School's out for summer

Gulp. No school for 13 weeks.
.
I think that there were just as many mums crying today as there were on the first day of Kindergarten. I stayed true to my British roots and kept a stiff upper lip. Whatever illness I had has left me with some sinus infection, so believe me, no one there would have wanted to see me bawling...
.
My son has had the best ever Kindergarten teacher this last year. I really could not have asked for a better teacher. We went in on the class gift, but I think that even if I hadn't already made something extra, I would have anyway, as she is such a sweetheart. My son had told me that she likes to bake cookies. I don't know how reliable my informant is, but if even someone with my culinary abilities has an apron, I'm hoping that she might like one too, even if she just uses it when cleaning out drains or something. So I made another Emmeline apron. Side 1:
Side 2:
I added an inch or so to the pattern after reading a discussion on the sizing online, figuring that I'm pretty small-framed and I don't think that I would want mine any smaller. I'm not so sure that I needed to, though (maybe I used bigger seam allowances than those recommended when I made mine?). I hope it fits her ok. Still, at least the mirror got dusted. Here's how they look without the weird side lighting:
Ok, the gloomy weather we've been having lately is wonderful, but it is awful for taking pictures. Alright, now I've played around with the colours on the computer, so hopefully this will give you an idea of the actual colours:
I'm not ready for my son to be a first-grader. Does he have to grow up this fast?
.
Thank you for the sympathy for my sewing machine troubles. The needle had stopped moving because some part had come loose under the *wheel thing on the right side*. The big round thing that you turn to move the needle up and down (I'm guessing that there probably are technical terms for these things). I popped it open and tightened the part, so hopefully that will be ok now. As for the tension nuttiness, when I next got the machine out I noticed that there was a small piece of metal on the *metal thing that you put the bobbin in* that was a fraction out of place and caught on an edge. Now I'm wondering how I was even lucky enough to manage to sew that final bloomin' line of topstitching without the thread going nuts.
.
I'm still scared of the sewing machine, but now that I've poked around it a bit, I do feel like I'm starting to get to know it a bit better, even if I can't name the parts...
.
Translation of the day:
UK English: plaster or Elastoplast = adhesive bandage or Band-Aid in US English.
.
I think people here think that I am raising two little hypochondriacs, as my kids keep demanding a plaster after they've taken a tumble. Americans think that they are asking for plaster casts...

32 comments:

  1. Oh, so you made another Emmeline? It looks lovely and I'm sure your son's teacher liked it.

    I would love to give my sister an Emmeline, but the thought of making anpther one makes me tired... But then again, making a second one should be easier than the first as I mamde every possible mistake then and don't have to make them now... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is the sweetest apron. I'm sure she will wear it around the house for no reason in particular, just because it is so cute. I mean, I would. Love your fabric choices. Here's to hoping your machine lives a long and fruitful life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We still have a month to go before school finishes, and I'm not sure who's looking forward to it more, me or them!

    Lovely apron. I have 7 teacher gifts to make. I'm not sure what they'll be yet but they'll have to be quick things ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. As much as you are dreading the 13 week holiday I long for the long summers from home. Somehow 6 weeks just doesn't seem long enough and these last few weeks before the break up in July always seem to drag.

    Love the apron. I bet she will love it! I'm just in the process of making gifts too as my DD2 has had an amazing year with a wonderful teacher. I'm making denim totes which I shall fill with goodies from the shop...a bottle of wine, some speciality biscuits and some chocolate. The only prob I've got is that although there is one main teacher they have a very active and supportive TA whom I feel deserves the same gift...the question is will the other TA who doesn't spend the same time in my daughter's class feel bad if I give her a slightly smaller gift? I might make the other TA a small handmade gift like a journal cover or something...hmm

    Thanks for listening! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I will have shares in a plaster company, my children see them as some sort of badge of honour and "need" plasters almost everyday! Lovely gift. Still have 5 weeks here till we finish.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it! How on earth did I miss the first apron!?!? Love the gathering in the bust!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are really my most favorite aprons - wonderful! And you are quite the model! I thought I was the only one scared of their sewing machine....
    Plasters - every kid goes through a stage where they want to wear plasters all the time for the merest of scrapes.
    As far as gulping about 13 weeks I was just getting ready to post ideas for the kiddos for summer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That apron is lovely! I love it. My son will be a senior next year. I wish he was only going into first grade.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is awesome! Dual sided and super cool! I really like the bust area. They came out great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful apron!

    Hope you feel better soon, and that your sewing machine behaves itself...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I adore this pattern apron. I made one that I ended up giving away. The double layers made me too hot whilst working over a stove and steaming sink.

    If I ever make it again, me thinks I'll just make one side with a simple ultra thin muslin inside.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a fabulous apron, and just adore the fabrics you used! And really, what a great gift for a teacher...okay for anyone!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I bet she will love that. I know I would what lucky teachers your kids have.

    ReplyDelete
  14. very cute I love that red fabric

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, she's going to be one happy teacher. Five weeks to go and I haven't thought about teacher gifts. Perhaps grocery bags...

    ReplyDelete
  16. They grow up far too fast! Lovely apron, his teacher will love it - what a lucky lady!! x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful apron. I love it! Lucky teacher :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Just found your blog surfing and have read back quite a few posts great blog just wanted to add quite belatedly best wishes to your friends who lost their son at xmas...as all the commenters said makes you realise what is important ..I work in a hospital & spend a bit of time each day in the palliative care ward ( doing their menus) I cant understand the people I work with who whinge about things ...I am grateful every day I wake up & am not in there( lovely as the staff are) we lost a 43 yr old woman to day ....its so sad..but at least I can be happy with what I have & money isnt everything...anyway love your blog will be back soon have a great week :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. At our house, you had to show significant active bleeding to qualify for a BandAid, I got tired of opening the stupid little packages! Evil evil Mom I am...

    ReplyDelete
  20. Very cute. I've always loved this pattern. You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your sewing machine 'thingy majiggy' explanations had me in fits of giggles - thank you!

    Love the aprons and 'yep' I know how you feel about the children growing way too fast - my daughter is starting infant school in September - is that the same as first-grader??

    Nina x

    ReplyDelete
  22. lovely apron..what a thoughtful gift for your son's teacher :-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. oh, i just love the emmeline apron! i is so fun and simpel to sew up! i love the fabrics you chose too!

    ReplyDelete
  24. We say 'plaster' too over here :) Sometimes 'handyplast' although we have elastoplast as well but we never call it that...

    Lovely apron!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love the apron - what a great gift! I have the Emmeline pattern too but haven't got around to making it yet - somehow the fabric I have set aside always seems to end up being used for something else.

    Enjoy the holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hello - I popped in from Fioleta's site. That apron is absolutely adorable! I want one! I'll have to try and find the pattern.... Oh, and the time.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I have a sewing machine just like yours - it pretty much eats every piece of material that goes near it. It's very old but I still have the manual so I'm going to have to read the 'servicing' pages I think. Love the apron, what a generous gift. I have the pattern but haven't dared to have a go yet.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I didnt cry but I panicked. We just try to keep REAL busy.

    I love these aprons. I just love lookingat all your creations. And funny my three year old daughter makes alot of faces at the camera too. I just had to laugh through that whole post. I just love the peasant blouse.

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a beautiful apron! And yes, you are probably smaller than most people - you skinny mini! I've seen this pattern all over blogland, but your picture really makes me want to make one even though I don't wear an apron very often. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  30. I just found your blog, and I love it!! I especially love that apron. Could you do a tutorial for how to make it? I am new to sewing, but am dying to have one of those aprons!!
    Kristi

    ReplyDelete
  31. Loved the Emmeline apron...I know your son's Kindergarten teacher will use it and enjoy it...will be back to visit your site....

    ReplyDelete