The report

"The report of my death was an exaggeration" ~ Mark Twain.
.
When I said that you might not hear from me for a while, I didn't think that I would be disappearing for the rest of the summer. Well, the first half of the summer was spent without a car, with two stir crazy kids confined by heat and a poorly designed public transportation system to the house / local park / backyard paddling pool / supermarket (which involved a less than a mile walk, but you would have thought that it was a death march with the way that the kids were complaining. Ok, it was hot, but I'm pretty sure that the one carrying the shopping while dragging along two kids had the worst end of the deal...). Then the second half of the summer was spent rushing around trying to squeeze in all the things that we missed out on during the first half of the summer.
.
By the way, I love that the cities around here put on free concerts and movies in the park during the summer. One group of people had set up a table, with a table cloth, napkins, fancy meal, dessert and wine at one of the concerts. What a great way to dine.
.
So what did we do this summer?
My parents visited and we went camping.
My friend visited and we went sightseeing (although, if you ask me, I'd advise steering clear of many of the local sights).
We did a bit of time-travel.
Played baseball.
Then checked out how the big boys play it.
We made sandcastles.
that turned out nothing like this.
We splashed.
There was lots of courage displayed at swimming lessons.
There were busy days.
and then there were quiet days.
Summer holidays have come to an end now, though. The swimming pool and wading pools are closed. My son calmly started first grade last week (it was his mum who had first day butterflies). My daughter goes back to preschool next week (she's disappointed that she's got to wait another year before she gets to go to kindergarten). I'm back.
.
Translation of the day:
UK English: holiday= vacation in US English
UK English: bank holiday or public holiday = holiday in US English.
.
American publishers have marked a lot of special dates on my calendar, but not all of them get you a day off school or work. I'm still trying to work out which ones do. Do we get a day off on Columbus day?
.
Ooh, I almost forgot. Talking of calendars: I'm in one! Well, to be more precise, my pear pincushion pattern is in it. The calendar is a collection of simple sewing projects - two a week, I believe. I had no clue what to expect, so I was really excited to get my copy. Some really talented bloggers and sewers have contributed projects to this calendar. I feel very intimidated by the company that I've found myself in.
I hope that those of you in the Northern hemisphere enjoyed your summer. Take care.

22 comments:

  1. It looks like an amazing summer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a fantastic Summer. My boy started full time school this September - sigh!! thankfully he loves it. Well done on being in the calendar, it looks terrific.
    twiggy x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Arrr (as we say in Dorset)! Glad you're back and that you've had a good summer. Isn't it nice to have the kids at school for some of the time? Only another year before Thing 2 joins Thing 1 at proper school! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome back. I'm glad you've had some wonderful summer days. Sorry about the car though. That would have made me a bit barmy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I get such a thrill each time I see that calendar pop up in a bloggy friend's post - congratulations!

    And looks like you packed a lot of memories into summer (the car trauma one will fade I'm sure)!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was wondering where you went! I'm glad you had a good summer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on the calendar! It looks like fun, so I put it on my wish list. Glad you're back.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great reason to not be blogging - enjoying time with the family:) Glad to see you're back & congrats on the calendar. That is so amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I will be sure to look for the calendar. It looks like it will be great for my daughter and I!

    And, while I remember having the day off for Columbus Day at least once when I was very young, the answer is "no" - you do not get the day off. Though I wouldn't be surprised if the Post Office does.

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh that is great, I was thinking something must have gone wrong!! i fell in love with the blue smocking and have visited ever since. enjoy the peace.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, my last few (sparse) posts have a flavour of the chaos of our summer holidays...!
    Love my kids and everything, but blimey am I pleased they're back at school/preschool...! (My biggest had her first day at school too! Nerve-wracking.)
    x x x

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was quite taken with your Emmeline apron...as soon as I purchase a pattern and cloth, I want to make one for myself and my DIL. I hope the calendar you're in will be available on the east coast or that I can find it online. I'm happy you're back....I enjoy reading about young mothers and their children, my son and DIL have an adopted 2 year old and they're discussing adopting another baby. Blogs like yours help me keep up on young motherhood.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks like a good summer overall. Glad it was a good 'holiday'. My youngest also started school, with no momentum at all - he just went off on the first day by himself - and I see also that someone has been shopping for swimmming trunks in one of my favourite supermarkets in the UK too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. ooh! congrats on the calendar. i would feel like a total ROCK star ;-) looks like you did a good job making up for the first half of the summer. i'm not sure i realized that we had two the same age... although tate seems content to not go to K this year and has, in fact, told me he doesn't want to go back to preschool. oh joy. that should be fun.

    welcome back!

    ReplyDelete
  15. that calendar looks super cool. congrats on getting published in it! perhaps i'll have to let my husband know about it for christmas or something. (you do get school off for christmas- don't worry. i must admit, however, that i'm not sure about columbus day.)

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's funny just as I was scrolling down your holidays pics (very slowly as my browser's playing up) I noticed you had a pear tutorial and thought I must go look at that and here it is in this calendar I've been seeing about the place. Well done for being featured in it. I was looking forward to hearing how the crochet is going? Bx

    ReplyDelete
  17. i see iwas not the only one on hiatus. glad to see you had a very event filled summer.

    congratulations on the calendar! i'll keep my eye out for it. xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. So awesome to see you back at it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Gosh, I really like the second photo on this blog post. The one of the lake. Where do you go camping?

    Congratulation on one of the pin cushion being in the calendar.

    ReplyDelete
  20. It does indeed look like you and your family had a full summer. You are the woman to do all of that walking with your kids at the beginning of the summer! You probably have buns of steel now!
    Congrats on the calendar - isn't it cool to see your project in print and recognize so many of the other contributors?
    Yea, Columbus Day is just a regular ole day...maybe have a bottle of Italian wine in honor of him.

    ReplyDelete