Avoiding painting the living room

Well, both versions 1 and 2 of the baby blanket got scrapped. My friend that just had the baby has been my friend since we were toddlers and it just didn't seem right to give her a blanket that I was not happy with - and one that did not seem to fit her personality either.
.
There was still the problem of finding some yarn that I did like, though. The above eggs (made using this pattern) are made out of yarn that I have stashed, ready to make a normal blanket with. So, I did pull those out for consideration, but, while I love the colour combo, the yarn just doesn't feel soft enough to go against a baby's soft skin.
.
So when I found the same yarn that I have used before, I went with it. I had hoped to have a change from what seems to be becoming my standard baby blanket pattern, but I know this yarn works and, more importantly, I think she'll like it. I hope so, anyway.
.
I think I will make my daughter a messenger bag out of the ridiculously thick yarn, as we do not know anyone in the Arctic that will need a baby blanket anytime soon...
.
Meanwhile, here's a sneak peek at what I am making next. Hopefully I'll be able to find the sewing machine - it's probably covered in rust, dust and cobwebs by now...
Translation of the day:
UK English: yonks = a long period of time, an age, ages in US English.
.
As in, I haven't sewn anything in yonks. I hope I remember how to thread the bloomin' machine...

12 comments:

  1. Glad to see you post!, Any thing to aviod painting LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I love the last picture! What is that called? Is it smocking? I am intrigued as the what you're making ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait to see what you are sewing. I haven't done any in yonks either.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am such a sucker for smocking. Cannot wait to see what this will be.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I keep meaning to give this a try...I love the look and want to do a texture quilt. Great macro shot!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. Can't wait to see what it is that you're making. The eggs are smashing by the way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow Dawn!! I'm in love with those eggs, and that pin tucking (is that what it is called?) It is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those eggs look great!

    Are you doing smocking? That's something I've always wanted to try...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the smocking! I wonder what you're making!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cute eggs! Can't wait to see your next sewing project.

    ReplyDelete
  11. once years ago, I didn't have the cash to buy soft baby yarn. But I did have a wonderful stash of other yarn in baby pink and baby blue. So I created a granny square type afghan for my sister's newborn (she is 29 now!) I called it something creative (can't remember WHAT)and told her it was to be used on the floor and on the couch, etc as protection for her little knees when she crawled and for the furniture when she yakked! Believe it or not, that is EXACTLY what she used it for. It has held up wonderfully over the years and is being saved for her first grandchild.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have been looking for this blog again for AGES! I spotted the honeycomb smocking post you did last year and it was the entire starting inspiration for my girls' christmas dresses which I couldn't have been happier with the turn out of. Thanks! And now I finally know who to give the credit to :)

    http://marylauriehuber.blogspot.com/2010/02/one-of-manyof-course-of-reasons-i-love.html

    ReplyDelete