Happy Christmas

I thought that I had better wish you and yours a Happy Christmas now, what with with it being the day before Christmas Eve and I have still yet to ice the Christmas cake and finish my son's present (and see the Christmas lights, finish tidying the house, do the laundry, etc. etc.).
.
The problem with sewing presents for the kids is that once school is out, all sewing must done after bedtime if I want to keep it a surprise, so it's been a few late nights this week. I have the feeling that once I've had a decent night's sleep, I'll look at the stitching in horror, but still... Anyway, I had a chance to snap a few pics in today's gloomy light while the kids were out. I've got a few more arrow loops and what have you to add, but you can get the general idea:
The back wall folds down (kind of like the fabric dollhouse), so that you can access the inside better.
As for my daughter, I made her a wee puppet theatre:
I got to play around with the power tools for this one, but it was still just a simple project. Her room has lots of red and white stuff, so the polka dot curtains were an easy choice.
Best of all, it doesn't take up too much room..
My feed reader chose this week to lose half of my feeds, so my blog reading has ground to a halt. I might just try google reader at this point, as I'm not too keen on the new interface being offered anyway. Who one earth picks the week before Christmas to mess around with my stuff, anyway??? Hopefully I'll find my old feeds in the New Year - plus all the ones it kept refusing to find throughout the years. Do drop me a comment if it's been a while since I stopped by your blog. I've lost so many blogs thanks to that bloomin' feed reader...
.
Time to go and finish the castle. I hope that you all enjoy your holiday. Ours will be fairly quiet by British standards, but we'll be seeing the in-laws and I'll do my best not to mope about and feel homesick. I miss my family and friends a lot at this time of year. Still, I will be subjecting my family to my version of the traditional Christmas dinner, even though it will be on Boxing Day. It's not as good as mum's but I refuse to go without it. I've got some Christmas crackers so they won't escape the paper hat wearing, even if we are on the other side of the world...
..
Translation of the day:
UK English: Boxing Day = public holiday on the day after Christmas (December 26th). So we have 2 days of family parties over there.

26 comments:

  1. These are the best! I made a puppet theatre for my daughter's birthday a couple of years ago, but I used a bookshelf and it ended up too heavy, and it tipped over all of the time.
    I love your construction.
    It seems much more sound.
    Happy Christmas to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, but what's your definition of why it's called boxing day?? We tend to tell american's it's the day you put all the presents you don't want back into their boxes and take them back to the shops (tee hee).
    On a more serious note...at least we have the boxing day test match (here in melb).
    Merry Xmas...I've loved reading your blog these last few months - look forward to lots more of your wonderful inspiring ideas in 2011.
    xxxCate

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your Christmas constructions. I'm sure they will be adored by the recipients. Enjoy Christmas in the US and know you have avoided the coldest Christmas in decades. It's blooming freezing here. Actually the days it gets up to freezing feel tropical!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have a lovely Christmas, and your children will love their presents - they're fab. My two asked for Bollywood outfits so I've been having fun sewing on sequin trim till the early hours.

    And really, if you're feeling homesick all you need to do is remember how rubbish the telly is here in the UK at Christmas (Only Fools and Horses AGAIN yesterday) and how sick everyone feels by the end of the day ... Plus it seems every other person has flu - it's even been on Woman's Hour this morning. Sorry, it's lack of sleep that makes me such a bundle of joy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, what lovely gifts. they can treasure. I am sure they will have hours of fun. Well the mince pies are in the box, holly hung on the door and presents wrapped and of course snow, snow everywhere.
    Enjoy your Christmas whatever you do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful gifts Dawn...Merry Christmas to you and yours. PS Having the same issue with bloglines so switched to reader...I'm a creature of habit so am not enjoying the changes either!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh what amazing gifts - you are so clever! I bet you will enjoy seeing their faces tomorrow morning. Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those are amazing - you put the rest of us to shame! Hope you have a fabulous Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your gifts are fantastic - what lucky kids!

    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Merry Christmas!

    Sweet presents for the kids! Most of my sewing is done at night so I can feel your pain! :)

    You've taken sewing to a whole new level with your constructions. Wonderful!

    I've been on Google reader for the last couple of months. No complaints, really.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What great pressies Dawn! Lucky kids! Hope you're having a lovely Christmas with your family. See you soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. The castle is seriously cool and that puppet theatre is SO cute. I am impressed. I only handmade one Christmas present this year.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh Dawn!
    At first I thought you'd made a cardboard castle and pylox-ed the thing with speckle spray. And then I realized it was fabric! Genius! Not that cardboard is any less superior, I mean. And I love the puppet theatre - we just have the one made out of a tension rod across the doorway - yours is much better.

    I hope your Christmas went well. We are just home from the inlaws ourselves. And yes, I miss home. We used to have that log cake thing in Singapore and nobody does that here. Why do they not eat cake here at Christmas? Have a lovely new year!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just wanted you to know my present TO Berlin made it through yesterday (Mon.) and my present FROM Berlin also arrived here yesterday, so there's hope.... There are still 4 in transit and unaccounted for going both ways, make that 5 if you count the one sent on November first that just plain disappeared. I try to imagine someone not freezing in the sweaters I sent and write it off in my mind at least as a donation to the Ice Age relief fund. I like your sense of humor and tidbits about your homeland! We have some British background, as many Americans do, of course...so we always had steamed pudding and mince pie at Christmas. --L

    ReplyDelete
  15. I LOVE the castle and theatre!! So cool! I hope I have enough in me to make cool things like that for my little man when he gets old enough! :) Happy Christmas to you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful presents, I bet your two were thrilled! Happy New Year!

    a-m x

    ReplyDelete
  17. these are lovely. They brought tears to my eyes because I used to make things like this when my children were younger....they grow up so fast......

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ack! Losing feeds in your reader would so not be fun :( I love google reader, I switched a long long time ago & it is great... Hope you have a happy new year! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love both gifts!!! I have a little theater planned for my daughter's birthday in may. Hoping since I have the idea now I can actually pull it off by then. (Also - I'm still reeling from the bloglines conversion too - grrrrrr)

    ReplyDelete
  20. So adorable, totally love them both!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love the puppet theater. Is there a tutorial for how to make it somewhere? Did I miss the link? My email is: motherparadox@gmail.com if you wouldn't mind sending me a link, if one exists. You are a craft goddess!

    ReplyDelete
  22. You are amazing! That castle, the adorable puppet theatre...you rock!

    Happy New Year:)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love that puppet theatre! My hubby would like to make one for our son. Is there a tutorial somewhere? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I know this post is from last year, but is there any chance of posting a tutorial or even just a layout of the pieces for the castle? I LOOOOOOOOOOVE it!!!!

    ReplyDelete