Exhibit 2

If we could just have a moment of silence for my old computer, please. After a brief recovery, it finally popped its clogs. Rather suspiciously, it shuffled off this mortal coil right around the time that my husband discovered that it couldn't run a new game of his. The investigation is ongoing.
.
So, the last few weeks have been spent without Internet access. That had some advantages, such as finally getting around to painting my daughter's room. It turns out that my husband gets a tad restless without a computer game to play at all hours, though. I did miss the Internet. I like being able to instantly look up the answers to the weird questions that my kids ask (the moon weighs about 73,600,000,000,000,000,000,000 kg...) and whenever I can not access my e-mail, I become convinced that something terrible might have happened back in the UK.
.
We've had a spot of rain, so the weather has cooled a little, but the previous post's 'exhibit 1' suggested that there might have been more than one reason for the recent hot weather and there was. I give you exhibit 2:
A hot water bottle cover.
The hot water bottle is my mum's old one. I've since found them online, but never in any of the local shops. I guess there isn't much need for them around here, but it comes in handy for easing my husband's back pain without my frozen veg getting involved. The day before we left the UK, (the point when I finally remembered that I had intended to buy one) my sister-in-law told me that Tescos were selling some that came with a cover that looked like a wee jumper (sweater). I didn't get to see one, but this cover that I made is how I imagined them to look.
.
I knitted it in the round from the neck down, making up the pattern as I went along (meaning that I knitted the neck, knitted the 'shoulders', unravelled that and tried knitting the shoulders a different way, then unravelled that and knitted the shoulders the same way that I did them the first time, then I knitted some cables, then unravelled them and knitted a few extra cables... Still, at least there were no seams to sew). The back is in garter stitch to give a little extra insulation.Much better than the old stained tea towel that we were using.
.
Translation of the day:
UK English: pop your clogs = to die in US English
.
PS. I never did get caught up on answering e-mails and I think that my account deleted a few before I got to check them, so if you had a question and want a more prompt response, or if you don't get a reply in the next few weeks, please resend it.

16 comments:

  1. I often just pop the bottle right into bed un-clothed. But a little sweater with buttons? I might could get used to a water bottle cover if it looked like that. Especially if it had a wee little turtle-neck.

    P.S. I hummed Taps for your computer. May it rest in peace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a yearning to knit a cashmere hot water bottle cover. What could be more luxurious? (Well, obviously lots of things, but let me have my delusions, OK?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it amazing how much we can accomplish when we don't have a computer to occupy our hours?

    I love the hot water bottle cover. I remember using them in our beds when we lived in England.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love a hot water bottle to snuggle up with - much better than the husband as he takes up too much room!

    Hope you got everything off your puter before it karked it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh how delightful! I've considered sewing myself a hot water bottle cover with minky fabric. This however, is the icing on the cake! Cream of the crop!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice hot water bottle cover. I'm lost without my laptop, I am an internet addict - argh !!
    Twiggy x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I bought one in Germany that has a penguin covering it. I think is Tescos too. My daughter loves it on cold nights. You really don't see them in these parts much so I am glad I bought it when I saw it. Yours is very cute.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i love that! i also wish i had a hot water bottle. I have been on the hunt for a while with no luck!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the hot water bottle jumper! Nice cables.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a cute sweater for your hot water bottle. I'm not sure that I've seen any in a while, and I live in a colder climate than you. I'm glad you have a new computer running again. Looking forward to hearing more from you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've got a hot water bottle somewhere that would kill for a cute sweater like this (I'll have to add that to my list of things to knit up). Who knew a HWB could looks so gorgeous?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I never had a hot water bottle and just recently considered getting one. I am more of a heating pad person. But now I want to get one even more just so I can make it a sweater. Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is soooooooo cute!!! I love the buttons -makes it look like a pair of long-johns. (old fashioned undergarment, if you don't recognize "long-johns") We have 3 hot waters bottles in the house, 1 for each bed.... you can easily find them in any pharmacy/drug store/Target, etc. Just have to look in the First Aid isle. Great color too -I just love it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete