1 down, 2 to go

One baby blanket finished, two to go. I'm thinking that I'll give them all as Christmas gifts, as one sister-in-law is inconsiderately not finding out the sex of her baby until the birth. Does she not realise how slow I am at crocheting???
One of the reasons that I am making these blankets is that each of the great-grandchildren so far have been given a baby blanket by my grandmother-in-law, but her arthritis doesn't allow her to pick up a crochet hook these days. The problem with this, though, is that she was great at crocheting, so I fear these new additions to the family are going to feel a little, um, short-changed if they compare theirs with the older cousins' blankets... Ah well. At least these can be used as the functional blankets - you know, the one that you don't worry about when your baby spits up all over it.
Sorry that this is a bit of a scribble and run type post, but I've been struggling to stay on top of things these last few weeks. Little tasks keep eating up great big chunks of my day, leaving me with a never-ending to-do list. Nope, haven't started the Halloween costumes yet*.
.
Translation of the day:
UK English: rubbish = trash / garbage in US English. Yep, I know I've mentioned that one already, but it occurred to me that talking rubbish does not mean the same thing as talking trash. From what I understand, talking rubbish is talking nonsense, while talking trash is more along the lines of insulting someone (sometimes good-naturedly), especially those on an opposing team.
.
For instance, when my new niece says, "why has my sister got a beautiful blanket, when all I have is this rubbish?", you might consider her to be talking trash about my crocheting ability, but she wouldn't actually be talking rubbish...
.
PS. *If those of you with blogs could do me a favour and post less often, that would be a big help. When I actually manage to get on the computer, my blog reader keeps not loading - or won't load pictures if it does load. I'm way behind. That and you're making me look bad...
.
PPS. Sorry for the shadow on the pic, both sunlight and my camera battery were running out on me.

21 comments:

  1. The blanket is very nice. I love baby blankets that are not just pink or blue! I also enjoy your translations. You think you know the language, but sometimes there are nuances...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! It's so nice to see a baby blanket that's not the norm. I love the colors you chose and it looks soft and warm too. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you are quite good with this pattern. it's on my next "thing to try" under the crochet list.

    i like the vocab bits that you post for each comment. i try to confuse my fellow states peoples with your words. though i always said "autumn" so they're not baffled by that one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. that blanket it beautiful!!! I love to crochet baby blankets!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don;t think you need to aplogise for youtr blankets, they're cute! And if they're used, they'll be loved, and that will make them far more valuable than fancy ones that are just kept in a cupboard.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is one fabulous baby blanket - I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would much rather use a blanket like the ones you made versus the traditional blankets you get from places like Target or the ever boring pastel colors (solid blue or solid pink).

    Plus, from what I have seen at Babies R Us...is that solid plain pastels are not in trend any more and that blankets with different colors are much more "in" with the styles.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your crocheting looks sumptuous (not rubbish!). What lucky babies they will be!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Holy cow! Lucky babies is right. Those are gorgeous. My crochet looking NOTHING like yours. Perfect colors and stitches. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that blanket! It's beautiful. That is so great of you to keep up the family tradition. There must be something in the air regarding little taskings becoming all day affairs ... that's just rubbish (right?) he he.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ahh, what a lovely snuggly blanket. Now that I have a baby on the way a blanket is on my 'must do' list, though I don't think my effort will be a patch on yours.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think your blanket is lovely. It's not rubbish at all, the pattern and colors are great! Your little nieces and nephews are lucky to have such a talented Aunt. x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely blanket - and I don't think anyone will be calling it 'rubbish', it looks so lovely and cosy, and you must have put hours of work in to it. A very thoughtful gift.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your blanket's fantastic. I love that you haven't used pink or blue - perhaps the reason why your sister-in-law isn't finding out if it's a boy or a girl... What is the stitch you've used? It's really effective. At least baby blankets are small. I'm going into my second winter of crocheting a king-size blanket made up of squares - let's just say it has about eight more winters to go at this rate... And I'm with you on the posting - so much to do, so little time has never been true for me.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your blanket is wonderful. Um can't see what is rubbish about your crocheting. You are a little harsh on yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  16. this post has cracked me up! thanks for the smile today... i HARDLY think your blanket could be called rubbish as it looks SO lovely to me.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the English translations today! And you scooped me (that means you beat me to it). I was going to ask people to stop posting so that I could catch up. *sigh* Instead I'm taking a little blogging break so I can get some things accomplished.
    Well, actually I guess that means i'm being helpful by not posting....

    ReplyDelete
  18. very sweet........the colors are gorgeous

    ReplyDelete
  19. Are you ok? Haven't had a new post in a while and I'd thought I would speak up...

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your blankets look brilliant! The only thing I'm good a crocheting are little flowers I put on my knittted little girls' hats. Not rubbish but lovely! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love this baby blanket. Those yarns are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete