Normal posting will resume shortly...

Next week, after I file our taxes, that is. Sorry, it's been a little hectic around here and I simply haven't been on the computer. Aside from searching for crumpled receipts and lost statements (one year I will get around to setting up a better system for organising all this tax stuff), I seem to have found myself doing lots of tasks for other people, while things on the home front have been a little neglected.
.
We did find time to eat a little cake. How is it possible that my little lad is now 6??
We also have a new nephew. That's 10 nephews / nieces now. My money tip for those struggling in today's economy is: marry an only child. Seriously. Christmas can get pretty expensive these days. My husband still has siblings who have yet to start reproducing...
.
When I have found myself at home with a little spare time, I've been spring cleaning. No, that doesn't mean my house is now tidy. It just means that you are less likely to get injured when opening a few certain cupboards. Unfortunately, you are now more likely to get injured tripping over one of the many bags destined for charity that are lying around the place (if you haven't already gone head over heels over one of the many piles of tax paperwork that are littering my bedroom floor, that is...).

.
The last thing that I did make was another set of fingerless gloves. I used this pattern this time.
I'm not sure that I agree with her when she says that this is a good project to start learning how to knit cables with. Cables are a lot easier than they look, but adding yet another set of needle points to all the double-ended needle points sticking out in all directions is a little fiddly. I'd imagine that it's easier to knit cables on normal needles.
It was a nice easy pattern, though. There's a mistake that I didn't fix on the one glove, which is bugging me, even though I don't think it is too noticeable. I'm thinking that I probably have enough gloves now, though, considering that I live in Southern California. I even wore shorts one day last week. Tch, I'm not ready for winter (I use that term loosely) to be over.
.
Ah well, I'd better get going - got a nephew to visit. I just thought that I had better pop my head around the door and let you know that I am still alive and kicking. I can't wait 'til next week. I plan on keeping the curtains shut and leaving the phone off the hook, while I catch up on things around here. I'm scared to even peek at what my e-mail inbox looks like these days.
.
Take care all.

19 comments:

  1. ...suposed to be doing my taxes right now...sigh....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your house may look like my house... I have several bags scattered all over the place in the process of being filled so that they can go off to Goodwill. It's always a messy business when I get to cleaning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Spring cleaning...a lot of that going on around here. Love the mitts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good to see you back! Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like my house. We are totally upside down at the moment. Emptied out the lounge to decorate it and have now emptied out the kitchen as it's being replaced. In the middle of all this someone backed into my car and wrote it off so it's been a bit of a mental couple of weeks!
    Happy belated birthday - they grow up so quickly don't they.
    Love the gloves. I fancy trying cables but havent been brave enough yet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now if you fancy flying over to sunny Yorkshire and doing my paperwork and housework I'd be more than happy to feed you ;) Happy Birthday to your boy, time just whizzes by, doesn't it?
    Twiggy x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice to see you back! Happy birthday to your boy.
    Your fetchings are very fetching. I really enjoyed knitting that pattern too - the cables are very insulating!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely to see you back again!

    Nina x

    ReplyDelete
  9. 6 nieces and nephews myself and two siblings yet to produce, so i hear ya!

    love the mitts and that cake picture.... oh, how did MY LAD get to be 6 too?????

    ReplyDelete
  10. So yes, you do understand the desire to set fire to the house rather than actually deal with the messes and spring cleaning!
    I'm thinking you all need to start drawing names for Christmas instead of buying for everyone.
    You have lovely hands btw perfect for modeling those new fingerless mitts!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad to see your back! I had just found you when you last posted.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The marrying an only child thing definitely cuts down on gifts - I speak from experience...

    ReplyDelete
  13. both our lads had a b-day this week?!! cool! mmm, maybe not. each year is a struggle to face that he must get older.

    ReplyDelete
  14. UGH!

    We had our taxes done last week, too. At least it's over and Uncle Sam owes US this year so that's good news.

    Love your knitting. And happy BDAY to your boy (my girl is 6, too)

    :)S

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hiya! Happy Belated Birthday to your son! My daughte will be five this year.

    Also, congratulation on being a Aunt to 10 nephews.

    Nice Fetchings by the way!

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy birthday to your little one. Isn't every birthday amazing? It looks like it was a great one.
    Glad to read your post and looking forward to more.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello! Your blog is very pretty. Encarni fron Spain.

    Happy birthday to your little one.

    Good bay.....My blog is:
    encarni-artezubia.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy birthday little lad. Isn't six a lovely age?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love your blog...especially love the tip about marrying someone without siblings...made me chuckle !
    I am hoping the count of 13 nephews and nieces is the final tally...must remember to get some brochures on vasectomies from work and hand out to the brother/and brothers-in-law !

    ReplyDelete