Ornaments, as promised

I've seen a couple of things crocheted with wire recently, so I thought I would experiment with crocheting a mini wreath out of garden wire.
It's ok, but not as sweet as these mini wreaths made by my kids (ages 5 and 3) using buttons. I tied the bows for them. There's a tutorial on Martha Stewart's site.
Then I knocked out some wee felt ornaments (just two pieces of felt sewn together) to fill up the tree a bit.
We might have enough to fill the tree with handmade ornaments, once the previous years' efforts are thrown on, too.
Hopefully my husband won't come home early from work tonight, as I treated myself to some mince pies and now I'm in the mood to start putting up the decorations. I might even get around to baking the Christmas Cake this weekend.
.
Whoa. I'm scaring myself now. This is not my usual procrastinating style. I'd better slow down before I start saying crazy things like "and then I'll write my Christmas cards so that they get to the UK on time"...
.
Some good news about Diego: an x-ray has shown some improvement in his lungs. The bad news is that it looks like it is illegal to have an online raffle in California, so I'm going back to the drawing board for ideas.
.
Translation of the day:
UK English: Mince pie = a sweet pie served at Christmas that contains mincemeat. Way back when, it used to be a spiced meat pie, containing some fruit, hence the name. These days it's just dried fruit and suet. Not a ground meat pie. Very tasty. I just had two.
.
I had better get going: my husband came home early. *Sigh*

20 comments:

  1. I love the elf shoes!!! I made some but they turned out UGLY! I also love the button wreaths! Great job I love everything!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think your wire wreath is very unique. i wonder how it would look if you made another in the same way... yet sporadically insert red beads along the way--thus mimicking holly berries.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Careful! Early mince pie eating could lead to peaking too soon!

    Oh, what am I talking about - bring it on!

    Thank you for news of Diego. Hope you find another fundraising idea soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the button wreath - on my "to do" list... Thanks for the link

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your wreaths, especially your kids ones. Great idea!

    Great news about Diego. Im praying he keeps healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What great wreaths - all of them! I'm like you ... I better stop getting ahead of myself - that's dangerous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your tree is going to look great . We are heading away for Christmas so are not going to put our tree up this year - We will however be putting Mum and Dad's up at there place. Love all of the decorations and those button wreaths are super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great way to start the Christmas season!

    I just came across your blog and I adore your sewing. Will visit again soon.

    Happy Holidays!
    Shellie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the elf shoes - is there a tutorial for those out there? I'd love to try something like that. The button wreaths are such a good idea too - definitely something the kiddies can make and keep busy with.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cute, cute, cute! We're getting a full size tree this year, and I can't wait to start filling it up with home made ornaments.
    MMmmmm, pie.

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh I absolutely adore the first two wreath ornaments, adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the wreaths. Thanks for the button tutorial, my daughter and I will be making one this week!

    ReplyDelete
  13. love the button wreaths! what great little gift toppers or for the kids to give as gifts. not this year, because MY usual procrastinating style says that i will be spending the next couple of weeks stressfully trying to finish my own handmade gifts and will tell myself that i'll have the kids make and give gifts NEXT year. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. They are lovely decorations and I really love the button ones.
    I too made some of the Elf shoes last year and they came out very floppy. I pity the elf that has to wear them.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am LOVING your ornaments. I'm trying to make one ornament a day till Christmas and I LOVE yours. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the decorations you and your children have been making!
    You've reminded me I need to go and soak the fruit for my Christmas cake now - I keep on forgetting!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the button wreaths! I'm looking forward to making mince pies with my sister when she comes over for Christmas ... but then we have to go through the whole 'it is not mincemeat' explanation ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've got lots of teenytiny felt scraps so glad I've now got something to do with them. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love all the homemade ornaments!I think those are my favorite types of Christmas trees. Not the fancy ones that have themes but the ones with the kids creations. ( When I say "kids" I mean of all ages.) I have an ornament my husband made at work... during their work christmas party...and it is ADORABLE!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oooooh! I love your button wreaths! You've given me lots of ideas! Wish I had enough skill to make your dolls houses! F x

    ReplyDelete