'Tis the season #3: Button garland tutorial

I hope that those who celebrate it had a happy Thanksgiving. We had a lovely meal at someone else's house, which made me extra thankful, as our dining room is currently decorated with random test patches of colour. We've since picked the colour that we want, just still haven't found the motivation to actually start painting yet...
I have been knitting, though. Now, some of my friends and family know that I have a blog, but I'm pretty sure that none of them actually follow it, so hopefully these posts won't be ruining any surprises. This one is for a lass who I always associate with this colour green, so I couldn't pass up this soft and cosy yarn. I used my pattern found here, casting on 300 stitches for this one (Ravely page here).
My kids had the week off school, so it seemed like the perfect time for our annual forced child labour event: Christmas decoration making. We've got enough homemade decorations to fill the tree now. I liked their button wreaths so much that I had them churn out a few more for me:
It turns out that I have rather a lot of buttons around here, as I had enough left over to make this wee garland:
Not a very Christmas-y staged photo, but the Scrooge of the house hadn't let me put up the Christmas decorations at that point...
.
If you're interested in making your own button garland, you'll need:
buttons
sequins (5mm or 8mm)
teeny rocaille (seed) 10/0 beads
fishing line or thread
26 gauge floral wire (optional) - I used the floral wire, so that I can shape the garland if needed.
.
1. Cut 3 strands of the floral wire slightly longer than the desired length for the garland, then braid them together loosely, tying off the ends.
.
2. Tie a length of the fishing line to the wire braid, then thread on each button / sequin combo tightly as follows: thread the fishing line through a space in the wire braid, then through a button hole, then through the sequin hole, then pass it through the bead and thread it back through the sequin, then thread it through the other button hole and down through the wire braid:
Hopefully this doodle is clear enough for you to work out what on earth I am talking about.
.
3. Repeat step 2 until your garland reaches the desired length.
.
The sequins really catch the light. nb. Those seed beads are very fiddly, so this probably isn't a project for young 'uns. I think that I'm going to be finding mislaid beads around the house for many months to come...
.
Translations of the Day:
UK English: parky = cool, cold, chilly in US English
UK English: nippy = cool, cold, chilly in US English
UK English: Baltic = cold, chilly in US English
.
I'm wearing my ski jacket indoors as Scrooge is also controlling the thermostat, so those are the first British words that came to mind...
.
As in, although it's pretty mild outside, it's a wee bit parky in here. It's rather nippy first thing and bloomin' Baltic by night....
(sorry about all the gloomy pictures - the weather has been rather murky this week).

13 comments:

  1. Pretty garland! I am such a scrooge with my buttons though - could I commit??!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the button garland! seems like you'd still be able to use your buttons for other projects later if you wanted to, no glue or other permanent attachment to it. Thank you for replying to my question about corn flour. I was looking for something 'cornflower blue' so I would have never found it :) I sure appreciate you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooh that looks gorgeous. I LOVE buttons x

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your button garland... and the little wreaths. I love button jewelry though - so I could perhaps be a tad biased :)
    Whom ever is getting that scarf is indeed blessed... it looks lovely and snuggly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are such adorable decorations, and we don't have kids yet, but I want to impart on our kids when we have them, that handmade is wonderful. I think I shall look through my button boxes and find some pretties for this project.

    Also, my hubby is from the UK as well, so reading your translations every time I read a post makes him chuckle...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh anything buttony always get my vote...I especially love those little wreaths - my get my lot to make some of them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love those button wreaths! Great project for little hands ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the button garland, I have added that one to my list.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Okay, I'm a bit jealous of your ability to doodle such a wonderful diagram! If I had your talent, diagraming for my patterns would be so much easier...

    Wonderful garland - you sure have a lot of buttons. I have too many too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't bear to part with my buttons either so this will be a difficult project for me to ever do ! Happy Advent !

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the button garland tutorial such as great idea. We put our Christmas decorations up early this year (at the beginning of November). The knitted scarves looks cozy, I'm sure your friends and family will love them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love it! and your "doodle" is quite good! :)

    ReplyDelete