off on the wrong foot

I wouldn't describe my parents as being superstitious, but I was brought up observing a few traditions, such as all Christmas decorations should be taken down by the twelfth day of Christmas (6th Jan) to avoid bad luck for the next year. Another such tradition was First Footing. We were over in England for Christmas, so I made sure that we were prepared for our return before we left: putting the lump of coal and salt in the glove box of the car.
.
The only problem with that plan was that, after a flat tyre on the way to the airport, long security lines, a delayed flight (the aftermath of the underwear bomber), spending 12 hours on an aeroplane, no sleep, a 4am (GMT) arrival, retrieving bags, driving home etc. I forgot the First Footing. Maybe my tall, dark husband was the first over the threshold in the New Year, maybe he was carrying one of the bags that had food in and had a coin in his pocket. It was probably short little me, though. And the lump of coal was definitely still in the glove box the next day.
.
Still, I'm sure that 2 tellies dying on us, my oven having a funny turn and our computer's indecision about whether it wants to continue working is completely unrelated. I have been scared to touch my sewing machine, mind, given my current luck with electrical appliances...
.
Hopefully posting about Christmas presents in February isn't unlucky, as I don't have much else to show you. It's not déjà vu - I just seem to have a tendency to stick to the tried and tested at Christmas time...
.
This was for one of my son's teachers, who is expecting a baby boy (it's a little nerve wracking when your source of information is a 6 year old, but luckily he did get all the details correct...). I think that this is my favourite boy baby blanket that I have made so far.
The other teachers got the usual clutch (from Bend the Rules Sewing by Amy Karol) with English chocolates inside.
Another pair of Last-minute Knit Mitts in knit 1 purl 1 rib were churned out for a stocking stuffer. Last, but not least, here's another Emmeline apron. I think that I've got my money's worth out of this pattern. This one was for my Nan. Side 1:
Side 2:Here's the fabrics:
Translation of the day (easy ones today):
UK English: aeroplane = airplane in US English
UK English: telly (pl. tellies) = TV / television in US English
UK English: tyre = tire in US English
.
American immigration has started taking pictures of arriving Legal Aliens, which seems a little mean at 4am after a long flight. I'm hoping that that photo gets destroyed...

20 comments:

  1. very cute projects! i always wondered why some people spell aeroplane, thank you! isn't grey vs gray a us vs uk english thing too

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't blame you for not wanting to touch the sewing machine. As someone famous once said, "if it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all."

    I love the cute apron as well as the other gifts. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. do you have an etsy shop? I love those gloves and the aprons!

    ReplyDelete
  4. these are all so lovely I can't see how talking about them could be bad luck! Well done, you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the fabrics in the apron!

    My mom is Fijian and is full of traditions that still throws my poor husband off. Although the best and most fun is the baby powder dousing of anyone still awake on New Years. Everyone is covered in white, but we all smell good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The yarn that you used for the blanket looks SO snuggly. Where did you buy the pattern for the apron? It is cute.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your Emmeline! I bought the pattern almost a year ago (maybe even longer) and I have yet to try it. Something about it intimidates me.

    http://debajounboton.typepad.com/blog/

    ReplyDelete
  8. You made some lovely things! The apron is one of my favorites and I keep thinking I need to get that pattern. And the little bag from Amy's book is sweet. And when you mentioned the chocolate, it made me think of how we had our first tin of Quality Street this year and loved every blessed piece of it. I wish it was around all year long, but then again, it wouldn't be something to look forward to if they were that easy to come by.

    Sorry to hear about your appliance problems. And the picture thing at the airport does seem a bit mean. I hope things calm down for you soon. Hopefully this next confession won't turn your socks inside-out: My Christmas tree is still up because we have been sick so much. Bad luck should rock my world. Maybe that is why we keep getting sick? :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, what great presents and great photos of snowly England in your last post. The apron is my favourite too. I like the fabrics you have used. Lucky friends and family.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My mother, who is of Scottish roots, definitely also does some strange spitting thing to do with the New Year....! Or did I just make that up? I can't remember. I do remember all that coal and door opening and then running to open another door and then who knows what else. She used to look like a dementoid who'd escaped from Bedlam.
    x x x
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  11. love it all.. esp the blanket!

    and any picture at 4 am is just wrong. i'm thinking that should fall under "cruel and unusual"

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love that clutch - I've never seen it before! Now I need to get my hands on that book. Looks easy, is it?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the woodie pic - we have those in our garden too! Your clutch bag is a great idea. Pop over to our shop and enter our giveaway!
    http://sisterscraftycreations.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. wonderful projects! I have the same apron pattern....must make one for myself!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Left you a little love on my blog today!

    ReplyDelete
  16. lovely things you have made! I just wondered that you haven't been photographed before at Immigration...we have been living here in the US for over 5 years now, and there exists a gallery of ugly photographs of us on every arrival into the US! We are Australian...maybe there was a different protocol. I think it must be one of the ugliest photo collections in existence- esp since we are usually on the flight for 13 hours with twin toddlers.
    corina

    ReplyDelete
  17. I adore adore the blanket. Really wonderful. If you give gifts like that to teachers, I can imagine the treasures you make for friends and family. You are really sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  18. That is just the cutest apron I've ever seen...I LOVE IT!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love your apron and the clutches. I love clutches as gifts!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love those aprons! I wish I could get into the habit of wearing one, because those are the cutest!

    ReplyDelete