Crossing the divide

It is possible that I might never get around to answering e-mails or reading blogs ever again: I have discovered the watch instantly feature on Netflix. I truly thought that it would only be the dregs on offer, too. So, having just finished reading North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell and seeing mention on Goodreads that the BBC had done a mini series, I was very surprised - and happy - to discover that I could watch it online immediately.

I don't know if hearing English accents and seeing places that I recognise makes me more or less homesick. Most likely more so. I do feel sorry for Richard Armitage, the actor who played Mr. Thornton, though. I imagine that any girlfriend of his that has seen that series must be constantly pestering him to scowl a bit and put on that accent...
.
I might have been neglecting my inbox, but watching the series did help me finally get around to making a wee baby blanket for a nephew that will be soon putting in an entrance to this world (Ravelry link here). Ok, ok, so you all know that I don't crochet that fast. I *might* have watched the series twice...
Plus it took me about 15 bloomin' attempts at various patterns to find a zig-zag that worked for me. I cobbled this one out of this pattern, skipping the lengthwise stripes and seaming - then adding in some horizontal stripes instead. The usual avoidance of pale baby colours took place - my hope is that the baby blankets that I give are the ones that get use, as the mum won't be dreading that it gets vomited on or what have you...
.
You know, I don't think that I would have predicted that when I was in my early thirties that I'd have been spending an evening watching a period drama while crocheting a baby blanket. Anyone looking at a list of my likes would probably think that I had some sort of split personality. I like to read so-called 'gritty' murder mysteries; watch action movies and rugby; listen to rock, golden oldies and the like; I like to ski and to swim; I like putting together furniture and DIY; I have often been treated as one of the lads by male friends - and am therefore cynical about romance and all that, avoiding chick flicks with a groan. Yet you'll also find me spending quiet time at home sewing, knitting, crocheting and drawing; reading the odd Gaskell or Austen or Dickens; listening to classical music when I clean; crying at Out of Africa (ah, that bit when she gets on her knees to beg for the land for the tribe...tch).
.
When looking for a YouTube clip, I noticed that rather a lot of the comments tended to be along the lines of admiration for the aforementioned Armitage, so this seemed like a good time for these translations:

Translation of the Day:
UK English: dishy = good looking or attractive in US English
UK English: fit = good looking or attractive in US English
UK English: tidy = good looking or attractive in US English
UK English: fancy = be attracted to someone or have a crush on someone in US English
UK English: totty = attractive person that you are considering as a sexual object in US English
.
Take care all,

18 comments:

  1. Good for you making blankets people will use. I have beautiful blankets and jumpers, lovingly knitted in cream wool that I never dared get near either of my two.

    And, oh my, Richard Armitage. Just wait till you get to see Spooks. With Rupert Penry Jones in it at the same time. Ooof.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's easy to get sucked into the movies when they are so easy to access.

    Lovely baby blanket!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now you know why I don't post as often any more. I was so proud of myself for not having cable, but who needs cable when you have netflix?

    Nice baby blanket. I'm half way through a sweater due to watching the Robin Hood series.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I love a good romantic period drama! Thanks for the tip. : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a big fan of the BBc series. You should check tjose one too : from the same author (I think of north and south) Wives and daughter (amazing dresses !!!). And there is also lark rise to candleford (you can see it on stream) they have started the third season and there is also with Lady Judy Dench Cranford....I would say there are my madeleines...(a little french cake/biscuit)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the bright colors in that baby blanket!

    And North and South is on Netflix? I'll have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the baby blanket. Since I've 'found' blogging I hardly read my two magazines a month - just read December issue of one, and October of the other! Daren't find Netfix!

    Best wishes
    Rose H

    ReplyDelete
  8. Richard Armitage.......... yum! Check out spooks & Robin Hood to get the full fix, might do that myself this evening!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely Blanket, Lovely costume drama. I was so captivated by it when it was on, & now it's one of the dvds I can stick on while I sew.

    Also about the many sides of you thing - this is why people are interesting. Sometimes I feel that the internet and blogging in particular can one-dimensionalise (that's so not a word) a person, esp if your blog concentrates on one thing or the other, but it's great to find out the hidden things.

    And isn't UK English full of lovely words about fancying people?

    ReplyDelete
  10. as fabulous as Armitage is..and i hate to be obvious.. but you can't knock Colin Firth as Darcy.. not so much the wet shirt.. but the brooding turmoil that hides a passion crying out to be loved..ohh *sigh* ...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just finished watching North and South as well. I watched it while cutting fabric for my daughter's new dress. I loved it. The instant viewing on Netflix really is dangerous. I watched Wives and Daughters after North and South and liked that as well although North and South was a bit better in my opinion.

    I am American born and bred (my ancestors did originate in England but came over here in the 17 and 18th centuries) but I am drawn to British literature and shows. I watch Masterpiece religiously to catch many of them and am going through Dr. Who withdrawal since I lost my cable and can't find the new season (or series in UK English) online.

    Oh and I love your blog, have been reading it for more than a year.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I JUST watched North and South for the first time last week. Love the Netflix streaming feature! Up next is Bleak House, I think. I'm a big fan of period dramas, but a bit embarrassed to admit I don't read the books. *sigh*

    Too bad I can't sew and watch TV. I can't knit and watch either so I haven't gotten much done. That's a tidy blanket you have there, posing with a fit teddy. A sweet gift for you dishy nephew. I'm sure I used all those words incorrectly, but I couldn't help myself!

    ReplyDelete
  13. hey, nice comment link on your blog :)
    i'm a german in california, crafting, too, and can absolutely understand the delight of instant gratification on TV.
    great reasoning for the no-baby-colors with the blanket. plus, it might be used for much longer that way!
    since we have netflix, too, i'll have to check out that show. thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. i just had a lovely time strolling through your post and the comments! hey at least you were productive whilst watching instant netflix! and we have that split personality in common - i'm such a tomboy, but also love more girly things as well.
    probably shouldn't add this but what fun to call my husband a totty later today and then giggle shamelessly like some sort of tart (isn't that english?) it's funny but i have relatives that live (or lived) on smith island, maryland and they have retained much of the english slang and way of speaking so i follow you're phrasing quite easily.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Did you get to watch any rugby this weekend??
    The Italians were great. the Irish were robbed and the English were dire!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the baby blanket! You do such beautiful projects!
    And I can hardly wait to watch North and South. Looks like the perfect companion as I iron my basket full of clothes! (Anything would make that task better, but the preview of North and South looks fabulous!)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the blanket (Or should I say, "luv the blänket") I love Britain accent than American and Irish /Scottish too!!! Wish I could speak good Britain accent someday...

    ReplyDelete
  18. That Mr Thornton, mmm. delicious.

    ReplyDelete