Out of sorts

The poor trees just don't know what to do. After just a couple of weeks of cool and damp weather (finally!) the temperature around here is back up to 87 degrees. Some of trees had only just decided to drop their leaves, yet others are out in blossom already. If it wasn't for the odd glimpse of snow on the mountains in the distance, winter would apparently be forgotten.
.
I'm blaming the temperature increase on these:
I finished a pair of fingerless mittens (Those Mitts pattern found here). Admittedly, California's lack of a winter means that they will not be seeing much daylight, but I still wanted a pair - for knitting and crocheting indoors. Our house is usually a darn sight cooler than the outdoors and my body is under the impression that I am in my 80s, so I even get swollen knuckles and aching joints here in this warmth.
I used the sewn bind off, to make it a wee bit stretchier around the fingers. I think I put the increases for the thumb in the wrong place. We've already established that I'm a slow knitter, so you know that I didn't finish a pair in an evening, like others always seem to, but at least I've finally finished something this year.
.
I've been feeling really listless. It's not that I'm lacking inspiration, as I have lots of ideas running through my mind. And yes, I have been busy trying to catch up on things, like getting the computer back up and running, the hundreds of e-mails in my inbox, and also clearing out cupboards etc. And my husband has finally got a shift that gives him evenings off, which has some advantages, but has robbed me of the time I previously set aside for crafting: the evenings that I was alone after the kids went to bed. But even so, I need to stop moping and get motivated again.
.
Translation of the day:
UK English: Sod all = slang term for 'nothing' in US English. As in, I feel like I have accomplished sod all since New Year's.

14 comments:

  1. Love the gloves - could do with them in NYC - it is utterly freezing today ....

    I can't tell you how much I enjoy the translations ;-) They make me feel proud to be a Brit and a little homesick - but they never fail to make me smile!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are some of the nicest fingerless mitts I've seen. And I'm with you on the 'achieved sod all' so far this year. January ... not a great month, is it? :-( x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the mitts. I just made my first pair recently and really enjoy wearing them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the mitts!
    I think you should give yourself a vacation from crafting for a while. Enjoy your husband's company, find some good books, stay warm, and re-energize. You'll feel better when you get back to it. Remember, this is supposed to be fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely mitts, have January off and start again next month. I hope you don't mind, but I'm going to add you to my favourite blogs.
    Twiggy x

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh you SO said it. and if you like, you can send me those mitts. although you may want to add me some finger as it is currently 12 degrees here. january is a tough month for me in the freezing cold and dark. it's oddly good to hear that it may just be a tough month, even when it's 87!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely mittens!! I'm working out how to knit them at the moment. I don't think you are as slow as me at knitting, it took me 6 months(on and off)to finish a scarve once.

    ReplyDelete
  8. the gloves are so lovely!
    Each time I visit I think about Diego's family. I hope they know there are those of us still praying for them, for their healing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love those mitts too! Especially the color. I was going to make some using the sleeves of felted sweaters (I don't knit). But I'm sure I'll get sod all done on that project, or I'll have them done by summer!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mitts are great, nice even stitches, love the gray, blends with just about anything...even out weather!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your work. I am sending you the kreativ blogger award. What you need to do is post it on your blog and list 7 things you love, and then nominate a further 7 people. Hope you are able to participate.
    :-))

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh I love these! I've been wanting to attempt a pair for myself. The gray looks wonderful. When we lived in Florida I used to crank up the AC and pretend it was cold outside this time of year. x

    ReplyDelete
  13. 87 degrees? No fooling?? WOW, it's brrcold here; as my granddaughter would say.
    Question, I'm itching to make one of your fabric dollhouses but wonder if just cardboard would work instead of plastic mesh? I'm hoping to make this a project I made and actually finished with items I already have!! lol

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello
    I'm so glad you're feeling the January blahs too. Not in a mean way, you understand, but in a 'I've been feeling the same way' way. Bad English, but hey, who cares. Mope away, I say. Until you give yourself a good talking too. You could pretend that New Year starts today (as the Chinese are currently doing), and take a run up to February!
    xxx
    PS It hailed here last night; it rains every time I take one or other of my small people to school and I have another cough.
    PPS Love the gloves!

    ReplyDelete