Na na na na na na na na na na na na na na na na

Batman!
and Robin!It's my little Dynamic Duo all dressed up for Hallowe'en.I really was lucky with finding fabric on sale for these 2 costumes - together they only ended up costing about $5, if you include the mask bought for 98 cents a few years back. I love it when the things that you are making are so tiny that you only need a quarter of a yard for a pair of shorts and sleeves. Actually, make that $6 - I did need to buy a new spool of black thread. Please don't look too closely at the pictures - they're designed to only last the one night...
.
I did go into a little bit more detail than I had planned, though, as unfortunately my kids got hold of the pictures that I was using for inspiration. Suddenly I was getting all sorts of instructions and opinions, such as how the spikes on the arms were an essential part of the costume etc. Still, I saved some money, had two happy kids AND they lasted the night (which was actually touch and go - I used some bias tape handed down to me by my grandmother-in-law. I don't know how old the stuff was, but it was starting to disintegrate even as I sewed. Thank goodness it held itself together...)
I was a little nervous when my son bumped into other Batmans (batmen?) last night. I did wonder, is he going to look at their costumes, with their muscles and cool lines, and start thinking that he would have preferred one like that? But it turned out that he was pretty chuffed with his costume. Maybe I've got another year to go before my kids think the store-bought ones are cooler.
Here's our little jack-o'-lanterns. It turns out that those wee pumpkin carving saws, that you can buy at the supermarket for 50 cents the day before Hallowe'en, are wonder tools. Oh my, I'll never use vegetable knives / saws / steak knives / pen knives (pocket knives) / blunt butter knives again. I might even try a more interesting design next year, too
.
Translation of the day:
UK English: chuffed = happy with, pleased, satisfied in US English
Make sure that you use the correct tense - it has all sorts of meanings when used without the '-ed' on the end...
.
PS. Pictures taken indoors with bad lighting thanks to the rain - that only lasted the 5 bloomin' minutes that I was taking photos...

22 comments:

  1. Oh very cool, the outfits! I thought you'd bought them at the store! But then, I don't remember seeing Robin outfits much, if at all. Well, disintegrating bias tape (which for years I've called bias binding) or no, these are splendid costumes. And your kids look pleased as punch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm very impressed that you made these costumes! they're stellar!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fab costumes. Particuarly Batman's six pack...at least your batman wanted to be batman. I forgot to carve the pumpkins this year. Bad mother all around really!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Their costumes turned out great! Jordan and Devin wore some army attire my sister-in-law bought them last Christmas that was too big for them then. So thankfully, I did not have to spend a time this year!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I could have guessed the correct definition of "chuffed" by the smiles and body language of the kids. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great costumes. Good for you for making them. Your definition for chuff-ed made me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the costumes! I'm so impressed with the handmade aspect. We made a chocolate chip cookie, and it was really a feat for us to figure out how the sewing machine even worked. I learned "chuffed to bits" a few months ago on some talk show - I think it was from Ewan MacGregor, but can't remember for sure. I love that you include "vocab" with each post! You've been tagged!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hang on - you made those *and* designed them? Never mind the children, I'm impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that you still make your kid's costumes. My kids are 10 and 12 and STILL prefer the homemade costumes over store bought. I get to smile too...because I save them. I have no idea WHY but maybe for old time's sake. I love looking at the one's that "made it' through the night!
    O! and I agree, those little carving saws ARE THE BEST! WE had our 1st pumpkin carving contest at our house this year! FUN!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh if my kid see this pic! lol... He was also in his Batman costume but nothing to do with this one!,
    So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love these! Great job and yes, I could hear the boys directing because my boys did the same. Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  12. i love these costumes!!!!! i bought a vintage 70s batman and robin pattern that i am DYING to convince the boys to do next year (didn't have enough time this year) but it isn't even NEARLY as cool as yours (at least in "modern" cool, i LOVE it!) but hoping the boys are still young enough to be chuffed with my stuff too.... and thanks for the knitting encouragement.... i hoping after christmas......too much sewing to fit in before then!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can see why he was chuffed, you should have been too! These are fantastic and way cooler than store bought!
    But dang you - now I have that nanananananananana Batman thing stuck in my head!

    ReplyDelete
  14. those are awesome costumes! i love that you made them. so much more fulfilling. my 3yo has already said he'll be robin next year. so i'll be doing that one, too! assuming he doesn't change his mind, anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  15. They look great. My guess is they will always love your costumes better. Especially when they get to give input.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your costumes look really pro! And I love the poses. Thanks for the Catherine wheel heads up - I've bookmarked it in my stitch book (all four versions, which are marked as skill: experienced by the way - you should feel chuffed). Now I just have to decide what to make using it...

    ReplyDelete
  17. those are some shorty shorts! great job on the costumes. I don't know if I would have even said yes to batman. you have some cojones (I'm sure there is a better british expression for that).

    ReplyDelete
  18. Okay these are just awesome costumes! I especially like Robin's shoes.

    And thank you for the explanation of chuffed! I am always confused by that expression, because I always mistake it for meaning angry or annoyed.

    ReplyDelete
  19. holy macaroni batgirl those costumes are ace. I made my princess obssessed little girl a bespoke dress which she shunned for an old favourte (bought at woolies and bursting at the seems). I'm in the UK and your Translation of the day had me laughing out loud.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Did you accompany the awesome twosome as Cat Woman perhaps??

    ReplyDelete