Up and down

The handmade Christmas presents did get finished on time, even the knitted ones. The late start did mean that I didn't find the colour yarn that I wanted for the hot water bottle cover, but mum didn't seem to mind. It's another version of the one that I had made before.Also on the list: One replacement pair of knit mitts for my mother-in-law, who was missing the pair that she had lost;some beeswax candles made by the kids for their teachers, along with some British chocs from the import store in a handmade drawstring bag;and a little bag of sewing projects that I put together to go with a beginner's sewing kit for a couple of nieces.I put together the booklet using some projects from PurlBee.com, along with some basic stitch instructions. I cut out the felt pieces ready for them and collected together all the notions needed, so all they have to do is the sewing. I also got them a commercial sewing project kit, which had holes pre-punched in the felt, so these projects would be the next step. Hopefully.Christmas already seems like it was so long ago. It was a mixed one: my parents were over, so I got to celebrate it British-style, for once, even having the traditional dinner on the day itself. Then one of our dogs stopped on his walk and refused to go on.

Much of the remainder of the day was spent at the Emergency Vet's office, quietly weeping, as I was told that he had heart failure, with possibly not much time to go. We had to leave him overnight... Yet when we took him to another vet for a follow-up ultrasound a day or so later, she disagreed completely with the diagnosis. So, two large vet bills later, it looks as though our elderly dog is healthy after all. Hopefully.


It feels like the last week of 2011 was a bit of a rollercoaster of emotions. A worrying lump on my son's neck is not worrisome now the doc has taken a look. Our Boxing Day family party went well, but that evening was the start of a few days of sickness for me. We had some lovely day trips and a stroll around the Christmas lights; but there was also a little girl not happy about having eye drops for pink-eye. Still, my parents said that they did enjoy their visit and all the worries seem to be sorted (By the way, if you are going to get ill, I heartily recommend doing it when your mum is in town. I had forgotten what it was like to be able to crawl back into bed for a morning, instead of still having to run around after the kids as usual...).


All's well that ends well.


In hindsight, it was a good Christmas.


Translation of the day:
UK English: Boxing Day = the day after Christmas Day (December 26th) in US English. It's a public holiday in Britain and several other Commonwealth countries
UK English: skint = broke, penniless in US English
As in, many more Christmas Day trips to the Emergency Vet and we will soon be skint...

Take care all. Best wishes for a happy and healthy 2012.

10 comments:

  1. sounds like enough crisis for now. Happy New year and all that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ((hugs)) for what sounds like a very emotional Christmas. Hope you are feeling better soon...sounds like you timed it well if your mom took over :o) Aren't moms the best!?

    Happy New Year and all the best for 2012!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy New Year! It sounds a lot like our Christmas in Spain... but I'm glad it was good after all.
    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy belated Boxing Day - whilst living in the US we always made a big seal of celebrating it. Now we've moved away we find there is a lot about an American Christmas that we miss! Hope you're all feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish you a lovely and sweet new year !!!!
    Hopefully, things will roll smoothly now....

    ReplyDelete
  6. fantastic! I'm having sewing machine troubles at the moment, so I had to settle for giving framed family photos (with dear departed Dad). Your gifts look so lovely though! and terrifically thoughtful. Wishing you a glorious new year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ohhh, my little chickens would looove a starter sewing kit like that one - how inspiring! Not that I'm surprised I'm always inspired when I pop over to yours. : )
    Happy New Year to you and yours and all the best for a totally fab 2012 x Alisa

    ps: love the last translation, so very true : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank goodness for mums! I really hope you're feeling recovered after a stressful time for all.

    The handmade sewing kits are a lovely idea, lots of great gift ideas.

    Wishing you a happy new year! x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Blimey, talk about a rollercoaster!

    I'm loving those handmade sewing kits. I think there may be a couple of little girls here who might enjoy something similar ...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like you had a lot of ups and downs during the Christmas break, good thing your parents were over and everything is fine now. My Mum and Mother in Law (yes, we do have disagreements now and again) are great, I'm not sure what I will do without them.

    I'm so impressed with all the lovely handmade gifts you made this year. I really need to be more organised for next Christmas.

    ReplyDelete