I'm still not ready for summer

Easter, two children on Spring break, day trips to zoos and gardens, a daughter turning 6 (cake turned out a little too sweet - her brother's last month must have just been a fluke...) and a visiting mother-in-law... I didn't have much time for blogging last week. I apparently also disappointed several Americans by NOT watching the Royal wedding (it was AT 3AM California time! I did have a gander at the photos on the newspaper's website in the morning, of course. I want some of that Union flag bunting - is there any left? Mainly to annoy my American husband by hanging it about the house...)I did squeeze in a little sewing time, though. 2nd attempt at sewing something for me: It started out as the summer blouse from Weekend Sewing, but to be honest, the only thing that I kept the same from the original pattern were the shoulder seams. I moved the bust darts up, lowered the neckline, changed the neckline, changed the construction of the neckline, moved the side seams in, added button loops and buttons, shortened the sleeves (I might be unrolling them and making them a cuffed 3/4 length sleeve yet - I haven't made my mind up)... Ok, I think that might be it for the alterations. Still, I'm happy with it. I made this version out of some fabric that I'd be willing to have for a pyjama top if it all went pear-shaped, but I've already worn this one in public without attracting any noticeable public ridicule... I've got the fabric picked out for my next version.Translation of the day:
(A bit of a rude one this week, but this came up during my friend's visit to the US last week...)

UK English: shag (slang) = sexual intercourse in US English

US English: shag = some sort of swing dance

You can imagine that she was quite surprised to hear her parent's American neighbours declare that they were tired out from too much shagging....

13 comments:

  1. you sure look ready for summer to me! that shirt will wear beautifully into the warmer weather. well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i agree with kristin! and i CANNOT believe you were not up at 3am for the wedding! ha! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bravo with the shirt - it's really flattering.

    But now then, about the wedding. You do realise you're going to have to trade in your passport, don't you? :-) I would have liked union jack bunting too, only I was too lazy to sew any and couldn't find any in our local shops (!) I ended up printing some which did the job and is now curling up on the windowsill which is rather less festive.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think most Brits wouldn't have watched the wedding if it was on at 3 am instead of during a nice day off from work. Being a crafter I wanted to see the dress so I switched on to catch a glimpse and got sucked in to how sweetly in love they looked. I'm a sucker for weddings. I don't think I'm unusual in my reaction to the wedding, ie really not bothered except for the dress but got sucked in despite myself. I really do think the rest of the world was more bothered than the UK, until it happened.

    By the way, very sweet top.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the shirt, totally good summer wear and the translation of the day made me laugh out loud, very funny. Here in Aus we got to watch the wedding Friday evening so as an UK girl in Aus I was telling those at our house about everything London. It was fun. The dress was amazing. So beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just to confuse the Americans even further I found this -"Shag - The finest shred of pipe tobacco, in which the leaves are shredded into long, but extremely thin pieces. Gives a fiery burn and is extremely popular, even though in Edwardian England it was considered a thing of the poor. The majority of shag tobaccos contain a high amount of virginia tobacco, as their longer leaves allow this cut." ( We used to have an old fashioned tobacconist/sweet shop in our town!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That top is wonderful! I am thinking about making some just like that for myself. It's time to move beyond wearing a t-shirt every day.
    Also, there's a terrible movie called Shag from the 90's that describes the dance in more detail, if you're interested :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. the shagging convo quite hilarious! i'm envious of your sewing skills. that shirt is fabulous! I only watched a few brief recaps of the wedding. they just looked so relaxed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cute top! I need to make something like that for my summer wardrobe.

    I've never heard the word "shag" used in the US. Who knew?

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is such a cool top - I think you might be more ready for summer than you think! :)
    My hubby recorded the wedding for me since we were visiting family that night. I found the whole thing really enjoyable (except for Euginie and Bea's head piece/outfit).

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your shirt looks fab (and much more flattering than the unaltered pattern)!

    But I think not watching the wedding might be a treasonable offence (is that even a word?). Best not mention it next time you clear customs....

    ReplyDelete
  12. you are so cute! and i love that shirt and the cute little dress below! you look petite enough to get away with short. if i wore it (at 5'9", i'd probably look as if i'd forgotten my pants!

    my 15 year old niece got up at 4am to watch the wedding. it is pretty cool, but egads? 3 or 4am is the middle of the night folks! they should have just time delayed it for us all :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are in luck! Sainsbury's were selling the bunting off at 20p a string (5m each) and I've bought you two packs! I've also picked up Union Jack flags for 20p (2ftx3ft) if that is of any interest. If you like I'd be happy to pop it in the post to you! Just drop me an email!

    ReplyDelete