A bed for the mouse-with-no-name

Happy New Year to you all! I hope that you enjoyed your break.
.
Thankfully the kids did like their gifts. They have had lots of play. One of the smallest gifts turned out to be a big favourite, though. We steer clear of getting teddies for my daughter, even though she is always convinced that there's room for one more in her vast collection. Father Christmas was the one that caved and got her a wee mouse. He's still the Mouse-with-no-name, but she's been taking him all about the place.
He does have the disadvantage of being too small for cuddling at night, though. I took pity on him left out in the cold on her nightstand, so I knocked him out his own little matchbox bed, complete with mattress, pillow and sheet. Much better. The only problem is that she now thinks that some of the other teddies could do with their own bed, too...
Christmas was a little quiet compared to ones back home: no big family gatherings, complete with dopey quizzes, games and playing cards for pennies until the early hours of the morning, for starters. We had the traditional Christmas roast dinner a day late on Boxing Day. I don't know how others make it look so easy. It tasted perfect, but my kitchen was a tip afterwards and the smoke alarm went off (I added Yorkshire puddings to the menu, and spilled some of the batter onto the bottom of the oven. Smoke ensued...). Still, Martha Stewart can rest easy, knowing that her job is safe for the now.
.
The rain kept us cooped up indoors for much of our break, but we managed to fill the days. I'm a few pounds heavier, thanks to having very little help when it came to eating the Christmas cake. The local paper published an editorial full of suggestions for recycling fruitcake (doorstop, dumbbell, pothole-filler... etc) - maybe I should have sent them some to sample...
I had no trouble finding takers for the gingerbread cookies, though.
I did try to explain to the kids that it is more humane to eat the head first.
.
So, New Year's Resolutions? Apart from losing the extra pounds left by the Christmas cake (Ok, and maybe even a few of the extra pounds that have appeared in the last 10 years, too...)? Well, I was off to a running start, by finally making 50 tooth bags for my daughter's Kindergarten:
Then my momentum ground to a halt when I realised that 'sort out the garage' was next on the list... I get a whole year for these, right?
.
Translation of the Day:
UK English: tip = an untidy place in US English

28 comments:

  1. That matchbox is the cutest. Did you paint it, or is there really a brand of matches with the word Mouse all over it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I think I need a matchbox bed too. I could slide myself shut in it and hide when it all gets too much.

    50 tooth bags? Blimey!

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. No Name has a wonderful home - quite posh for such a wee fella! Very cute. I'm relieved to hear that I'm not the only who set off smoke alarms while cooking (ahem). I can't believe you made soooo many tooth fairy pillows - I think after about 5 I would have made it to the garage - ha ha!

    ps- Let's not discuss extra pounds - k ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love the mouse bed, and the fabulous gingerbread photo - my mum got me a book on decorating gingerbread, which has some great designs in it, so i need to get baking.
    which kinda doesn't do much to help with the losing of the extra pounds ;S

    ReplyDelete
  5. love, love, love the matchbox !!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That little matchbox bed is adorable! And what a lucky kindergarten to get those tooth bags!

    Good luck with the garage!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That little matchbox bed is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know a couple of children who would love a toy mouse and cute bed like that. Your gingerbread folk look fantastic all in a row like that. Happy new year to you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the matchbox bed!! I wonder if they can make them in adult size ;)
    Are the tooth bags for putting lost teeth in? How big were they?

    ReplyDelete
  10. That little mouse is SO cute!

    I don't enjoy making the big meal either. It's incredible the amount of clean up involved that I don't enjoy at all... such a bad sport, I am!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your tiny mouse. He looks like his name would be Baxter. Is Baxter a british name? I'll have to google that now.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Not to worry, our jitchen looked like a bomb had hit it too when I had finished - it wouldn't be Christmas if it didn't!

    I adore the little mouse bed, I don't know how you did it but it's adorable!

    It's been pouring in the homeland all day today, if that helps any!

    The little girl I made your Mouse House for, called yesterday to say it arrived in the post, she adores it. Thank you so much for the tutorial, you made a little girl (and me!) very happy...

    Take care,
    a-m x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your blog...love your projects.
    I too am a UK in the US but I'm in AZ. I'm always surprised when I get to the end of each post and see the translation of the day because your posts make perfect sense to me LOL!!!!
    Anyway, coming out of lurkdom to to tell you how much I like your little mouse and toothbags :)
    Stacey

    ReplyDelete
  14. how did you make the little bed? It is lovely, and my little girl has 4 cold mice that came for Christmas with nowhere to sleep!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Super cute little mouse bed! I absolutely adore it.

    And yes, the proper way to eat a gingerbread boy is head first!

    Also - super impressed with your tooth bags!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Super cute little mouse bed! I absolutely adore it.

    And yes, the proper way to eat a gingerbread boy is head first!

    Also - super impressed with your tooth bags!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What an adorable matchbox bed.

    I'm a UK lass in the US too. Been in the midwest for 9 years and I have a 5 year old daughter and a 3 year old son - and we made the button wreath ornaments last year! :)

    I didn't make Christmas cake, but I did make Christmas pudding this past Christmas. :) My kids thought it was gross! Great idea to use Roses as a teacher gift too - I bought some for myself instead! :P

    I'm bookmarking your blog so I can stop by again and see more of your crafts.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the matchbox! I remember England's Glory well as I live only a few miles from the old factory in Gloucester!!! I haven't seen a matchbox in years!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy New Year to you too. Such great presents for the kids. The little mouse looks so cozy in the match box bed. The gingerbread men looks delicious too.

    ReplyDelete
  20. How talented you are. Love the mouse box and how you have used the old English match boxes as a template don't know how you did this. (please do tell)

    I love Christmas cake if its made right ;0) hence we could all do with loosing a little at our house lol

    Love Dawn xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Very good toy! An adult may become a child when she looks at her.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm a UK Lass in Nor Cal. Eating my Christmas Cake as I read your post!! Love your blog. P.S. those tooth bags are a labour of love :) I always seem to be mass producing crafts for my kids' classrooms too!

    ReplyDelete
  23. It made me smile as soon as I saw your matchbox - my grandad was a smoker and always had a box of Englands Glory matches in his pocket.

    I live in Gloucester and the old match factory where the were made still bears the crossed matches emblem on the outside of the building. And the pub down the road is called 'Englands Glory' too.

    Very cute the way it's been adapted for the wee mouse - I can understand why your little one loves it so much :o)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Ack, that mouse tucked into his matchbox bed would've been a childhood dream "toy" of mine!!! Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  25. my goodness you left me far back, face down in the dirt in the handmade christmas, post-christmas tooth bags, and baking categories. Whew, I hope you've had a chance to take a deep breath before you start to work on that garage! :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love the mouse bed/house!! Is there a "how to make this most darling toy ever" somewhere on your blog? I have a daughter that looked over my shoulder as I was looking at it and promptly began begging me for one of her own!! Thanks for always having such darling ideas on your blog!
    Renee
    daisy1282@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. This is amazingly cute. What a fun way to sleep and keep a toy. I collect matchboxes myself, but my little girl has been using blankets and pillow to put her animals to sleep. This is inspiring. Can you share a bit of wisdom as far as the construction of something like this? Thank you.

    ReplyDelete