We have a winner

I didn't disappear off to England this time. Instead it was my computer that went on a trip - to the see the nice bloke who knows all about computers who works with my husband.
.
I wish my husband had given me some warning about this trip, mind, so that I could have made sure that we had a copy of everything on the PC. My 'My Pictures' folder was a casualty, so I'm missing all the pictures that I have been sent by others. Yet my husband's gaming stuff suspiciously survived. Hmpf... Still, the computer returned acting more like its former self. Now I've just got to find a bunch of software cds for reloading things and hope that I still have all of my camera's memory cards (I should rephrase that: My husband had better hope that I still have all of my camera's memory cards...).
.
So, I've extended the closing date of the giveaway to this morning, as I wasn't around to announce a winner. Drum roll, please...
The winner is Liz:
Liz, I'll be sending you an e-mail to find out your address.
.
Thank you so much for entering, everyone. It looks like I've got a nice long list of new blogs to explore. Now, if anyone is still reading, I'll bore you with my pictures from my trip home:
Most of our time was spent with family and friends, but we did get out and about a little bit. Unfortunately it waited for us to leave before it snowed properly, so we didn't get to go sledging on our local hill, though. Tch, I miss home...
.
Now, I'm not sure if this counts as a translation of the day, but I had an American friend ask what this 'sledging' thing is - it's sledding. Everyone I knew growing up referred to hurtling down a snow-covered hill on a wooden sledge made by your dad as sledging, but I don't think that it is just a British term. Then again, it might just be that my friend still has trouble understanding my mumbling English accent...

21 comments:

  1. These pictures are so beautiful it takes my breath away. Seriously. There is nothing prettier than the English countryside covered with Snow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful pictures Dawn. I'm wondering where they are - somewhere in the the Cotswolds perhaps? I get my sledding and sledging mixed up too, in Canada tobogganing seems to be the word of choice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely photos! All my friends in Surrey emailed me with photos of our old stomping grounds all covered with snow. Just beautiful.
    I know they were all sledging down their hills. :o)
    I am pretty sure that sledging is a chiefly British term as it is not something I have EVER heard an American say about hurtling oneself down a hill on any piece of equipment. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Or togogganing as we used to say, which is a right mouthful!
    Gorgeous pictures - could you get more chocolate box English?! Where is that - looks like Lacock in Wiltshire.
    I had to drag Hetty up to Isla's school in a sledge for about a week. There was no way I could use the pushchair. Great for her, hard on me!
    x x x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely photos and they look very like where I live. Not wanting to sound like a stalker but I live in. Would it be Gloucestershire by any chance... Bibury?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful photos. The snow started to really fall as soon as we got off the plane in Yorkshire but it was great. Really beautiful. I was also discussing sledging vs sledding recently and I do think it's an english thing. I described it as sledging on a sled. So I guess even the english get it jumbled too.
    But then I was born in South Africa, that's my excuse. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow - what a great trip! And I won! Thank you so much - I can't wait to check out that book.

    ReplyDelete
  8. hey, i'm from the uk too -- scotland -- but my mum and all but one sister live in england . . . so we visit a lot. love your photos, and can't wait to get to know your blog! lynn-anne

    ReplyDelete
  9. nice pictures..

    finally you are back, have been visiting here quite often for new updates..finally you are back...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi there, just popped by to say; Hi. Stumbled across your lovely blog and recognized your trip home instantly as I used to live in Montpellier in Cheltenham and worked in the Cotwolds (Broadway/Winchcombe etc) in my life before small people!!!
    I'm so envious of you living out in the US as I lived there also so I'm looking forward to following your blog.
    Take care
    Jane.

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh, every darn time i see pictures of england i just want to cry with wanting to go. i don't know how you ever left it. those mossy roofs! SIGH

    bummed i didn't win your giveaway, but so glad i got to see these pics.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful pictures! That snow looks amazing! I'm dreaming of going somewhere that has a white Christmas this year!

    ReplyDelete
  13. these pictures are so beautiful! i would love to go someday. it reminds me of the movie the holiday! i hope you had a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  14. hello, i love your blog - was directed here when you posted the dollhouse, and i really want to track down the book!
    i have left you a blog award on my blog, hope this is ok :)
    http://dinoprincesschar.blogspot.com/2010/02/it-could-have-been-forever-now-well.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. is that Cheltenham Town Hall????

    were you here? spooky.

    Small World.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gorgeous, gorgeous pictures. Love those old stone buildings nestled in the snow. So lovely! Hope you had a wonderful time visiting home!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Tell me that wasn't Bath or Scotland. Otherwise I'm going to cry right into my cuppa. I'm a Brit living in Melbourne - we have similar weather to you in the northern winter. Hot, hot and more hot. Ack! I saw these photo's and just SO wanted to go home, especially as they had proper snow for the first time in years. And I lived in Scotland before we came over here. Beautiful, beautiful piccies and now I'm homesick all over again goddammit.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely pictures. I'm not from
    England (I did visit once) but every time I see pictures like yours I feel like I'm seeing something that I miss very much. I can't explain it and I'm not sure that makes much sense, but there it is. You have a wonderful blog. I'll be back.

    ReplyDelete