Hidden dangers of spring cleaning

Well, I haven't been keeping the curtains shut, leaving the phone off the hook and catching up on things around here.
.
Somehow the spring cleaning led to buying two new bookshelves and moving my daughter out of a toddler bed, which somehow led to plans to rearrange and redecorate two rooms. Ugh, I don't want to do plastering and painting again. I haven't even found a cupboard or finished putting up the shelves etc. in the bathroom yet. Why couldn't I just leave well enough alone??
.
Translation of the day:
UK English: DIY = 'do it yourself' in US English
.
My husband says that Americans do not use the acronym. Not that he would be the one to know - I'm the one that does all the DIY around here. Installing laminate flooring, putting up shelves, putting together furniture etc. etc. is all done by yours truly.
.
Actually, I do like putting together furniture, but it does take a while when you're having to chase curious kids away from the hardware every 5 minutes (my husband was supposed to be entertaining them, but I guess that watching him play computer games wasn't that entertaining...).
.
There hasn't been much spare room / time for crafting. Finding two matching colours of the same yarn in my still half empty yarn stores for a baby blanket has been a challenge. Version #1 felt too thick and fluffy, even for Scottish weather. I started version 2 last night, but I'm not convinced that those colours work. Any ideas for things to make with thick and surprisingly fuzzy yarn?
.
While I'm asking for ideas: We're off to Sacramento for a night or two in a few week's time. Does anyone have any recommendations for things to see / shops worth checking out?
.
(PS. Paperweight made by tying a Monkey's Fist knot around a wooden ball).

19 comments:

  1. I'm not sure about in California, but Americans do say "DIY" in the east. There's a DIY network on tv, actually. Perhaps your husband is just unfamiliar, like you said, since you're the one doing the DIY! Hope to see you back soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmmm DIY, it always gets left to me!! I think I just don't try hard enough at nagging!! Then again I always do the better job!

    Have a lovely break and hope you sort the 'yarn' situation out!

    take care,

    Nina x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ironically, I was just sitting down to post about the Sacramento Railroad Museum. I've lived in Sac for a decade and had never been. Went today with 3 preschoolers and it was really fun. $8 for adults, free for under 6. It's in Old Sacramento which is a total tourist trap but the museum was worthwhile. Also, take the free tour of the Capitol Building. I'm a terrible tourist guide but hope that helps.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I'm impressed! If I started on the laminate flooring I dread to think what would happen but I know it would probably run at a 45 degree angle by the time I got to the other end!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your husband sounds like mine, lol! Yep, DIY is my domain too and his is computer games :P

    What about making this with the fuzzy yarn?

    I guess I should have intro-ed myself first...I'm Daljeet and I have truly enjoyed reading your blog for the past few months :)

    and I've tagged you here

    ReplyDelete
  6. Im very impressed with your DIY skills.

    How about making Bobblicious, that requires thick (fuzzy will do) yarn. The link is in the sidebar of my blog.

    Have a good break.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love walking around "old sacramento". When the weather is warm there (hopefully still is) a ferry that takes you up and down the river stopping at different restaurants...really fun. There are also the outlet malls in Folsom for some shopping and some great stores across from the Galleria mall.

    ReplyDelete
  8. DIY is all mine round here too! Although the husb did paint the house outside and got splattered in paint, which made him feel very manly.
    How about a bejillion pom-poms all sewn together for a squashy blanket? That's a bonkers idea but it might be fun!
    Lovely blog, will visit often
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Dawn. Just to let you know that I do use glass when I frame my work, but it doesn't lie on the actual embroidery - there's a spacer between the work and the glass so it doesn't get squashed! With you on the DIY, although my husband is slowly but surely getting better at it...

    ReplyDelete
  10. DIY definitely is used here. If your husband is like mine, then not using it might be a husband thing... :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like you are a victim of "the one thing leads to another" syndrome. At least that's what happens at my house. Something as innocent as cleaning out a closet, can lead to 2 trips to Lowe's, and moving furniture and buying new paint, etc.
    Doesn't it feel good to have accomplished that project though.
    Maybe you should start a DIY wives support group! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've got DIY coming out of my ears at the moment, trying to get the kitchen refitted and most of the house re-decorated before the baby arrives. I'll be so glad when it's all finished!

    ReplyDelete
  13. glad you're back around!

    why DO men think sitting at the computer with the kids is watching them? or, at least, our men?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, I so know what you mean about DIY. My husband was standing behind the door when they handed out the instructions for handling a screwdriver, how convenient!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I may not do DIY, but I do pay all the bills :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. DIY is really common here - there is even a cable t.v. station named that, and many many books with DIY in the title =] I would be knocked-to-the-floor surprised if I heard my husband use the acronym, though o.O

    I grew up in Sacramento (living in Santa Cruz now), and while I agree that Old Sacramento is a tourist trap, it's a really fun one! There are neat shops there, and at many times of the year, you can go on the boats. The railroad museum is fun, too. Sutter's Fort was always fun, also, and while I was never really that impressed with the Capitol building (I guess I got burnt out on it!), Capitol park is awesome. You can hand-feed the squirrels, see a zillion different kinds of trees, and if the rose garden is blooming, then it's just perfect =] I would spend hours there reading, sitting in or under a tree, and then head to Capitol Garage (a coffee shop on L street right across from the park), and spend all night drinking coffee, watching open mic nights, or poetry readings =]

    Whatever you end up doing, I hope you have a wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I grew up in Los Angeles...we say "DIY"....well those of us that don't have "people" to say it for us!

    ReplyDelete
  18. DIY here too!
    As for spring cleaning...ugh....so NOT ready for that....

    ReplyDelete
  19. I guess there is a club our husbands could join together. You perfectly described mine.

    Just plain cleaning up so often ends up in reorganizing that it takes forever and changes everything instead of simple cleaning up. Crazy me.

    ReplyDelete