The dogs

We were away from home for quite a bit of the summer, so I had decided that it was finally time to pull out a cross-stitch pattern that I had bought a few years ago and take it on the road. I did like curling up in a chair of an evening, stitching away - tuning out the kids running around with their American cousins, letting the calm wash over me. But... I think that I enjoy crafting more when I've put some creative thought into it. When you know that, as long as you can keep count, the result is going to look exactly like the picture on the packet, it just doesn't seem the same.
.
I think that I enjoy the anticipation of the moment when a project is done - the moment when you hold up your work and decide whether it turned out as you were hoping or not.
.
Still, I've always had a weakness for black and white and this pattern reminded me of my dogs:
They're getting on in years now. We had few nervous days waiting for biopsy results for one of them this summer - luckily the news was good, as the operation would have been expensive and I could tell that my heartless husband was considering the other option, as he started making comments about how the dog 'had led a good long life', even as I was looking at him with a 'how could you?' expression on my face...

8 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, I see the cross stitch pattern in your blog and I like it very much, I like dogs... Could you send the chart of dog to me? Thanks a lot! Email: hongtymuoi81@gmail.com. Best wishes for you. ^^

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you had good news about your furry friend. Pets do have a habit of putting us through an emotional mangle!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad your dog is doing better now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We lost both of our older dogs last summer and it is never easy. Glad the results were good for your pooch and that a decision did not have to be made.

    I enjoy doing counted cross stitching. I find it very relaxing and always love the completed project.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad your dog is ok.

    I love cross-stitching, I find it very relaxing and meditative, but there's a completely different thrill to creating yourself

    ReplyDelete
  7. Our cat did that to us a few months back. Several expensive tests later and there's apparently nothing wrong with him! Good to know that though. I've tried a bit of cross-stitch but it goes a bit too slowly for me so I get a bit fed up and then end up with too many UFO's!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope your dogs, both, have still years of happy life ahead.
    I would be mad at my husband if he came up with an insensitive option like this !
    We've lost several cats this past years and it has been very very hurtful for all the family, me first in the line.
    I used to x-stitch before I got into sewing & yarn crafts, I don't do it anymore... maybe too many things on the list now !
    Is it a b& w canvas ? you could show us the progresses on the blog, it would keep you motivated all the way !

    ReplyDelete