Rainy day

Once it was mentioned that an 8 year old boy had given his seal of approval to the melted crayon hearts, we decided that we would use up the rest of our broken crayons and make some more for my son's Kindergarten class, too.
I'll admit it, I wasn't really looking forward to thinking of something else to make, anyway. I don't get very excited about hearts and pink frilly things. The main reason I look forward to Valentine's Day is that as soon as it's over the stores start stocking Cadbury's Creme Eggs ready for Easter. Well, it is the only time of year that I can buy English chocolate here without having to pay import store prices. American chocolate just doesn't compare...We had a rainy time last weekend, so the kids and I spent a nice day huddled indoors. We made cookies (heart shaped as I couldn't find the gingerbread man cookie cutter - they didn't last until Valentine's Day, though...).I faced my fear of commitment and finally got around to putting some paint on a peg doll. It was just a practice version using what paint I had on hand, but I think there will soon be more around here. Can anyone recommend a varnish?
And you're probably wondering if you're experiencing déjà vu, but no, this is just yet another baby blanket using the Catherine Wheel crochet stitch. Yep, I've even used the same yarn as a previous one, but you can blame my 3 local yarn shops for that. Apparently they all had big sales to clear out stock (without telling me...), then didn't bother to restock. All that was left was empty bins and all those weird colours that no one wants to buy, so I was kind of relieved to finally find these yarns in the third store I tried.
It is different from the previous blanket, in that the stripes run in the opposite direction. I'll pretend that that was on purpose and not just the result of my poor counting when casting on...
The main reason that I am mentioning this blanket, though, is that it is the first time that my husband has asked me to make something (it's for a workmate whose wife is expecting - I'm experiencing the usual worry about giving a handmade gift, especially as I do not know them that well). Normally my husband views my making things as just an annoying hobby...
.
Translation of the day:
UK English: crisps = potato chips in US English
UK English: chips = french fries in US English
.
It's not just the chocolate that is a disappointment in the US. Crisps in England come in all sorts of flavours, such as prawn cocktail, Worcester sauce, ketchup, barbecue, roast chicken and stuffing, ready salted, cheese and onion, smoky bacon, bacon and cheddar, mango chili, salt and vinegar..., ok so that's all I can remember off the top of my head, but I know I am missing a few (someone told me that 'squirrel' is a new one, is that true???). Americans, it really is about time that you demanded that prawn cocktail flavour crisps grace the supermarket shelves over here...
.
Take care,

32 comments:

  1. The crayon hearts are a great idea! Can I ask what sort of mold you used (eg: was it a biscuit/cookie cutter) ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. sorry - a bit slow! I just saw on your other post you used a muffin tray. I'll experiment with what I have available in my kitchen. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this post full of hearts. Crayons and cookies. And your peg doll is adorable! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh.my.yum at the chips! swoon. I'm drooling here!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The squirrel one is true!
    Here's a link to the article:

    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/4206310/Cajun-squirrel-among-crisp-flavours-tested-by-Walkers.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your peg doll, she turned out beautifully! I have some of these sitting in my craft bin, and I haven't dared to paint them yet.

    I miss UK crisps, with all their lovely flavours. And you're right, US chocolate is not very good - that's why I only eat Ghiradelli chocolate chips...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pickled onion monster munch are my favourites. I don't even know if they still make them! Baby blanket turned out lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I couldn't agree more about the crisps and chocolate! I can't tell you how many times we've had to run all over the place looking for authentic Cadburys for my dad - who will eat nothing else. He's also been known to pay hundreds of dollars at Christmastime to have Yorkshire midget gems and wine gums shipped bulk from England!

    Love the peg doll by the way... my Grandma used to make them when I was really little and I had forgotten all about them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How about salt and vinegar?? I always bring a few packets back when we go for a visit but they are usually squashed by the time they get here. I miss them...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I completely agree with you about American chocolate. I'm in Canada, and while our chocolate is inferior to UK chocolate, it is still vastly superior than American chocolate, not to mention that Cadbury chocolate is readily available here.

    As for the crisps/chips, we have some great flavours here in Canada. A couple of the more recent ones being Curry and Wasabi.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'll happily give up all crisps and chocolates to have your choice of fabric/trims etc... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your peg doll is adorable! And she has arms - when I made some it didn't even occur to me that I could design arms on them. But then again I am a moron! I used Mod Podge to seal mine and it worked quite well.
    I think your blanket will be well received and the bonus, maybe your husband is seeing the advantages of having a crafty wife.
    Now that is an interesting list of chip, oops I mean crisp flavors. But have you never tried loaded baked potato or sour cream and onion (personally that one is blechhhhy in my book), or cracked pepper. I know.... not nearly as creative as prawn cocktail or mango chili.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your peg doll is very cute - love the little daisy she's holding! OK, I got a friend to bring me a Mars bar from home. Not high quality chocolate, I know, but so far superior to Milky Way here (closest approximation that I am aware of). I lived in Singapore before this and at least we had Marks and Spencer! And Enid Blyton, not that she is edible. I shipped all my Enid Blytons here with me and the kids are now enjoying listening to them being read aloud. Am glad you're getting your "home" fix soon, too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the crayon hearts, and the peg doll, and the cookies, but especially the baby blanket - it's gorgeous.

    You can read all about the latest flavours of crisps here: http://www.walkers-crisps.co.uk/ - apparently the fish & chip flavour ones are hideous, ditto the bacon and egg ones! I had no idea you don't have 'flavoured' crisps over in the US! :-O

    x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love your peg dolly. You made me laugh when you mentioned casting on incorrectly. I've started knitting a baby blanket for the new nipper and I couldn't get the pattern to work out. Turned out I had 10 stitches too few. Don't know how that happened!
    When I was in the US I really missed flavoured crisps, good chocolate (don't know why people rave over Hershey's), a decent cup of tea, and squash/cordial. I couldn't get my head around that Kool Aid powder, especially as I understand people often use it to dye wool! Oh, and being from Lancashire I had terrible trouble with people understanding my accent!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I left an award for you on my blog:

    http://thriftycraftmama.blogspot.com/2009/02/blog-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ah, you're the perfect person to ask: we're having a bit of a disagreement at our house about the word "ickle," that appears throughout the Harry Potter books. Does it mean "little," or does it mean "icky -- yucky"? Is it always negative, or can it be an endearment?

    We are counting on your wisdom!

    (LOVE the blanket, and your husband's realization that your handmade items are worth requesting and giving!)

    ReplyDelete
  18. love the sweet peg doll... she'll fit right in to one of your fabric cottages!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think crisps might be one of my favorite things in this world ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oooh, love the peggy doll. I keep meaning to have a go at some of those, and never do. One of these days!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am so excited to try out the fabric house, it looks so adorable! Thanks for sharing the tutorial : )

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hope you get a flavored chips fix soon. Not a fan myself. Don't like the aftertaste and film they leave in my mouth. But, to each her own...as for the chocolate, you should try Godiva. People think its imported, but it has always been made in the U.S. Also, you should visit Hershey, PA. Town smells AMAZING, and we learnt that Hershey was commisioned by the armed forces to make a chocolate bar that would not melt so readily. To me it tastes a bit waxy, although it doesn't have any wax in it. But I like to think it had a positive impact in turning the tide of WWII!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. another beautiful snuggly blankie! And that peg doll is hands-down perfect! love it--all of it.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Pickled onion monster munch are still available, and recently they bought back the roast beef flavour. Oh, I just dribbled on the keyboard....
    Also, do you remember the ad 'Daddy or chips?' I always go for chips. MMMMMM!

    ReplyDelete
  25. love all your little goodies here...the little note, so sweet. I've used 'all sorts of varnish'in the past, but mainly one ....clear nail polish (ha)...I'm such a slacker...

    ReplyDelete
  26. No, I've not tried the squirrel flavored chips/crips, but I had to look it up especially since it sounded too crazy not to be true!
    (Do you have a Cost Plus World Market near you? They usually have a semi-decent selection of British goodies)

    ReplyDelete
  27. I want to try all three projects. When am I going to learn to crochet?

    ReplyDelete
  28. Those crayons are such a great, inexpensive gift idea.

    Ohhh those crisps sound so good. Being pregnant again makes me want to eat those sorts of things all the time now. The best available in North America are in Canada: pickle, ketchup and all-dressed and I stock up whenever we're across the border on holiday. Not sure exactly what all-dressed is supposed to be (I suspect it's blend of all the others mixed in 1 seasoning), but they are so tasty....need to go to Canada very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Can't remember if I told you but made 'finger' shaped crayons for my daughters party bags after seeing your hearts. Thanks for the great idea. Also thanks for the comment you left recently - had thought I was talking to myself, you've spurred me on to keep blogging ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  30. i use mod podge on my peg dolls. give it a try and see if you like it.

    ReplyDelete