Want to see some rubbish sewing?

Didn't even have four and a half days to churn out these costumes in the end.  Many conversations along the lines of "are you sure that you wouldn't rather be a cowboy - you have a checked shirt" were had, but the choices of Supergirl and Captain America were not to be budged from.
Still, if I'm to be honest, it's not like I would have spent much more time on them, anyway.  My normal sewing standards go out the window when it comes to making something that will only be worn a handful of times, mostly in the dark.  Cheap fabric, pinked seams, haphazard stitching are all the order of the day when it comes to Halloween costumes - that shield is made from an embroidery hoop, a scrap of fabric and some cheap felt, for starters!
Despite all this, the offspring are still happy.  Their mum is happy, too, as these costumes ended up costing less than $10.  Maybe I'd be more enthusiastic about Halloween if I had grown up celebrating it, but it just wasn't that big of a deal in England when I was a kid.  I went to just one Halloween party (mum let me cut up an old skirt, and I cobbled together a witch costume, complete with a cardboard hat) in the years before university.  Trick or treating was something I had only seen in American movies.  
Still, the costumes have survived two events, so far.  Just the trick or treating on the actual night to go, now.  Then come the days of their mum confiscating the best of the sweets for any bad behaviour in the days that follow... ;-)

Translation of the day:
UK English: rubbish = trash in US English.  It's also used to describe things that are poor quality or nonsense.

As in, "That book was absolutely rubbish!" "Rubbish!  That isn't true!" "Yes, it is, put it in the rubbish bin"

10 comments:

  1. That's not rubbish sewing, Dawn! It's great! And we have a Supergirl in our house too. Except mine couldn't be rubbish sewing because it's satin (fray-fest) and fleece, to ward off hypothermia (and yet it's a miniskirt because couldn't convince Supergirl to go maxi. Apparently, it's hard to fight crime dressed in a gown).

    I love your costumes. Seriously. That captain america helmet is sublime!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are fantastic!! And that's what I love about Halloween sewing...you can use safety pins, tape, string, etc. and it doesn't matter if the sewing is all wonky because it only has to last a bit. Then again the boys wore their store bought batman costume year round...
    I can see your kids wearing these costumes a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no - bad sewing is when you cut a hole in a sheet and thy to pass them off as a ghost! I have to try and pull off some costumes tomorrow. I think it is going to get ugly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are fab costumes! I'm really impressed. Halloween is gaining more momentum on this side of the Atlantic, but it still isn't the same as you get in the US and Canada. The Brits still think it's only about witches and ghosts and the costumes don't really vary from that. It makes it hard to be enthusiastic and my costume making has gone down the pan since living here...(I hang my head in shame!) My kid is going as a witch...pathetic, I know! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here we are still just going with black school skirt cut in shreds, a cape and a pointy hat. Might really stick with the retro British Halloween style and make a witches broomstick that falls apart. All in the name of keeping it vintage!

    ReplyDelete
  6. my boy's kitty cat costume was mistaken for a cow and skunk. i had a 1/2 hour! all in all, he knew what he was!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. rubbish about rubbish sewing! The night before Halloween, my little guy said "mom, you're gonna finish my costume tonight right?" I got little sleep that night. People asked if he was a banana.
    You're amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi,

    Your comments about rubbish reminded me of a number of years ago when I lived in the States and my neighbour got a big kick out of her three year old running in the house to tell her that the 'bin men' were coming. We were obviously Anglasising (sp?) him.

    I loved your costumes but am so glad those days are over for me - never did like doing fancy dress whatever the occasion.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are most definitely not rubbish! You did a great job! No wonder your kids are thrilled with them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Brilliant! Totally love the superhero theme - it was a favourite for us here in Scotland too :) http://myguidetohomemade.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11/superhero-pumpkin.html
    Your costumes are definitely not rubbish or trash. I couldn't convince my boy I could be trusted to make a costume so he went shop bought - grr!! But my girl is too small to know any better :)

    ReplyDelete