Fabric design DIY

So much for my resolution that 2012 would be a more productive year craft-wise. All I've done so far is sew up the edges of a cushion cover. My offspring have been more productive than their mum: they've been working on a sewing kit received at Christmas. The constant tying of knots and untangling of threads has been my contribution. My son has been off school with the lurgy all this week, though, so it turns out that we still have a few more days of health issues to deal with.

I did get to play around on the computer while he napped and put together a little fabric design, though. Double-deckers, (old-style) minis and black cabs: I entered it into this week's cityscape contest at Spoonflower. I know it's not a cityscape, but all they asked for was something inspired by a city, so I picked London. It could have just as easily been several British cities, mind. Even my school bus was a double-decker bus. I still remember an elderly neighbour taking me on my first bus ride into the town centre on a double-decker, letting me sit at the front on the top deck, much to my delight.

I'm sure that you've all heard of Spoonflower by now. You upload a design and they professionally print it onto fabric for you. It's something that I thought that I'd be champing at the bit to try, but I didn't actually get around to testing them out until towards the end of last year.

My verdict? I was impressed. I picked quilting cotton for the fabric and was expecting that heavy stiff stuff that you find on the cheaper racks of the fabric store. Instead it is lightweight and reasonably drapey. It's not the softest quilting fabric that I have felt, but it was much better than I expected. As for the colour reproduction, this was the design on my PC: and this was how the swatch looked:Actually, that was how the swatch looked with some white paper behind it. Like I said, it was fairly lightweight fabric, so the white areas were slightly transparent. This is how the swatch looked with a dark background behind it:Plus, thanks to a few people buying a yard or two of that design, I have some 'Spoondollars' to put towards my next purchase...

Translation of the day:
UK English: the lurgy = undetermined mild illness in US English
As in, I hope that I do not catch the dreaded lurgy. It's similar to the American term 'cooties', but adults will say 'lurgy', too - and it doesn't have to be infectious.

As for my son, his body is obviously fighting something off, as he's had a fever all week, but not much in the way of other symptoms - except for general moping and listlessness. A nap during the day was big departure from the norm for him...

8 comments:

  1. Wow, I like your fabric! That is a really cool idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice fabric!

    I thought cooties were nits?

    Hope the lurgy doesn't spread through your household.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing designs! I can see you doing a whole collection OF fabrics! ;) thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fun fabric designs. Is your hot water bottle cozy your own design or is it from a pattern? Hope your son feels better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so brave - I've been eyeing Spoonflower for a while, but haven't had the guts to actually try it. And I never understood how selling your fabric made you Spoonflower bucks. That's a nice perk. :) The fabric is very British and very cute! You know I have a preference for English things. I'd buy all my clothes from Boden if I could afford it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. cute fabric!

    Hope your son feels better soon...it's not nice when they aren't themselves...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know other towns have double-deckers but the red ones are mainly a London thing, aren't they? I seem to think Leeds's are green... And not many places have our lovely purring taxis. Spoonflower looks really fun; I've been hand-printing some fabric lately but might try out mass-production one day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fabulous fabric! I love those red buses. Hope the lurgy has now disappeared!

    ReplyDelete