The scarf still isn't finished...

My six year old cousin died unexpectedly last week. He was disabled and autistic, but had managed to learn how to walk and feed himself. The difference that I saw in him between visits home had been amazing to behold. I can't begin to imagine what my poor uncle and aunt are feeling.
.
I did attempt a little sewing (knits...), but gave that up early on, when it came time to get the seam ripper out (the lining and the outside of the sleeve were the same material, so it was really pretty easy to sew the sleeve on inside out while my brain was off doing its own thing...).
My children's great-grandma had a fall and broke her ribs, so she has been an unexpected house guest for a few days.
.
So, I picked up some crocheting to keep my hands busy while I curled up on the sofa watching children that hadn't finished their dinner get spoiled by an old lady carrying M&Ms...
There's something therapeutic about crocheting a simple blanket. This one's a pushchair (stroller) blanket for one of the expectant mothers in the family on my husband's side. Three out of four sister-in-laws are pregnant right now. The nearest yarn shop didn't have much of a selection at all, but I didn't have time to search further afield. So, it was this or hot pink. I hope that she likes it.
It's using the same stitch pattern as the rhubarb scarf, but it wasn't until I loaded the photos onto the PC that I realised how similar they look when there is nothing in the photo to give a clue as to scale. The paler colours on the blanket are more cream coloured in real life, but the camera really picked up on the coloured strands mixed in.
Yep, still got a long way to go on the scarf...
.
Take care all.

20 comments:

  1. You made it on the computer! Did you have to wrestle a certain someone to get to it? The blanket is great! And I LOVE the scarf.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tragic, I'm sorry to hear about your cousin. Much love. x Scarf is looking good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry to hear your sad news. Take care x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so very sorry to hear of your family's loss; my thoughts and best wishes are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My condolences on the loss of your cousin.

    Do you knit, also? I know a small amount of crochet, and am toying with learning to knit, but have yet to figure out why one would need to know both. Other than knitting is cool and crochet doesn't seem to have the same cool factor.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was a one-on-one aide for 3 years to a little girl with autism who is now six years old...so my heart beaks and goes out to you for the loss of your cousin. I will remember you in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so sorry to hear about your cousin. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry to hear about your cousin. What a sad loss for you all.

    Your crochet seems like a comforting pastime andd looks like being a lovely snuggly blanket. Bx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry to hear about your cousin. I will remember to hug my children extra close when the come back from school.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kind thoughts to your family right now, I cannot imagine how they will be able to deal with such a loss.

    The crochet is lovely - do like your wool - if that's the worst your local store can do, you're doing pretty well! Mine is just dire. But I live 30 miles from decent shopping....the internet is not the same if you want to 'feel up' what you're buying.

    Best wishes
    x

    ReplyDelete
  11. so sorry to hear of the death in your family.
    The crochet work you are doing is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Terrible to hear about your cousin. We send our condolences to you and your family.

    Sounds like Great-Gran is like mine and my late Gran, grey anarchists... They both did the sweets in the pockets and unsubtly pass them out after we had not finished dinner and been told there was no dessert. Can't wait for my mum to do the same....

    Love the pram blankie. Looks so cozy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So sorry to hear such sad news ((hugs)).
    I'm sure your relative will love the pram blanket. My aunt knitted one for Miss Muffett and it's a real treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh how awful! I am so sorry to hear about your nephew.

    Don't feel back about the m&m's ... we've been known to have them for breakfast. ;-)

    Love the blanket. You are so talented.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You're really have a hard time of it lately. So sorry about your cousin. Hope great-grandma heals soon and things look up for you from here on out. Baby blanket is looking good - love any variation on red and white.

    ReplyDelete
  16. oh, i love these colors! much more than hot pink! ;-) i do so wish i knew how to crochet and knit. so much going on within your family... must be good to have such a thing for your "therapy." blessings to you....

    ReplyDelete
  17. So sorry to hear about your cousin, even harder when you are far away. Thinking of you. Linax

    ReplyDelete