'Tis the season #1: Granny in a Flap Hat tutorial

50 days left until Christmas! Time to concentrate on giving, methinks. In the upcoming weeks I plan on sharing some of the things that I'll be giving as gifts this year and I also want to share a few gifts with you, such as a couple of tutorials etc. I won't get all ambitious, as I do have 3 and a half rooms to paint in the upcoming weeks, so keep your expectations low...

First up, do you remember this hat?
I've been meaning to write up the pattern for it since, um, last April. I was noting down the pattern as I was teaching a friend how to crochet it. We worked on it while we were at the park with our kids each week. Then her lad inconsiderately knocked his head badly and was barred from the park for a couple of months. He's fine, but my pattern writing ground to a halt.
With winter rapidly approaching, I thought that it might be time to finish it. So I made another hat. Meanwhile the temperature soared to 100 degrees. In November. Can it really be a coincidence that every time I make this hat we have a heat wave?Sunglasses indoors = cover for the awful dark circles under my eyes. These hats do look less daft when worn with winter clothes...I am a slow crocheter and I can make one of these in an evening, so they are quick work.
To make a child size hat, use smaller hooks as follows: I instead of J, J instead of K, K instead of L). Ravelry link here.
.
YOU WILL NEED:
scraps of yarn: worsted or bulky
US size J 10 hook (6.00mm)
US size K 10.5 hook (6.50mm)

US size L 11 hook (8.00mm)
Yarn needle to weave in any loose ends
.
ABBREVIATIONS USED (nb. I'm using the American stitch terms):
ch = chain
sc = single crochet
dc = double crochet
cl = cluster

sp = space
yo = yarn over
rep = repeat

join = join with slip stitch
.
PATTERN STITCHES:
beg cl = first cluster stitch of a row: ch 2, then, keeping last loop of each dc on hook, 2 dc in sp, yo and draw through all loops on hook to make cluster
.
cl = keeping last loop of each dc on hook, 3dc in sp, yo and draw through all loops on hook to make cluster

,
THE PATTERN:
Using hook J
Ch 6, join to form ring (I use magic adjustable ring for this)
.
Round 1. In ring: beg cl, *ch 3, cl, rep from *5 times, ch 3, join in top beg cl [6 clusters]
.
Round 2. In ch 3 sp of previous round: beg cl, ch 3, cl, ch 3, *in next sp cl, ch 3, cl, ch 3, rep from * 5 times, join in top beg cl [12 clusters]
.
Round 3. In ch 3 sp: beg cl, ch 3, cl, ch 3, *in next sp cl, ch3; in next sp cl, ch 3; in next sp cl, ch 3, cl, ch 3, rep from * until end of round and join in top beg cl =16 clusters
.
Round 4. In ch 3 sp: ch 2, 2 dc, ch 1, *in next sp 3 dc, ch 1, rep from * 15 times
.
Change to K hook
Round 5. In ch 1 sp: ch 2, 2 dc, 1 ch, * 3 dc, 1 ch, rep from * 15 times
.
Rounds 6 - 8. rep round 5
.
Change to L hook
Rounds 9 - 14. rep round 5
.
EAR FLAP (worked back and forth in rows):
Row 1: ch 2, 2 dc in sp, ch 1, 3 dc in next sp, ch 1, 3 dc in next sp, turn
.
Row 2: ch 3, 3 dc in sp, ch 1, 3 dc in next sp, ch 1, 1 dc in last dc of previous row, turn
.
Row 3: ch 3, 3dc in middle sp, ch 1, 1 dc in last dc of previous row
.
2nd EAR FLAP:
Join yarn 5 sp along brim from 1st ear flap and make in same way as 1st ear flap
.
EDGING:
sc around edge of hat, including along the edges of the ear flaps. When reach tip of ear flaps: ch 2, 2 dc in sp, ch 1, 2 dc in next sp, ch 2 and rejoin edge, continue to sc around rest of hat
.
BRAIDS:
Cut 6 1 yard strips of yarn, thread them through the base of the ear flaps and braid together, securing the ends with a knot.
.
Repeat on other side. Done.
.
Let me know if I've made any mistakes. I haven't been getting enough sleep and it's been a while since I've followed a crochet pattern, so I'm a little rusty on the abbreviations.
.
No translation of the day today: it's past my bedtime...

41 comments:

  1. off to crochet right now!! so cute! my little one will be so excited, and then my son will ask for on as well, and then i'll have to make one for me... you get the idea... will post results as soon as there are any...

    ReplyDelete
  2. ak! i dont understand how to do the cluster!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here's a You Tube link for a cluster tutorial:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzW77bU6pm8

    ReplyDelete
  4. i think i did it!!! thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've done it now. I'm committed. My boys were hovering while I was reading ... 'oooohhh ... that could be for a boy too right mamma? You could make that for us couldn't you mamma. It could be blue right mamma?'

    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. awesome! My four year old daughter has been begging some something just like this. Thank You!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is great. I am very much into hat making mode right now AND I am always on the lookout for more granny stitchin' Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Crickey, you're all way too clever for me!! I like the hat though, but wouldn't even begin to know how to crochet (or knit for that matter) :-) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well you may as well have written that in Chinese for all it means to me but it doesn't stop me from admiring your work. Is there much call for hats in your neck of the woods then?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, if you ever move to Alaska you could pull out this pattern and bring on a heat wave whenever you wanted. I think I'm letting myself off the hook this year as far as handmade items. Might cook up a few batches of homemade granola and chocolate goodies, but that will be the extent of it I think.
    Of course now I'm thinking about the boy knocking his head and getting banned from the park, why do these children always interrupt things? So inconsiderate! :P

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love it! I haven't crocheted in about a year but this may make me break out the hooks.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So cute! I'm starting one now - I've been needing some crochet inspiration and this is it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. this is awesome! I scrolled right down to your translation thinking you'd say something about the american/british crocheting term ridiculousness--because seriously could they make it more confusing? I'm off to make the hat!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ooh I love it! Super, super cute! Thanks so much for this, I'll be linking.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the Hat!!! for the second ear flap do you strt in in the 5th space or do you skip 5 spaces & start it in the 6th???

    ReplyDelete
  16. Heather, you start the second ear flap in the 5th space. I hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I just found your blog and as an American living in England (Surrey to be exact) I love it:-) I also LOVE this hat and if it wasn't so late and I wasn't about to fall asleep, I would start it right now!

    Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I will quite possibly start this hat now... if my son doesn't wake from his nap before i find my hook

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love those hats, very cute! I have doubts about my crocheting abilities being up to the job though, it looks more complicated than anything I've done before.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is DARLING! I have 9 kids under the age of 16 that are in need of holiday gifts, I think my father-in-law would look a bit...............odd in one of these, so keeping it to the kids. the rest of the family is getting crocheted/knitted coffee cozies wrapped around a coffee cup from one of my favorite coffee shops in the area, filled with a pack of herbal tea, a pack of instant hazelnut coffee, a pack of hot cocoa, a candy cane, 2 chocolate chip cookies, and some marshmallows. Might even add in chocolate covered spoons with peppermint candy crushed up on the chocolate. In the next couple of weeks you can see my projects chronicled on my blog: in-skein.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love it and think I am just too tired to understand as this is my 3rd night at attempting this- Round 2 you say "Round 2. In ch 3 sp of previous round: beg cl, ch 3, cl, ch 3, *in next sp cl, ch 3, cl, ch 3, rep from * 5 times, join in top beg cl [12 clusters]"
    I joined ... then count over 3 "loops of yarn as i like to call them" beg cl, chain 3, cluster, chain 3... in next space I assumed the next 3 loops of yarn... but I dont get the 12 clusters- I went all the way to when I change my hook and then got so lost.. one I think I started out on row 2 wrong.. you say "Round 5. In ch 1 sp: ch 2, 2 dc, 1 ch, * 3 dc, 1 ch, rep from * 15 times".. here I chained 2 and went into 1st loop 2 dc chained 1 3 dc chained 1... umm yeah I know you dont mean all in the same loop lol help my tired brain please :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I absolutely love this pattern, and i adore you for posting it! <3 It's the first project i've ever completed using the Cluster/Granny stitches *ever*, so to see the finished product makes me giggle like a little girl XD I've made a total of three hats now, all for christmas presents! It was so wonderful finding a pattern like this that didn't cost an arm and a leg!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm confused like 'My Name is Mom' above, going from round 4 to round 5, do I jump over the ch2 and 2dc from the previous round, do I make slip stitches in them, what do I do to start row 5 right? Thanks! This hat is going to be awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  24. great job !!
    funny because i've just made one of these 2 evenings ago (in front of a movie !) no pattern home impro !!
    I'll print this out to make another one "granny style" like yours... next year ! (we're leaving soon for vacation abroad)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks for the free pattern !! I've already made several of these for Christmas presents, and family friends have seen them and asked for me to make some for their kids.Great quick and easy pattern !!

    ReplyDelete
  26. This is a fun hat to make. I made one with this pattern for my 96 year old Grandfather last year for Christmas. I treasure the picture I have of him in it now. He's since passed away.
    I came back to find the pattern again, so I can make one for my Dad. He's recovering from brain surgery..and the radiation has made him bald. I think he's look mighty cute in this hat. I can't wait to get started on it!

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  27. what size hook would you use for say a 4 year old or a 7 year old?

    ReplyDelete
  28. Kirarose, you don't have an e-mail linked to your profile, so I'll have to answer you here. I used I, J and K for a hat for my 4 year old. The hat still fits her now she's a 6 year old. I think that I crochet fairly tightly, though.

    ReplyDelete
  29. thank you so much! I dont know why my email isn't linking, heathertelford3@gmail.com also once you get to row 4 those are double crochets and not double crochet clusters you have marked as dc right? I also crochet a bit tight I think. Thanks for your help! your pattern is adorable and I am making one for charity right now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. WOW my kiddie is so excited about this hat! I just came upon your post in ravelry and followed it here. Thanks so much for sharing the directions as well as that UTube vid you posted above in the comments. I plan to whip one of these out today! I just hope I can figure it all out! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  31. I just want to say THANK YOU for sharing your pattern. It is not always easy to find free patterns. I appreciate your kindness!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. At round 4, you stop joining into the top of the cluster before starting the next row. How do I start the next row then? Am I just working in a continuous round? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  33. This hat will go perfect with my granny square scarf I make, perfect gift !!!! Thank you so much for sharing, it's beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I was wondering why you change hook size

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It makes it a little wider, without having to add in extra stitches.

      Delete
  35. Thank you! I've been searching for a hat to match the granny stripe scarf I accidentally (long story lol) made for my husband all morning and here it is! Can't wait to hook it up!

    ReplyDelete
  36. thank you. It's a great hat. I tried one of these before from a written pattern but couldn't get it but with your instructions I'm sure it will work..Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  37. thank you. It's a great hat. I tried one of these before from a written pattern but couldn't get it but with your instructions I'm sure it will work..Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  38. I have never done a granny stitch EVER and I have been crocheting steadily for 5 years now.....mostly hats which is my addiction so when I found your pattern for this hat I was literally jumping up and down because you made it look so easy and I think that I am going to get on this one tonight!

    For the hook sizes, You said I, J, and K....which hook size would you recommend for a toddler and an infant? Thank you again!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For an infant, you could try dropping a hook size - it did make quite a bit of difference wbetween the child and adult size hats. Otherwise, you might need to just drop a cluster / group of double crockets off each row, or maybe skip the bottom row of the hat. The good news is that even a slow crocheter like me can knock out one of these hats rather quickly, so if you do have to unravel and experiment, it won't take too long. Good luck!

      Delete