Autumn

Well, it's been a week of plastering, feeling ill, plastering while feeling ill, with the usual mum duties thrown in. The bathroom is now ready to be painted, at least. Why my husband was so intent on chivvying me to get to this stage, I don't know, as it doesn't look like any painting will happen for another week or so. Why I couldn't have been left to lie in bed and feel sorry for myself, is beyond me.
.
As for the computer, it has only been seen in the form of a blue glow around my husband's head, as his gaming forum has had political turmoil this week, apparently requiring his constant attention. I did offer a solution for him, consisting of explaining to the forum's members that, 'it's JUST A GAME'...
.
Hopefully it's all sorted now, as I haven't been able to check my e-mail in days. I'm just letting you all know that I'm still alive, then I'm off to tidy the house (guess who was supposed to have been preventing the kids from trashing the house while I was sanding down the bathroom. And yes, my daughter did give herself a haircut while her father was glued to the PC). Hopefully I'll get to my e-mail tomorrow evening. Someone did suggest that I get my own PC, but maybe a new husband might work out cheaper. Hmm, I'll have to crunch the numbers...
.
While I'm sure that you're stopping by purely to read about my computer game addicted spouse, there are a couple of things that I've made. It's been a while since I've shown you some knitted things. Number one is a scarf - the yarn was on sale for 50 cents and bought solely because I liked the grey / green colour. Luckily there was just enough for a scarf for my daughter as I'm not usually a 'fluffy' type and goodness knows what else I could have made with it.
Number two is a baby shrug from Debbie Bliss' book 'Simply Baby', which I made a little while back, but I don't think that I have previously mentioned (edit: you can now download this pattern for free from here). It's a great pattern for a beginner like me: nice and easy and it doesn't take up a lot of yarn or time. I think that the only change that I would make would be to make the sleeves a little narrower next time.
Ok, I had better stop procrastinating and go and clean the house.
.
Today's translation of the day:
UK English: Autumn = Fall / Autumn in US English. I don't think that the English ever use the term 'Fall', but I think that some Americans do say 'Autumn'.
.
I do know that England doesn't tend to have daft over 100°F weather in Autumn. Thank goodness it's cooling off a bit here. I really ought to move to a place that has a winter...

16 comments:

  1. Poor you, hope your feeling better. Lemsip! Do they even sell that over there? Great knitting, I also haven't picked up my sticks for... ages, maybe I should.

    Oh, and let me remind you about our cold, dark, dismal autumn/winters. Waking up when its still dark. Coming home from the school run in the dark. Bring on the over 100F anytime (well, maybe not that high).

    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love love love debbie bliss! her yarn is to die for and her kids clothes are so fun to make! the sweater is ssoo PERFECT!! I LOVE IT!! and about the weather... what the heck!! Its been sssoooo hot! Saturday (today) I have a craft show at the Crown Valley Park and its going to RAIN! hopefully it doesn't get canceled!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh dear! Hope you're feeling better. Hot water with lemon and honey usually sorts me out (with a dash of whisky if you have any). I've been 'home alone' this week so the house trashing has been all down to me, though I know exactly what you mean. I'm in the 'process' of persuading my husband to get a new laptop. I at least have my own but it's very old, really slow and running on an old operating system. I'll get my own way in the end ;o) Love the knitting. I have a furry scarf currently languishing in the knitting box as the yarn is driving me mad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So you have a hubby that is addicted to gaming online, too?! Mine is addicted to World of Warcraft and can make sure he is home everyday at 6pm to play but somehow can't guarantee me that he can watch the baby for 2 minutes while I go use the restroom?! The scary thing for me is...he's turning my boys into little computer geeks too! We have 2 computers and 2 laptops at our home...just for the 4 of us.

    As always...you're craftiness is amazing! I wish I was at least half as talented as you are!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. If your house is like ours ... the sick season is begining. ugh. Hope you are feeling better.

    You kill me with the 'beginning knitter' stuff - if I could knit half as well as you I'd consider myself an expert!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I say Autumn too.......love the scarf and the sweet shrug.......cute little girl too........ :-)
    Hope you are feeling better. I had the flu last week....so nasty.......better now though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. the baby shrug is adorable. i cannot believe you did that as a beginner. it leaves me with the hope that mayhaps i have a chance at it. :)

    moms never truly get to be sick do we? must always take care of others. :P

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm sending you some essential stuff to help in your time of need:
    1) regular, cheap paracetemol (the 16p a packet stuff from the supermarket) - no I'm not cheap, but it works really just as well as the dear stuff;
    2) a large bottle of gin, 1 bottle of tonic, 1 lemon - mix as preferred;
    3) a nice comfy chair;
    4)a note for your husband which reads:
    'I am sick, it's your turn to look after the children, and get off that computer right now, and P.S. you can do the painting too' because unless you state the obvious, they will ignore the fact that you are not up to the usual 450 things that require your attention.

    I hope you feel better soon. Also, enjoy the weather as best you can, it's quite nippy and dark here. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the knitting - both look very sweet. I've started saying Fall, although it's officially "l'automne" here in Montreal!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Certainly no too hot weather here. In fact cold and very very wet would be nearer the mark. I'm looking forward to more crisp, sunny mornings of autumn but haven't seen above two yet!
    Commiserations re the cold - I can't shake mine either (the damp UK weather obviously!) so suggest to you echinecha (sp?) as was suggested to me and which I started taking today in desperation! Bx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your scarf and shrug! I hope you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I want the shrug!
    does it come in my size?
    cindy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love that little shrug! And the grey scarf. Funny how these kinds of things always look so much cooler on kids...

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh that shrug is just darling... i SO SO SO want to learn to knit! i think i would want to make one in every color of imaginable!

    ReplyDelete
  15. the scarf and the sweater are great! i love how you dress your girl!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello - I'm enjoying reading your blog - me being a UK lass living in New York (we have winter for sure here - come find out!!) I have yet to hear any of the US family say Autumn ... I shall be listening out at Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete