Nick?

This last week I've been putting together yearbook pages for my kids' football (soccer) teams, trying to sort out my soon-to-be-closed Bloglines account and taking Halloween costume requests. My niece even gave me a hand drawn design to follow for her costume...
.
I realised that I never got around to showing last year's costumes, though. That was the year that I shamelessly used my subtle powers of persuasion to steer my kids towards something that required very little work on my part.
So, a thief and a policewoman it was. For the thief we already had a stripey shirt, dark trousers and hat, so all that I needed to make was the mask. As for the policewoman, we already had the trousers, pretend police badge, toy handcuffs etc. and the shirt was one of her brother's old ones. All I did was sew a patch on the sleeves. Easy-peasy.
I used an iron-on transfer and some cheap cotton to make a swag bag and evidence bag for them to collect their treats in. I don't think that anyone noticed the bags, but it did make me feel slightly less lazy...
.
Translation of the day:
UK English: nick = to steal in US English
UK English: nick = to arrest in US English
UK English: nick = a prison or police station in US English
.
So, if you nick something you might be nicked and end up in the nick. Got that?
.
UK English: it's a fair cop = light-hearted way to admit that you were caught doing something wrong
UK English: old bill / bobbies / constables / the filth / peelers / the plod / rashers / rozzers = the police in US English.
.
nb. I should probably mention that some of these terms are less complimentary than others...
.
My son had to write a piece about Halloween for school this week and he mentioned my making a costume for him as if it was a given - that he had not even considered it being any other way. It's funny how each year I think that it will probably be the last year before they start asking for store-bought costumes like their friends have, yet each year they prove me wrong. When one of my son's friends showed up in one of those muscled Batman suits, I was sure that my son would look at the Batman suit that I made him with complete disdain, but he loved it. Still does, actually - I keep catching him squeezing into it every now and again...
.
Ok, I had better run: it's probably about time that I got started on this year's costumes...

13 comments:

  1. Love your photoshoot of their costumes! And the ginormous swag bags!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, I'll have to start thinking about costumes soon too! And we don't even really 'do' halloween in Australia, but the kids will embrace anything where gazillions of lollies are on offer! I'm a big fan of the sheet with two eye holes cut out :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome...wish I had such powers of persuasion on my three...oh the fun I could have (three blind mice for starters!!!!)

    love your blog and translations..
    Corina

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love all that nicking, I'd never thought about how confusing that might be to a non Brit. I too am mourning in anticipation of bloglines and have uploaded all my favourites to google reader. I'll still be using bloglines until the very end though...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for your son! I think we sometimes create the expectations. My kids plan weeks before their birthdays what cake I will make and what should be on their personalised cards! I wouldn't have it any other way!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, brilliant costumes!

    Mine keep asking about Halloween and I'm not sure how much longer I can get away with pretending not to understand!

    ReplyDelete
  7. They look fab, indeed there are lots of differing definitions for nick. My personal favourite slang for the police is the fuzz :) That's because I used to watch The Sweeney!!
    Twiggy x

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fun post!! The kids are adorable!!
    Love it here!
    Best,
    gabriele

    ReplyDelete
  9. Again.. loving the translations. Poor foreigners, how on earth do they EVER get the hang of our English.
    Can I add.. to nick = to cut, as in.. to nick one's self shaving.
    I had a nice long conversation with a girlfriend of mine from here the other day about the various meanings of the term tea.
    As in.. a Cup of tea.. High Tea.. Afternoon tea, 'come round for tea', which could mean anything from a cup of tea to beans on toast.. or of course 'come round for YOUR tea', which most likey means a full meal or dinner.
    Poor thing.. she ended up having a coffee.
    Kids look adorable and I love those swag bags..
    Jo xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I love when they try to squeeze into their costumes!!! So cute. My son wanted a store-bought costume one year (Indiana Jones) and I reluctantly got it for him. When he wore it to school and saw a gazillion other kids wearing the same costume, he wasn't happy. He refused to wear it out at night to trick-or-treat - he wore something else!

    I loooved your idea of the cop and robber, very clever and adorable! Ok, let's get started on this year's costume!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your blog. you are really inspiring the way you come up with different patterns.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the story lines. Coolness all around.

    ReplyDelete