'Tis the season #2: Chocolate biscuit gateau

A few of you asked me for this recipe, so here goes: This one was taught to me by a friend when we were teenagers and most of our culinary efforts leaned towards the dessert end of the spectrum. I heard mention that someone successfully sued a company for making them overweight, so I had better add the disclaimer that large quantities of this gateau will most likely add to your waistline...
.
Now, hopefully you're remembering that what the English call biscuits are called cookies by the Americans, or this recipe could take an unplanned turn...
.
You will need:
8oz / 225g plain chocolate
8oz / 225g butter
1oz / 25g caster sugar
2 beaten eggs
8oz / 225g digestive biscuits
.
For those of you saying, 'huh?', today's Translation of the Day:
UK English: Caster sugar = superfine sugar / baker's sugar in US English
UK English: Digestive biscuits, or sweetmeal biscuits are a semi-sweet biscuit. The internet suggests substituting graham crackers - I haven't tried that, but I imagine that would be ok in this recipe, even though they taste different. You can find digestives in the US at import stores like Cost Plus World Market and also at specialty British import stores, though.
Recipe:
Grease a 6" cake tin (with a detachable base).
Break up the digestive biscuits into small pieces and put to the side.
Break up the chocolate and put it in a bowl over a saucepan of simmering water to melt.
Melt the butter gently in another pan.
Beat the eggs with the caster sugar, then add the melted butter, pouring it in a steady stream while beating continuously.
Now blend in the melted chocolate.
Folded the biscuit pieces into the chocolate mixture.
Turn the chocolate mixture into the cake tin and chill over night in the fridge.
.
To serve, stand the cake tin on a smaller can and push the tin carefully down onto the table, leaving the base with the gateau on the can. Slide the gateau onto a serving plate.
.
Done.
.
Maya had a post about being brave, which made me feel a little guilty about hiding behind my sunglasses on my blog. So here's a slightly blurry picture from a few weeks back, when I was testing the camera's self-timer. Split ends, no make-up as usual and weird lighting making it look like my nose is uneven, but this is me...
I really should get my hair cut.
.
Take care.

26 comments:

  1. Ok, I should have said, this is a more flattering picture than normal...

    ReplyDelete
  2. don't forget to add...gorgeous smile, lovely hands for creating and a twinkle in your eyes! i agree with jen! you are a beauty! xx,thanks for sharing yourself

    ReplyDelete
  3. mmm. my mother in law makes this, she calls it tiffin. dont think her recipe has eggs in though.
    lovely photo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the recipe - I've been looking for a teacher's gift type recipe for the kids to make, so will give this one a whirl.
    Nice photo btw - I accepted the challenge of a friend to do the same thing recently and it took me two whole weeks to get up the courage (so well done!!) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, look at you - you're lovely!

    Which is just as well because otherwise I might not be able to forgive you for posting that recipe, relatives of which have been my downfall on more than one late night fridge raiding session.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good to see you! And stop saying you don't look good. You do, and it's a fact.

    ReplyDelete
  7. don't cut the hair !!! I am not courageous.....looooove the digestive biscuits and will do your recipe with the boys this week end !!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You look lovely. In fact, better than the chocolate biscuit gateau and that is saying something;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh those look delish and you my dear are a doll. Split ends? Don't see 'em! Now as for me ... I really ~do~ need a hair cut! Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yay, for the photo! Your hair looks lovely.

    Thanks for the receipe, I won't have a problem find digestive biscuits. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello you! Funny how nobody else sees us as we see ourselves, because you look great to me!

    I love that the recipe is called 'gateau' - so classy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely photo, what took you so long. If I looked like you I reckon I might have subjected readers (are there any?) to my blog to my own tired visage!

    No calories in that biscuit then?

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. finally with the recipe!! :)
    you're a natural beauty and way to be brave!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am not that courageous either but I think you look fabulous! And you don't even need make-up! Warm wishes from Tokyo!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my goodness first time here..not sure how I got here but I just saw digestive biscuits, and you got me thinking of home... I to am English woman living in New Hampshire .... so I just had to say Hi

    ReplyDelete
  16. You're gorgeous!!! Why are you hiding??
    Thanks for the recipe. It's sometimes called Tiffin cake too. The only place I can find digestives here in Israel is at IKEA. They might be available there in the US too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have a question for you, since your the only person from the UK I've every 'known', whatever that means right?
    K here goes, awhile back my girls and I started watching 'how clean is your house' every day or so on YouTube. Kim and Aggie talk about using 'cornflower' in the cleaning products. Do you have any idea what that is? I searched Google a couple times and nothing made sense. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh dear - that looks so good. We have to make some of that this week.

    Love the photo too.

    Florence x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hello - nice to see you! You look lovely - no need for dark glasses and hats lol!
    Cake looks lovely also, I do love that kind of thing. Do you know Nigella has a recipe for handmade digestives in her 'how to eat' book? Not sure how they compare to the 'real thing' tho!

    ReplyDelete
  20. It's good to finally see you. :) I'm still trying to figure out the mystery of you thinking you should hide. You look like a happy person with a pleasant smile to me. I love digestives. They are graham cracker-like, but much less crumbly and airy...and sugary. OK, yes, I know that means that they are totally different. :) I just picked up my annual tin of Quality Street chocolates. WOOHOO!

    ReplyDelete
  21. hi pretty you !
    i find it just fine...
    but now matter what hair style a pretty face remains a pretty face.

    ReplyDelete
  22. You look like Victoria Beckham. My daughter and I have some of the same features as you since we are very English, and the same jaunty look. My hair is very long and brown, but I don't plan to cut it because at my age it is becoming a conversation piece. Cheers! L

    ReplyDelete
  23. Mmmm, I've seen a similar recipe before. Now I'm totally wishing I hadn't already eaten the whole packet of digestives that I got for Christmas. It made me laugh that on the American nutrition label it said "Tasty wheat cookies" - my husband insists that "digestives" sound like something you eat when you're having 'bathroom issues'. :P

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi! Can you freeze this? Would love to make one ready for Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea - it does keep for a few days in the 'fridge, mind. It doesn't take very long to make; breaking up the biscuits is probably the part that takes the longest.

      Delete