What did the big tomato say to the dawdling little tomato?

Ketchup.
I feel like I am a long way from catching up, though. We seem to have spent most of 2011 taking the cars in repeatedly for repair. Rather annoyingly most of the repairs were on the car that we were looking to replace. Was one more week of health that much to ask of it?? Still, we now have a new (to us, not new new) car... and that's when the computer decided to have a funny spell...
.
A wee school project meant that my son and I did get to squeeze in a little crafting time. After writing a report on an animal, he then had to do a creative project about his animal, such as a mask, a diorama (still not sure what that is), a puppet, a picture, a sculpture etc. After a quick web search for inspiration, my son proceeded to ignore all of my subtle attempts to steer him in any direction and decided that he wanted to make a wood and string puppet.
Ok. Well, this is what we came up with. I did the drilling. He did all of the painting etc. All the knots were a little fiddly, though, so I ended up doing a lot of the actual assembly.
That's when I decided that we should try another project, where he is the one doing ALL of the work. So a hand puppet it was.
He has done a little bit of embroidery before, but I thought that he did a really good job with his first attempt at sewing. The stitching is a little wonky - and he decided to draw the mouth and eyes on, rather than embroider it - but still. Oh, hopefully you can tell that his animal was a lion.
Valentine's day came and went, so more of our broken crayons disappeared into the oven. .
I used an ice cube tray this time - melting the crayons first, then pouring them into the mould. It worked ok, but I preferred using the oven-safe cupcake mould (that a certain husband threw out by mistake...).
A pebble baby vest was a quick knit. My version (ravelry link) was a little smaller than the pattern's stated size, but that's a good thing, as the wee baby that I knitted it for is a teeny tiny 2 pounder.
.
That's about it on the crafting front. It's been weeks since I last dragged my poor sewing machine out. There's not even going to be a translation of the day today - I've run out of time. My daughter has lost her glasses, homework needs to be started and I haven't even begun making the promised stew for dinner yet. Hopefully I'll remember to plug the slow cooker in this time...
.
Take care all.

17 comments:

  1. So many great projects! Love the puppet and the crayons.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You made the teacher in me so happy by helping him find a project he could do himself! They are both pretty cool, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. the ice cube tray attempt was probably worth the effort anyway. I made a huge stack of these recently for our school fete (using the oven ones) and the oven safe ones are much more expensive, much harder to find and much more limited in range.
    Will try ice cube trays myself next time :-)
    xxxCate

    ReplyDelete
  4. btw you could use slow cooker as another translation (I think they're called crock pots in the US??)
    xxxCate

    ReplyDelete
  5. such lovely lions! they are totally adorable :)

    btw - a diorama is like a shadow box. check out this link http://www.squidoo.com/shoebox-diorama

    they are fun to make (I KNOW; my kids have done a few!)

    best!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your little guy had a perfect mom for his crafty projects! That string puppet looks incredibly complex, but very nice.

    When I was in elementary school my teachers made us bring a shoe box to school and make a scene from one of our stories in it. Did you do that? Those, I found out later, are called dioramas. I think your puppet is much more fun.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your son did a great job on his lion puppet! The string puppet is super cute, too.

    US Elementary school teachers are inordinately fond of dioramas; I definitely prefer your projects.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is great, how cute is your lion hand puppet, I love it!!! I'm also loving your crayons. We've been stockpiling chocolate moulds to make some from for the summer fairs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello!!!
    You have a great and lovely blog; I like it and I will follow it!!!
    xxx
    Olga

    ReplyDelete
  10. that is one perfect lion!

    I think whose crayons are so sweet... I only ever used the oven and old cupcake tins, but the shape is a bit boring... round... nothing special... but icecubes trays come in all sorts of shapes. (how did you melt the crayons?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Both puppets are just darling! Did you use a pattern for the hand puppet?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love these school projects! My favorite was when my son had to make up his own animal and then make a model of it, very fun!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That vest is adorable. I need to get my knitting needles out one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think he did a wonderful job on the hand puppet! That mane is incredible ... did he do that, too?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks like 'DYNAMO' status runs through the family! All of these projects are fab! Love the lion hand puppet, so cute! Gives me hope that I'll be able to teach my little ones to sew some time in the future.

    ReplyDelete