Day 4 & 5: I should probably be doing the housework...

Please excuse the creases on this one. I finished sewing the sleeves at the park, while the offspring played with their friends, then only had 10 minutes before football (soccer) practice to iron it, find my son's football shorts and take a picture while there was still light. The ironing didn't happen, but I did get some pictures and my son didn't go to his practice half naked...
This is another pattern that I came up with. Just a plain top with wee gathered sleeves and buttons up the back. I stayed away from my machine's evil fabric-eating button-holer function and did sewn button loops instead.
I had pictured it with jeans, but it was hot hot hot today, so shorts it was. How is it that I was cold in jeans and a cardi at yesterday's 2 football practices, but was toasty in shorts and a t-shirt at tonight's? This weather is nutty.
Anyway, it all went together fairly easily. I did burn myself on the iron at one point, but that seems to happen rather regularly lately. I came up with a solution for those times when you're short on time and don't want stand with a burn under cold water for ages, though (disclaimer: I have little to no medical knowledge and you should probably ignore any medical advice from me): I sellotaped a frozen broccoli stalk onto my burnt thumb. That way I could continue to sew while treating it, even if I looked a little daft. I think it worked: no blister!
.
Translation of the day
UK English: sellotape = transparent adhesive tape = scotch tape in US English.
.
Scotch and Sellotape are both brand names that have been adopted as the generic name to cover pretty much all clear sticky tapes. Although I seem to remember Blue Peter would valiantly avoid using any such brand names...

24 comments:

  1. beautiful top - well worth the injuries sustained. How do you do your button loops? elastic - tiny bits of fabric? I generally have lots of trouble getting the fabric ones to be the right size, and would love any hints,
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cecilia, sorry, I don't have an e-mail address for you, so I'll have to answer here. This is how I make my button loops:

    http://ysolda.com/support/pictorial-guides/sewn-button-loops/

    ReplyDelete
  3. The broccoli - genius! And just mad enough to make me laugh.

    The top is lovely - I am terrible at sleeves and am in awe of your beautifully gathered and matching pair!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The top is really beautiful and I love thse buttons in the back.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks - that's always been a mystery to me, and thought there would have to be a better way but couldn't find it. My attempts made fighting the buttonholer on my machine an easier thing to do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow, that is the sweetest little top! And the button loops are a beautiful feature.
    The frozen broccoli stalk is genius!
    Danielle x

    ReplyDelete
  7. love that top and the back f it !! Where did you find that pattern ???

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks everyone.

    Tiphaine, I made the pattern myself.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a sweet top! Especially love the buttoned back!

    Still laughing at the broccoli- ingenious, and oh so funny!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Brilliant! I mean the sewing is looking pretty good, but sellotaping frozen broccoli, well that's just genius.

    Sticky back plastic
    Get a grown up to help you
    Here's one I made earlier.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so inspired by the clothes you have made this week! I struggle picking prints for clothes for my girls, but never thought of great solids!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely top and the buttons/holes are gorgeous. Great use of broccoli - so much easier than sitting with your hand in a bag of peas!

    ReplyDelete
  13. great job--and you made up the pattern yourself, you say? Outstanding! Love-love-love the button up back, and wrinkles are part of the charm/delight of a newly sewn item, don't you think? I think you are a KCWC star.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Can't believe how much sewing you've been able to pack into this week. Love this top, it's simplicity and those lovely loops.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dawn your vacation photos are awesome! Gorgeous scenery and photographs. Also I'm thinking I need the recipe for that chocolate biscuit gateau *please, please, please!!*
    And seriously, you just make up your own clothing patterns and whip them out? How? How did you learn your sewing skills? I think you need to do a post on that - did you take classes? a beloved grandmother sat down with you? you picked up the skills on your own? you are just a genius that way?
    You might almost be as nutty as me with the broccoli/cello solution...

    ReplyDelete
  16. why do housework when you are creating beauties like this! and your own pattern...you are sososo good. i'm enamoured with those buttons loops too. such a lovely piece!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm sure I read somewhere that down under [in Australia] the brand name for Sellotape is Durex..
    Now that's a conversation in a chemist I'd like to be a fly on the wall for.
    Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi..
    After I posted it occurred to me that it might have been that Sellotape was a brand of condoms.. but now you say you've heard it too.. I think we're right..
    I love your translations for the masses..
    I'm a Brit in Canada [ British Columbia] so I experience it too.. although not as much as you I suspect since there are so many Brits here many of the words we take for granted are at least familiar here.
    I do remember when my hubby and I first got together we had a heated 45 minute discussion about 'pudding'.. still makes me chuckle when I think about it..
    Jo xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am in the boat you are, I make things to keep me from going crazy.
    I just wish I had a little girl to sew for. Your things are fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the top - looks great. Ouch to the finger - sounds like your treatment worked.

    ReplyDelete
  21. That is a really cute top. I love the button detail on the back too, very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  22. These tops are so amazing! I love the style you put into something that has no logo. You are so talented!! Check out my latest sewing project here: http://melissasprojects.blogspot.com/2010/10/floor-cushion.html

    ReplyDelete
  23. I just found your blog and I am in love with this top. You seriously made this without a pattern? I'm always so envious of those who can whip up things with using a pattern. You wouldn't to be making up a pattern for it would you? ;)
    BTW, little known fact about me...I have always wanted an english accent, I think they are so awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I think I commented on this last year on flickr. It is one of my most favorite projects from KCWC. the detail is stunning! I wanted to let you know that I included this on my link love today!

    ReplyDelete