.  You'll just have to take my word for it that I did complete the challenge in time.  I won't lie, it probably helped that the deadlines for the projects were all set by outside factors...
So, project #2: end of year gifts for 2 teachers.  The tote bag was just a little extra in addition to the class gift.  It seems to be a compulsion of mine to use apple fabrics when making these tote bags for teachers.  I do make them reversible, though, in case they need a break from all things apple:  
Hopefully they come in useful in a city with a plastic bag ban.
The other teacher had had the misfortune to have my other offspring in her class a couple of years ago, so for her I switched things up and made an Emmeline Apron to go with a bag of British food stuff etc.  I've made several of these aprons now, so I've had my money's worth out of this pattern.  She's a fan of Disney, so I went with the polka dots on the one side and this for the other:
Ok, project #3: a prop torch for the same class play that I made the masks for:
Next up, project #4: 3 witches hats also for the play (probably the most fiddly of the projects, as the interfacing was so stiff that I ended up just hand sewing them)
Finally, project #5: 3 small lace capes for the good witches.  I was a little nervous about sewing with lace, thinking my machine would probably chew it up, but it was a doddle.
The class did a great job.  Here's a couple of snaps of the witches in action:

In the background you can get a peek of my unofficial project #6: helping to paint the scenery backgrounds. Any dodgy looking bits were probably painted by me: I'm better at drawing than I am painting and large scale painting is a completely different kettle of fish.  I hadn't picked up an artist's brush for a couple of decades prior to this...  
It's been a busy few weeks, especially helping out with all the end of term stuff etc.  Still, summer has started now and the task of keeping my kids from being idle has begun.  Luckily my parents will be arriving tomorrow for a long visit.  I'm a little nervous, as our eldest dog has been having a lot of bad episodes lately, but hopefully having visitors that he knows well won't set him off.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed: I'm not ready to say goodbye to him just yet.

Hope you all have a lovely summer.  Hopefully I'll be back before the end of it, but I won't make any promises that I can't guarantee that I'll keep.  Take care all!

6 comments:

  1. You've been missed...by me at least. I felt the same way and haven't made too much in the past year. I just didn't have the strength to look at a pattern or pick up the scissors or anything like unto it. It's starting to pick back up, a tiny. The witches looked darling. And that torch was awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love love love the flame! or torch! perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Different Prints on bags and clothes are really very nice.All are really wonderful creations.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The creative designs are really eye catching.Thanks for sharing with me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really appreciate this wonderful post that you have provided for us.Great site and a great topic as well i really get amazed to read this...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful designs for carrying bags.Nice intriguing article. It provides informative insights to the blog readers like me.

    ReplyDelete