Kids' Clothes Week continued

I managed to get more things finished during Kids' Clothes Week than I thought I would, which is certainly not the norm around here (despite being a mum for over 7 years, I still catch myself feeling surprised that having 2 children around the place can often turn a 5 minute task into a 2 hour long one).
This dress is made from a pattern in this book (ISBN: 978-4-529-04526-1). The local police helped me find the sewing time for this one, as we had a reverse 911 call letting us know that there was a felony suspect on the run in our area and that we should stay indoors with the windows and doors locked. With the way that my windows were rattling and shaking every time that the helicopters circled, I'm not sure that locking them was much of a hindrance, but still...
I think that I'd have done a better job at lining up the tartan (plaid) if my hands hadn't been shaking and if I hadn't been jumping up every 5 minutes to listen to the breaking news update / peek out the windows with a baseball bat in hand. To be honest, I gave up caring about alignment after a couple of attempts at pinning. Looking back, I should have just cut the bottom part on the diagonal.
.
The sewing was a welcome distraction that day. Apparently some of the SWAT action was only 8 doors up from my house. Whew.
This one was a quick and easy sew. I used a similar method to the smocked top and dress that I've made in the past, but did a gathered panel on the front instead of the smocking.
It should do well for the hot summer days that we get around here.
This one was another quick and easy sew, using the pattern that I put together a while back. Do you remember my mentioning last year that I had a peasant top cut out and ready to sew? I'm ashamed to say that this is that top. In my defense, I had lost an arm panel, so had to spend, oh, all of 5 minutes, looking through a scraps bin for more of the same fabric...
.
You might also remember that there seems to be an earthquake every time that I make one of these tops. I thought that I had got away with it this time, but then the news let me know that there had been a 3.9-magnitude earthquake a little further up the coast, that I hadn't felt. Hmm. 3 tops, 3 earthquakes...
.
Today is the last day of the challenge, but I'm not sure that I'll get to squeeze in any sewing time today. It looks like I have a fun day ahead of me: standing over my kids while they clean their rooms. That's another 5 minute task that they like to turn into a 2 hour long one...

19 comments:

  1. Lovely items - I'd like one of the dresses for myself!
    Miss Muffett's bedroom usually looks like an earthquake has hit it and it usually involves me spending several hours 'helping' her to sort it out - one of these days I'll freak over it and the whole lot will go in the dustbin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, earthquakes and swat teams. Not what you generally associate with days at home sewing but if that's what it takes.... :o)
    Those are gorgeous dresses and tops. I really like the middle one with the gathered panel. Did you make it up or follow a pattern for it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love every garment you've made - especially the striped top. super cute.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, I've just getting in your blog, you make very cute and fashionable clothes. I really like them. Boroka

    ReplyDelete
  5. After all that excitement, I'm going to have to lie down!

    I completely forgot about kids' clothes week. Doh.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What gorgeous items you made even if it took a swat team and an earthquake to get you to do them! I just envy anyone with sewing ability...

    ReplyDelete
  7. love them all! I used to make clothes for my kids....now, they want to 'go to the mall.' Of course, they still like me to make pjs so that is some consolation!

    ReplyDelete
  8. SWAT teams, helicopters, earthquakes - you really are a cool cucumber to churn out such fabulous clothes in the middle of all of that excitement!
    I really do envy your sewing skills!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are all great. I so need to learn how to sew. My mother-in-law is moving/ getting rid of stuff and has a portable sewing machine for us....I'll have a reason to learn!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My giddy aunt, I never knew sewing could be so dangerous! I'm steering well clear from now on!
    x x x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Felon on the loose and earthquakes in the area . . . you live one eventful life! Great tops!

    ReplyDelete
  12. great, all of it! the sewing, rather, not the felon.

    i just posted pics of my kids' messy rooms today. unfortunately around here it is a 2 hour job that all of us wish was a 5 minute one!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Really, I just love the poses against the wall...so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  14. looks very great!

    Do you want to win a great silk shawl very easily?

    ReplyDelete
  15. That middle top is my favorite. Again, the fabric you chose for it is beautiful and perfect for the piece you made.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, SWAT team a few doors away?! Some people have all the luck. At least you stayed productive, and at least it wasn't outside your window.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That dress is adorable! The tops are as well. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have that book and have wanted to make that same dress many times. I think you have inspired me.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks a bunch for sharing this with all people you actually recognize what you are talking about! Bookmarked. Kindly also discuss with my website.
    SWAT Halloween costume

    ReplyDelete