Aeroplanes and airplanes

Hello. Did you ever watch the Terminator movies? Remember how the machine became self-aware, decided that humans were a threat and decided to exterminate them? Do you think it's overly-paranoid on my part to wonder if my computer has become self-aware and then decided to just have some fun at my expense, just for giggles?
.
My e-mail has gone a little nutty. People aren't always getting my messages, I'm not always getting theirs. When I have had a spare few minutes online, my feed reader has displayed a lovely colourful design and told me that service is temporarily unavailable - yet, when I am too busy to check it, it opens right up. Yahoo groups keeps teasing me that nothing is new, even when I know that is a downright lie. Even my new mouse likes to randomly highlight things and delete them - it double clicks on everything. Oh, and my camera battery charger died.
.
That's the one complaint I have about my camera: you can not just buy a ready-charged battery for it at a shop. However, if you do live in Southern California, I definitely recommend buying a Nikon. After days of frantically searching for a receipt while envisioning my camera parts getting lost in the post (and ordering my kids not to do anything cute or clever while I was unable to record it) I found out that their repair facility is in El Segundo (by LAX). It was rather nice to just swing by and have a lovely lass just hand me a new charger on the spot. Thank you, Nikon.
.
That doesn't completely excuse my lack of blog posting, but I haven't had much time this week. I've been holding wee babes, for starters. My newborn niece came to town for a visit and, remember those inconsiderate in-laws that weren't finding out the sex of their baby? They had their baby and it is another new niece for me. I hadn't realised how long it had been since I had last held a tiny baby - still, it's quite reassuring that I didn't get any daft ideas about wanting more kids...
.
So blanket #3 is now cast on. Blanket #2 (for the nephew due early next year) just needs a border. I'm about to start the second of the two dollhouses that I'm making for others. I'm thinking of ideas for a couple of Christmas presents. But all I have to show you is my guilty pleasure: a scarf I'm knitting for myself, just because I felt like doing some knitting. The stitch pattern is from the boyfriend scarf in Last Minute Knitted Gifts. Book found at my local library, which was rather surprising, as I had thought that they had a policy of no craft books published since the bad 1970s hair days...

My camera is working, but new pictures will have to wait. The orange hazy glow from the sun is drenching everything, the air hurts to breathe, and the ash is floating down slowly like tiny snowflakes. I hope these recent wildfires are extinguished soon, without any loss of life.
.
Translation of the day:
I usually try to avoid using certain words, in an attempt to stop this blog appearing in the results of dodgy google searches for distinctly non-craft-related sites. But these translations wouldn't be much use if I didn't at least make a feeble attempt to prevent you from making some rather embarrassing remarks to your neighbours on the opposite side of the Atlantic.
.
For instance, when my American cousin visited us in England many years ago and playfully asked his 2 year old daughter 'where is your fanny?' , he probably was expecting a few gentle chuckles when his daughter put her head between her knees to look for it. Instead there was silence and a few worried looks being exchanged between the English company present.
.
UK English: fanny = um, female body part, um, that begins with 'v', um, (still trying to avoid those google search results) female genitalia (clear now??)
US English: fanny = bum or buttocks in UK English
.
In case you were wondering, no, the British do not call those wee pouch bags 'fanny packs'- we call them 'bum bags'.
.
And if we were naming a plane, this probably wouldn't be a name we would chose:
And if we did, we wouldn't add a picture of a wee pig-tailed girl, unless we wanted the local police to suddenly be very interested in our whereabouts...
.
Take care all.

23 comments:

  1. I really had no clue about the fanny thing. In Canada we don't really use it for bum, but we do call those bags fanny packs. I guess I'll have to watch what I say around my Brit friends!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the scarf so far...the color is great. I got some similar to this color to make a cowl with. I'm going to go get a Library Card this week and start checking out craft books. :) Good to know the difference in such a simple word in the US to the UK.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He he - my library is exactly the same, the only craft books are the ones with directions for making macrame owl plant pot holders. Remember those?!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My kids are asleep, but your translation made me laugh too loud. I hope they don't wake up.

    I love the scarf, I wish I knew how to knit. Maybe someday. And we are starting to feel better. Thank you for thinking of us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love the translation of the day things..........too fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You've got to love those 1970s craft books at the library haven't you? I often bring some home just to chuckle at the hair and clothes.

    My children snigger (American translation = snicker) whenever the word 'fanny' is mentioned on an American TV programme.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very funny! I have to admit to being rather perplexed when I first realised that "bum-bags" were called "fanny-packs" across the sea!!!

    Lucy x

    ReplyDelete
  8. This made me laugh so much!

    I sympathise with your computer problems. Mine plays up no end. I recently discovered that when hubby reinstalled the operating system he did some sort of quick install and the computer now has some sort of memory of the old system. This is playing havoc with my profile, bookmarks, files etc. Now and again Google tells me that blog posts can't be found and then lo and behold they open later. And hotmail often tells me it's 'working on my request' then doesn't do anything! Cue lots of swearing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely scarf. And I am laughing out loud at the plane picture - even with the US translation it seems highly innappropriate!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You just crack me up. I love your translations. I am good friends with an American and we often have to have deep conversations about we mean. Keep up the good work :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. that was hillarious! i loved the additional picture of the aeroplane. lol.

    brings a whole new picture to the name "Fanny Mae"

    ReplyDelete
  12. too flippin' funny!!! I also had the same moment as an English girl over here in the States when picking my little girl up from pre-school and one of the other mums was telling the teacher about her day which had been '...a right pain in the fanny....'

    I couldn't not smile at that one!

    Dee
    x

    ReplyDelete
  13. This cracked me up hugely!!! Us Aussie use your english so understand with out the translations.

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOL... oh that picture is priceless :)
    Just wanted to say thanks for your comment... I've been over here 10 years nearly, now :)
    Hope the fires are staying away from you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your scarf is gorgeous! And yes, there could be a terminator in your computer, really, no seriously I would be very wary! :)
    It sounds like those wild fires are a force of nature to be reckoned with. Scary.
    The fanny translation - too funny! It only makes me wonder how many social faux paus I've made over the years!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love your blog and am working my way through your tutorial for the fabric dolls house so HUGE thanks for that.

    I laughed so much about the "fanny" explaination. My old boss who was american called me "hey Clare get your fanny in her now!!!" i was mortified, however after much laughter and 8years later we are still firm friends and still laugh about it. All the best

    ReplyDelete
  17. oh MY... this post has cracked my can!!!! i thought i was getting some good chuckles in at the beginning regarding daft ideas about wanting babes and crazy terminator email programs, but the fanny explanation is just too much!!!!! i will SO keep that in mind if i ever make it to england! thanks for the laugh this morning!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I absolutely love your blog. I just found you thanks to a friend wanting me to make that wee little stuffed house for her girl. I get such a kick out of the translation of the day. I am familiar with many of them due to having a British friend, but some I have never heard and I enjoy each and every one of them. I also love your projects and ideas. You are now bookmarked and checked on every day. I may not leave a comment every day, but I will be here enjoying it all. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm currently knitting the boyfriend scarve for my husband, but haven't got very far.

    I'm from England, and I find your translation very amusing. I didn't know it meant Bum in America.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congrats on the new nieces. Lovely to hold newborns isn't it.
    Very funny about the fanny translation!

    ReplyDelete
  21. My that would be embarrassing to mix up US fanny and UK fanny. I'll keep that in mind.
    The knitting is beautiful. I'm in awe of people who knit such neat lovely uniform rows.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I absolutely love that aeroplane! What a laugh. I'm convinced I have weird energy fields or something in my body as electrical equipment also often goes a bit haywire when I'm around - and then behaves perfectly when my husband/the IT guy at work comes to take a look!

    ReplyDelete