Satisfying sewing

I've been doing lots of the boring type of sewing lately: mending jeans (I should probably accept that my favourite pair might need to be laid to rest soon. That's a traumatic moment for me, especially as I have not been having much luck in finding a suitable replacement. Jeans that are not tight at the knees are apparently not in style right now and all I've found so far is a pair of wide leg jeans that I'm convinced that I am too short for. The search continues...); raising hems (like I said, I'm short) and alterations (I make all of a couple of things for myself and suddenly I'm convinced that I can take things apart at the seams to improve the fit. This might well end in tears, especially as I'm now wondering if I could make those flares a little less wide...). Anyway, it was rather nice to return to the more satisfying type of sewing that is making something from scratch:I picked the fabric out for this one as soon as I cobbled together my first shirt. This one is a little narrower and I also added back darts to give it a little more shape.I skipped the buttons this time, but might add some decorative frog closures, if I can find some smaller ones than the ones in my local fabric store.
The sleeves are 3/4 length, but this was the only photo of them unrolled that I could find where I wasn't pulling a daft face. My son has a knack for taking ages to take a picture, then taking it the minute that I start to say something. His giggling at the results is leading me to believe that that might not be wholly unintentional...Translation of the Day:

Here's one that came up in conversation with my husband the other day:

UK English: hen night = bachelorette party in US English

UK English: stag night = bachelor party in US English

13 comments:

  1. really cute top.. you are inspiring me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeans are like that - they become members of the family and are impossible to replace.

    I love the top. The darts in the back are perfect for a great fit and the fabric is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Having to part with my favourite jeans causes me physical pain - but your shirt is glorious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the shirt! I can't see the detail in the front opening! is it a ruffle?? Great fabric

    ReplyDelete
  5. really beautiful job on the shirt, I'm gonna try to tackle a similar job soon. I mended a pair of jeans recently (though it's too hot to wear them now) and had to give up on another pair... sigh.

    stitch on!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the shirt and the fabric, it looks great on you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wowzer that is a great shirt, well done you !!
    Twiggy x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great shirt, I like your ammendments to the original. I have made one so far, and wear it so little that I need a re-do. For me, it's too wide, too short, and too low in front. And God knows how much bust that woman anticipates you having to poke in there - I'm a small chest girl anyway but this made me feel waaaay small up top. I too have been on the mending front. Mostly for Thing 1 and Thing 2, but I did put a button on one of my own clothes the other day (3 months since it fell off). Happy summer!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lush blog! Just been reading through your old posts and you've given me hope that my own lack of sewing terminology or indeed erm, skill in my case, will not necessarily stop me from being able to make real clothes...that could actually be worn!

    Loving the translations too, they're always the cause of much hilarity on a site I go to where I'm almost the only Brit amongst lots of Americans. I inadvertantly insulted a friend when I posted "Happy Birthday to a top geezer!" not realising a geezer is an old fogie across the pond :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love that top! Can you please tell me which pattern this is? I've been looking for a nice one! Thanks!

    Bernie
    Washington

    ReplyDelete
  11. That top is darling! I love the fabric you used!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well I've been mending nappy covers if that makes your jean mending seem more exciting - I recently tried to explain the hen/stag thing myself and got stuck ... why do hens and stags get married?

    ReplyDelete