Ragged

My husband's grandmother died the Saturday after Thanksgiving. She got to spend a last Thanksgiving with her family and died in the presence of those who love her. She was 90 and her health had deteriorated to the point that she had hospice care, so it was probably for the best. Still, she's going to be missed. She was a really lovely lady, with a great sense of humour (I think that she'd have been laughing away at the stories told at her funeral). She kept her wit to the end and blatantly spoiled her great-grandchildren. I hope that they treasure their memories of her. She'll be missed.
.
So, things are still a little behind around here. I've decided to have my giveaway on my 99th post, as the 100th is just taking too darn long to get here, so keep an eye out for my next post. My poor neglected blog, blog reader and inbox. Christmas is really starting to sneak up on me, but I've made a large dent in the Christmas gift list today. At last count, I have got 2 presents to buy and 6 left to make by the 18th. That's doable, right? If I whip up some straitjackets for my kids first, that is... Oh, that reminds me: I need to take a picture of my kids and sort out some Christmas cards.
.
Can you keep a secret? This is one of the Christmas gifts that I have knocked out. After a year or so of procrastination, missing both a Christmas and a birthday, I finally made my daughter a rag doll.
The pattern is the Amy doll by Joan Russell, given to me, um, a long, long time ago by the ever so sweet Mr Monkeysuit after I told her how much I adored her version (later given a new 'do). I did shorten the neck (I had previously ended up with a slightly upturned face, that suggested the far too innocent expression of wonder for a doll that was supposed to look a little like my daughter).
.
It took me ages to find yarn that was similar in colour to my daughter's hair. That wasn't helped by my not being sure what colour hair my daughter actually does have, as it can look light brown, blondish and ginger all on the same day, depending on the light (I tossed a coin to decide what to write in the hair colour box on her passport application form...). Unfortunately the only thing similar was these patches in a variegated yarn - I just managed to squeeze out long enough strips to copy her short hair (the result of her repeatedly giving herself the odd haircut - you see now why an innocent expression would not have been suitable?). And then I nicked the idea of using a Waldorf doll face from Mr Monkeysuit, as it looked a lot easier than trying to embroider on an expression. Ok, a hint of a smile did sneak on.
I had plans for multiple outfits, but had forgotten that sewing teeny, tiny sleeves etc. would be bloomin' fiddly and time-consuming. They'll have to wait.
.
Translation of the day:
UK English: nick = to steal in US English.
.
Take care,

32 comments:

  1. what a sweet doll. I'm sure she is going to be delighted.

    Oh and the present thing completely doable, especially if posting to the UK, you can just blame their lack of appearance or delay on Royal Mail, we sort of expect it now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry to hear about Grandma's passing. Wise old grandma's are much loved and yet when their bodies are tired they seem to go peacefully at their chosen time.

    What a gorgeous doll and I love the fact that she's modelled on your daughter. You've captured the face beautifully. Another pattern to tag for when I master my sewing a little better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. so sorry to hear about your loss. That doll is so precious! I think her face is just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to hear of your sad loss. Your doll is so perfect and I her love her "waldorf" face.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry about your grandmother.

    Your doll is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so sorry to hear of the loss of your husband's grandmother. With a great sense of humor, she must have been a delight to be around. I am so glad that she was able to spend Thanksgiving surrounded by her family's love.

    The little doll is so sweet. I love her facial expression. Clothes can come later and will be extra special when they do.

    Yes, all is doable if you don't sleep!

    I enjoyed your translation at the bottom. I so remember living in England and being so confused on words - cot, jumper, push chair, etc. I kept a journal at that time and would write all those words down in it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sad to hear about your family's loss. She sounds like she was a hoot to be around.
    The doll is completely adorable. I really love the simple face and the side part in the hair.
    And if you get the time to whip those straight jackets up, would you mind sending me the pattern? :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm sorry for your loss - she sounds like a wonderful woman!

    Your doll is adorable. Faces are the hardest things I think - for a long time all the dolls I made had no features but that just made them a bit scary I think. Yours is just a little bit cheeky - perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an adorable doll, she looks so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  10. she looks verY very nice and sofT....o

    ReplyDelete
  11. I LOVE the doll!!! Our second child is due to arrive in May, and I want to make a doll like that for my little girl!! Any ideas on finding the pattern or useful tips you picked up while making this one for your daughter?

    ReplyDelete
  12. So sorry to hear about your husband's grandmother.

    The doll is a real sweetie! I'm sure your daughter will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sorry to hear of your family's loss. Sounds like she was well loved and will be well remembered.

    Love the doll..she is very sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm so sorry for your family's loss. How wonderful that your children had the chance to know her.

    I love the doll. I have been trying to find a simple doll pattern for my daughter. This is now the second Christmas + a birthday that I haven't done it too. I believe my daughter is younger than yours though, so I have some time.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful doll! I'm currently playing with the idea of making something similar for my niece but still have Christmas decorations, dogs and monsters to finish before I can even start to really think about it. Strange how new interests suddenly turn into obsessive many numbered projects.

    ReplyDelete
  16. hi
    i remember the amy doll from a much earlier post - i still love her and still can't track down the pattern!!but thanks for your help at the time - i'll keep on looking!!
    gill xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sorry to hear about your loss.

    That is a cute doll. I ve been planning to make my daughter one even before she was born. I might make one like this.

    ReplyDelete
  18. So sorry to hear about your husband's grandmother. Sound like she was quite special.

    Your doll is amazing and might get me to finally make my girl her doll... I've had the pattern and materials for YEARS! Not sure what's keeping me from doing it. Now I'm thinking of using this pattern, though. I really love it.So inspiration has led to indecision once again. How does that happen? xo

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ooh lovely doll! I want it.
    She does look quietly mischievous...!!

    x x x
    Catherine
    ps you are a better woman than I if you succeed on your present making mission. Go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love the time and care you put into this doll. The fact that you cut variegated yarn to get the right color shows how loving you are. She is adore this doll!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I've just finished an Amy doll as well for my daughter for Christmas. I gave her hair that is similar, but with bangs. Just wanted to share an easy dress/coat pattern for a doll her size with you. I thought it was great when I found it! http://mollychicken.blogs.com/my_weblog/2006/11/blah_blah.html

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh, it's lovely to hear happy memories in a time of loss, wishing you and your family the very best! Your rag doll is just adorable, such a sweet face!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Just popping by to wish you a very Happy Christmas. So sorry to hear about your recent loss. We lost my elderly aunt in much the same way and we all have such fabulous memories of her as she was quite a one. Your rag doll is just gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hugs on the resent passing of a dear grandmother and great grandmother.

    Hope that you managed to get some christmas crafting finished - I wrote it off this year and bought - will start on gifts early this year:)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm so sorry to hear of your loss and I am sure you treasure your memories of her dearly.

    And of course, the dolly is simply adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi just dropped by your blog from another one and wow you have been busy. What wonderful ideas, you have totally inspired me. I live in the UK and love blogging to find and share new ideas.
    A Happy New Year to you and I will be following your blog from now on.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Happy New Year to you and yours. Sorry to hear about your hubbys grandmother. The doll is lovely.
    twiggy x

    ReplyDelete
  28. So sorry to hear of your loss.

    The doll is so sweet, and I'm sure your daughter will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a delightful little treasure! The hairdo is especially charming. :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Love the doll. I have a similar pattern that I found in a box of treasures from my mom. What fabric did you use for the body? I like it so much more than muslin.

    ReplyDelete