Round up

The twelve days of Christmas are not quite up yet, even if we're into 2009 already. So, now that I've finally found the disk with the photo uploading software on, here's some pictures of a few more of the presents that I made (as I don't have much else to show you...). Half of the photos (ok, pretty much all of the photos) were taken in a rush on Christmas Eve...
.
Fabric dollhouse made for my friend to give to her daughter (as I have to bribe people to be friends with me...). She picked this sweet gingham fabric:
Procrastination meant that the teacher gifts ended up being the same idea as last year - the clutch from Bend the Rules Sewing (by Amy Karol), with a wee box of English sweets (candies) tucked inside.
Here's the linings: Some pencil rolls for my American nieces, to go with their presents. Made the same way as the lazy crayon rolls, with a few adjustments for size (the pockets were 3/4" wide). Blanket #3, for the nephew to be born in March. I'll unpick the blue / brown border if it turns out that the ultrasound was wrong...
Finally, the apron, that I mentioned, for my niece. Same fabrics as the last one, but with different straps.It almost looks like I've been productive when you put them all together like that.
.
Christmas went well. I always get homesick at this time of year, so if I can't go home to England, the next best thing is having English visitors at Christmas. For one, I don't have to eat the Christmas cake all by myself, although that is a sacrifice I'm willing to make... My parents actively work with me to keep my old traditions alive, though, while my husband's attitude veers closer to, well, a general tolerance but I think he's rolling his eyes when I'm not looking.
.
Having said that, we ended up in the ER from 2am to 8am on Christmas morning (nothing serious, luckily), which scuppered our Christmas Day plans, somewhat. Still, we got home in time for the kids to open their presents, then disappeared so my parents could get some sleep. Christmas dinner, while a tad late, was absolutely scrumptious (yes, mum was in charge). The family party was pushed back to Boxing Day, but went well.
.
What with the news about Diego, I guess you could say that Christmas this year was the definition of bittersweet. I have a lot to be thankful for in my life.
.
Translation of the day:
UK English: (verb) scupper = to prevent from happening / succeeding, to ruin or wreck (it's from nautical terminology) in US English
.
If you were wondering about Boxing Day, that's just the day after Christmas, which is a holiday in the UK.
.
Take care. I hope that 2009 is a great year for you all.

15 comments:

  1. Christmas away from home is hard. That's why I insisted on making the trip home this time as the last one was so awful! Glad you managed to make the most of it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a very eventful time! I used to find Christmases away from the UK very hard - New England snow helped a bit but the phone bills from the hours and hours spent talking to family back home were positively terrifying. Oh, and the lack of Boxing Day ... we used to always spend one of our precious vacation days to make it a proper Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. your gifts you made are simply lovely! I don't know what I like the best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They don't have Boxing Day in the US? :-O Gosh, I didn't know that. We always have a family get-together/party on Boxing Day.

    Sorry to hear about the Emergency Room drama - must have been tough.

    The things you made are lovely though - really lovely.

    Happy New Year.

    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been in the UK now for 8 Christmas' and they are now starting to feel more normal...the first few years were hard as it was different to what I was use to in Canada. I thought the gold and silver streamers looked dated (now I know they are traditional) and having the "big" meal in the middle of the day instead of in the evening seemed strange too. I can still remember the first Christmas wondering if there was going to be a second meal at night and being disappointed that it was only snack foods... :o) I've now adjusted LOL

    Best wishes for 2009

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such goodies you made! I hope over time you are able to forge your own traditions both old and new ~ that's what hubbie and I have done since our families celebrated differently. Every year it's a little different.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I like the idea of putting all my projects together and seeing what was accomplished, but I'm too tired from trying to get them all done! Great job on yours, I'm sure there were some very happy receipients!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Christmas away from home must be very hard -- especially in a warm climate! Yikes. And you hang on tight to those traditions! That's what family is all about. All of the gifts you made are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful gifts! I was sorry to hear of your bittersweet Christmas, we've had one of those. It really does make you count your blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy New Year! Our Christmas was a bit scuppered too as I had the flu. No trips to A&E though thankfully! Lovely gifts - I should think the teachers loved the purses.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those were all lovely presents! Happy New year to you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Everything looks so beautiful. Glad you had a nice Christmas, complete with cake and family.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow I love that little house! i need something like that for my sockbunnies! love your blog - don't quite know how I got here - just doing one of those blog journeys where I click on link to link to link!
    best wishes to you...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello I've just found your lovely blog.
    Lovely, lovely things, sorry about your bittersweet Christmas. It's that time of year I think when we think of those we miss, even more than usual.
    Twiggy x

    ReplyDelete