5 / 5

I know, I know, it's been months.  I could lie and say that I've been off contemplating the role of blogging in my life or that I gave up technology in a bid to find my true basic self.  The reality is that I lost my mojo.  I'm not sure where I mislaid it.  I just know that I started 2013 knitting an ugly scarf and some finger-less mittens, then suddenly the weather warmed up and I just didn't feel the urge to make anything any more.

The ideas were still there, but the will was lacking.  I found myself picking up a crossword puzzle book instead of a needle and thread.  I wasn't reading any blogs, I hardly pinned a thing.
Then last week my friend's 39 year old husband suddenly died.  Fit, slim, healthy and one of the nicest blokes that you could ever meet.  Not just pleasant, but one of those genuinely nice people that make you feel at ease straight away.  One of those that you could not imagine ever having an unkind word to say about anyone.  His children are just 3 and 5 years old.    
I was upset.  I was also angry.  The nicest people that I know seem to always be the ones that get the bad breaks in life.  Oh, I was angry.
I also realised that I missed having a project at hand to work on.  Something to slow the hands and then the mind.  Something to reset my rhythm and calm the soul.
So, I have a plan to find my mojo: 5 projects in 5 weeks.  That's it.  Small or big.  Could even just be a doodle.  Most likely will end up involving some stuff for my son's class' play (I thought that I had been doing well at keeping a low profile at school, but somehow someone has noticed that I can draw and told the teacher.  Now painting sets has been mentioned and I'm scared - I haven't mixed paint since senior school...).  So, 5 projects, 5 weeks.  Join in if you'd like.

Translation of the Day:
UK English: bloke = guy in US English
UK English: jolly = very or extremely in US English

As in, he really was a jolly nice bloke.

PS.  Do they have to take away Google Reader??  I lost half of the blogs that I followed when switching from Bloglines, or whatever it was called.  Has anyone got any recommendations for a feed reader?  Also, drop me a comment if I used to pop in and say hello sometimes on your blog - it was probably one of those that got lost in the last shuffle...


  1. Happy you are back. I'm so sorry about your friend.
    I tried a few aggregators including feedly and didnt like them. Newsblur has been a win for me...

  2. I'm so sorry about your friend. Peace to you, and to the family.
    Love the flower fields... Carlsbad?

  3. Sounds a bit ghastly. It's nice you are back. I might try to join in with 5/5 - I don't always make it though...

    I have found feedly to be great, and you import all from reader which is awesome...

  4. so very sorry to read about your friend. i am his age... a jolt of mortality is actually what i needed this morning. life is short, too short too be worried about silly stuff. i feel for his family & children, wishing them the best.

    i've successfully migrated to feedly, and am learning to like it better than google reader...

  5. So sorry that you have lost a friend so abruptly. I know that crafting is always a comfort to me so I can see why you would miss having it to hand. I've been using Bloglovin' and prefer the look of it to Google Reader, even if I miss being able to view the whole post within the reader.

  6. Very sorry for the loss of your friend,...very glad to see you back but I do know what you mean about everything just going blah- and I think we're sort of wired that way- sometimes we just need to go on slow cook if you know what I mean- and whatever you do as you get back into stuff won't be the same-and it shouldn't be really- but it will be you:) ...looking forward to the 5 weeks!

    As for the google issue- I'm feeling the same- switched to bloglovin' but can't say I like it- will be checking out the suggestions here!

    All the best!

  7. Hey,
    so sorry to hear about your friends....
    I was one blog where you did come visit...but it's on hold because I am trying to define what exactly I want to do with it...
    I really love that idea of 5project in 5 weeks....I think I am going to follow you on that one....
    I am using netvibes....even with the changes, things are the same...(I know it's like one thing and its opposite in few words...)
    I am so happy you are back around here....
    xxx from this side of the world.

  8. Sorry about your friend. I have just found bloglovin but not sure on it. If you find your mojo can you see if mine is there.

    Luv Jane xx

  9. Sounds like a rough time. Good thing about blogs (like knitting) is the ability to put them down and pick them up as it suits. Hope your projects bring you comfort.

    And I don't like bloglovin'. Been trying to get used to it to no avail.

  10. So sorry about your friend..
    Bloglovin' is a good tool for blog following
    I don't remember who said that he had to sit and write for 8 hours, in case inspiration came so that It found him at work. (I think it was Camilo Jose Cela, a Spanish Nobel prize writer)...

  11. Gosh, that it is awful. So young and with little one's to boot. Sorry.
    I think the fun and magic of blogging has evaporated a bit - the internet has become so congested and mind fracturing. At least for me, even though I still occasionally pop in. And I do value the friendships I've made over the years, and the inspiration to try something new. It is nice to see you back here with those gorgeous photos of flowers! Beautiful!
    I use Feedly, especially the phone app.

  12. How dreadfully sad. My thoughts are with his family and those kids...they have a tough road ahead.

    Glad to see you back online. I think we all lose our mojo from time to time...I know I do! Nothing like a deadline to kick-start it though.. I had a big clear out of quilt tops I didn't love so they got finished and donated and now that I've learnt I'm teaching in the fall that has spurred me on to a new project. So I'm sure 5 projects 5 weeks will get you going.

    As for google reader...I've moved to feedly and really like it. They are pro-actively trying to get a really good service going and their app is just as good as the web interface...something to consider if you read blogs on a tablet.

  13. Found your earlier post. Oh, Dawn. Am so sorry about your friend. And her family and kids. So sad. And feels so unfair, yes.

    I use feedly too. Well, I'm still hanging onto googlereader but I've moved to feedly as well, and will probably migrate there for good come July (or whenever GR disappears).

    Hang in there with the craft mojo thing. It will come back. Mine usually does when I have a deadline, too. I don't usually enjoy crafting when I'm in that state but I'm forced to produce something (usually costumes) nonetheless and seeing the finished thing makes me feel (falsely) productive, which translates to feeling a bit mojo-ish. Your masks (in the next post) look like you've been cured, though! WHoo!