I felt the earth move under my feet

Ah, my dear daughter, who can not stand still for 5 seconds. Thank goodness I don't want to put pictures of your face on this blog, as I don't think there was a single picture in the whole batch of you just looking at me (please stop crossing your eyes).
.
I bought the material months ago, but have only just got around to replacing my daughter's outgrown peasant top (less than a year later and her belly shows when she wears it - how is that possible?). And then we had a 4.7 earthquake (definitely felt it this time). The last time I made her a peasant top it was a 5.4 quake. Do I dare put together the one that is cut out and waiting to be sewn? Should I contact Cal Tech's seismology department before I make any peasant tops and let them know that a seismic event may be about to occur?
.
Aside from their earthquake-triggering properties, these tops are great. So quick to sew and they look good in busy (read 'stain-concealing') prints. I was even able to use the template I put together last year, as she's been growing upward not outwards. I've been seeing lots of similar ones on blogs lately, so I think that there's plenty of patterns about.
The next one is in a less practical fabric. I'm just not sure if I should risk another quake.
.
Translation of the Day
UK English: Gordon Bennett! = an exclamation of surprise, anger or disbelief in US English.
It can be used as a more publicly acceptable replacement for several swear words or 'Oh My God!' although the latter seems to be used these days for every little thing here in California, while Gordon Bennett is reserved for the more emotional occasions.
.
For instance, when your house starts shaking around you, it is a good time to say "Gordon Bennett!"
.
I think the phrase "OMG! that is so, like, adorable, you should totally, like, get that" is unlikely to ever be rephrased using Gordon Bennett.

21 comments:

  1. This is very pretty indeed, I love the stain concealing properties of the pattern, I've been late learning this lesson. Is it your own pattern? I haven't heard the expression Gordon Benett for a long time, more likely to have a cor blimey or blimmin' 'eck in this house!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a fabulous top. I really really like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is inspiring me to make one for my daughter too. It's unlikely that it will induce seismic activity of any kind in this region...maybe a thunderstorm of the biblical type :)

    We say "bleddy" a lot...a corruption of 'bloody' and then truncated from its noun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is mildly freaky, as I've been making the very same thing for my girls recently - and for myself too. I didn't elasticate the sleeves though as they fuss about elastics. Maybe one of these days I'll take photos of them!

    Glad you enjoyed the choccies- I think Maya Gold reminds me of Old Jamaica - I wonder if that's what you remember too?

    Gordon Bennett - I'm glad you say that too. Lots of people I knew growing up used to say Gordon Banks instead and that never sounded right to me. Latest favourite child friendly rude words here: "Oh, Christmas Eve!" (to be uttered just after seeing a huge spider) and "squiddle" (to replace a word that rhymes with fit). Though my word verification today is "poxim" which could also work in some circumstances.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I might try replacing OMG with Gordon Bennet. I kind of like the way it sounds when you say it out loud. Apparently at the moment I'm saying Crikey O'Riley a lot, which is annoying himself no end.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I definitely need to say gordon bennett more!

    Cute top... oh to have a girl to dress!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i love this... as usual, dear. little frightening about the quakes though. if i try it and end up with one HERE in the NE, we'll know there is something serious going on here ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. so sweet. i love making little tops like this for my daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  9. ...I feel the sky tumbling down...

    I love the top.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh gosh. I love this top! So sweet and simple.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fab pics! You did a great job on that top...very sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well Gordon Bennett! I have tried to make a similar top for myself that was nothing but disaster making me realize that sewing clothing is not something I ever want to do again. And this has got to be like, OMG, the easiest top to make. Your model is super cute in her top, but yes I would consult an earthquake expert before sewing another one!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Moonstitches also has an adorable daughter whose face she doesn't like to show. There's a cute post about it with a hilarious photoshoot.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hmmm, perhaps you should save all your peasant top sewing for a break spent in Australia. We don't get much in the way of earthquakes here... come on over and put it to the test. ; )

    ReplyDelete
  15. Too cute!! And she wears it so well!

    :)S

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely, really lovely smock. The simpler The better for our sweet girls.
    Never noticed a "Gordon Bennett" until today, but I will keep my ears open to catch one some day.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very cute! I wish you luck and stable ground stitching up the other one.

    ReplyDelete
  18. OMG that is so like Gordon Bennettly cute, no it doesn't work does it :) Really lovely though.
    twiggy x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Earthquakes - yikes!

    Gorgeous top. Shame my daughter is a bit to old for this style now.

    Unfortunately a few "bloody hell's" have escaped my lips recently. Yesterday Nipper came charging out of the living room followed by a large buzzing 'thing' and shouting "buddy 'ell, buddy 'ell" at the top of his voice! I forget that 'little pigs have big ears' as they say! Oops!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I too remember days when my daughter could wear tops like these.......simply precious!

    ReplyDelete