Weaving in loose ends

Normally winter is knitting season for me, but I haven't had much on my needles this winter. It's possible that I have finally decided that someone living in California only needs so many hand warmers and scarves. Nah, that's not it. I don't know. I just haven't been inspired by any of the yarn found locally. I have a couple of cardigans that I'd like to attempt, but I haven't been able to find anything suitable (the shutting down of 2 local yarn stores hasn't helped).
.
Then I went to a home goods store and saw a rather nice crocheted cushion. I picked it up, put it down, picked it up, put it back, went home without it, regretted it, returned, then sulked because someone else had since bought it. It still took one of my dear offspring accidentally cutting one of our pillow covers while doing their homework AND seeing these before I got out the needles, mind. I would have loved to use cream coloured yarn like that, but that would not last 2 minutes in this house, so practical 'taupe' it was.
I actually knitted a swatch for once, then came up with a quick pattern for a snug fit. I think that the back is called a buttoned envelope closure.
The best part is that I prefer it to that crocheted one I saw in the store...
.
February already? Really? I'm trying to make progress on my resolutions. In terms of getting more organised, my garage is still a state, but I've almost got the google reader thing loaded up with blogs to read. I've set up a Facebook page for this blog, mainly so that I can have a visual bookmark system. For example, if I want to find the entry for an outfit that I have made, I can go to the clothes photo album and when I click on the photo there's a link to the page in the photo caption.
I haven't got very far with adding the photos yet, though... I did want to add the blog feed to the page, too, but it keeps telling me that it can not find it.
.
While on the subject of Facebook, I'm here. If you do want to add me as a friend, let me know in the message section that you're a crafter, so that I know why you want to add me - I've had a few weird friend requests that seem to have come out of nowhere. Hmm, where else? Ah, I have a profile on Ravelry - a little bit neglected during my knitting slump, and Goodreads - a book review sharing site.
.
Oh, and I almost forgot Pinterest. It turns out that my old 'bookmarking' system of marking things 'unread' on Bloglines had a fatal flaw - when they sold the site all my 'bookmarks' disappeared. I know it serves me right for being too lazy to actually bookmark the pages, but I liked to skim the images. Pinterest has come to the rescue as a visual bookmark alternative.
.
I think that's all of my online profiles tidied up into one post. Meanwhile, here's another picture for those of you who are sick of winter: 'January in California'
(personally I didn't think that it was quite warm enough to warrant a dip in the ocean, but I was wearing short-sleeves).
.
Translation of the day:
UK English: football = soccer in US English
UK English: American football = football in US English
.
But my favourite form of football is rugby football.
.
UK English: hooker = a position on a rugby team (so you usually do not need to worry if Uncle Fred was a hooker during his school days...)
.
America may be watching the Superbowl this weekend, but it's all about the 6 Nations rugby tournament for me. Take care all.

11 comments:

  1. Adding the blog to Facebook is a nightmare. It took me ages. In the end I used Network Blogs app and that worked. The advantage with that is you can set it up to post a tweet when you post a blog entry as well. I feel so clever when all that happens when I hit publish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops it's actually NetworkedBlogs that works for adding the feed to Facebook.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everyone seems to be adding their blogs to facebook these days. Trouble is, I facebook under my real name and blog under my madeup pen-name so it all gets a bit confusing! One of these days I'll reconcile the two.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous cushion cover - now you just need a throw to go with it!!
    Am in the (very slow) process of figuring facebook out...so maybe one day I'll ask to be your friend (sorry, is it just me or does that sound so sad?!).

    Love your translations btw (am in a very funny ongoing conversation with an american blogger at the moment over intercontinental misunderstandings!). Hooker, oh and tight head prop - rugby is such a funny game. Ranks right up there with silly point and silly mid on!!

    xxxCate

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always enjoy your 'translations'!!
    I hope you were able to watch some of the 6 nations this weekend - I was at the Milennium Stadium to watch England beat Wales! what a fantastic match!
    My sons play rugby - one is a blindside flanker, the other plays lock

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your cushion cover is lovely! And I am VERY jealous of your CA weather right now...

    ReplyDelete
  7. no facebook for me. but pinterest a BIG yes :)
    your pillow is AWESOME ! love love it. love cables and the nice fit at the back. great job, really.

    and... I'm proud to say even as a French I knew the soccer/football translation yeahhh ;D

    ReplyDelete
  8. what a lovely knitter you are! your beach shot was far too painful for me to look at for more than a second... grateful your translations always make me laugh or I'd be quite depressed and homesick. Well, I'm still a little homesick... that's what February does to me even with references to Uncle Fred.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Passed the idea on to my mother. She's tired of the socks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The pillow looks great! I was just thinking about pinterest the other day and if that could replace my old version of saving posts on bloglines. It seems like it would be better (and not disappear over night) but I'm afraid it might get too cluttered so I'm trying to think through a good organizational system.

    ReplyDelete