Off to school

I hope that you haven't been feeling neglected. As soon as September hit, my calendar suddenly became a mass of black ink. I've only snatched the odd minute online here and there.
My son started school last week - and now his little sister has started preschool. Both kids went happily into their new classrooms without so much as a backwards glance. Couldn't they at least look a little upset to leave me?? As for me, I had thought that I might be skipping and dancing out the door and off down the street (I don't get much time away from the little darlings), but I was surprisingly nervous about my son's first day. I wasn't one of the mums - or the one dad - that was crying, though. I'm guessing that they have regular babysitters...
.
My son has 2 football (soccer) practices a week. Full uniform and football boots (cleats). Meanwhile these 5 year olds struggle to remember which goal they are aiming for. Tch. In my youth, the goals were just a pair of jumpers (sweaters) thrown on the grass and everyone would be wearing their falling apart trainers (sneakers). And I had to walk to school in the snow...
I haven't been making much. We're re-doing the old bathroom right now. Fun. So, all I've got for you is a needle case.
Yep, I've finally made a new home for all my needles that were usually to be found swimming around the bottom of my 'sewing stuff' box, while their original foil keeper deteriorated. I didn't want anything too twee, so these wrap-around notebooks were just the inspiration I needed.
Oh well, I had better get going. Hopefully I'll be catching up on my e-mails in the next couple of days. I have had a couple of people mention that I don't have my e-mail address posted. Well, that was in case you turned out to be a bunch of nutters. You've been very nice to me so far, though, so I've set up an e-mail account for the blog, that should link to my usual one - in theory at least. It's over there on the left, or on my profile (nb. I can't contact you back regarding comments if your blogger profile isn't activated or if you don't have your e-mail posted on your profile).
.
Translation of the day:
I struggled to come up with an equivalent for this one, so this is what an online search came up with:
UK English: Twee = affectedly or excessively dainty, delicate, cute, or quaint / overly precious or nice / nauseatingly cute or precious / kitsch
These all sound a little too harsh, in my opinion. I just meant that I like simple and functional a lot of the time - things that aren't too fussy.
.
Take care all.

15 comments:

  1. Love the needle-case. That's another one for my to-do list. Won't be for a while though as I've developed a passion for socks (knitting them, lest you thought I was eating them or something - lol!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad they (and you) did OK. The cleats comment makes me laugh. My daughter played soccer this year and I couldn't fathom what cleats were when we were told what we had to buy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My son is back to pre-school this week too. He's delighted of course! I love the needle case, did you use leather for it? Looks fab.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know what you mean about September being busy so far. So much to do! Your needle case is wonderful. I really need one of those, I'm constantly looking for needles in various old cases... And I had to crack up about the email thing, I tend to read each of my new comments with a squinty eye saying to myself, "please don't be crazy, please don't be crazy.." So far everyone has been beyond wonderful, thankfully. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just discovered your blog and I'm so glad I did! Your pears are so lovely! I'll be linking to them this weekend, not to mention adding you so I don't miss a thing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. very clever needlecase. I love the little wooden button closures.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yes the full and crazy September schedule, right there with you! It just seems to get crazier and crazier every year *sigh*
    You've inspired me to get around to making some kind of needle book instead of digging around the bottom of my sewing bag for all the loose needles. We'll see if I actually get to it....and no twee needle book for me either.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the needle books!
    Good luck with the new term. I'm waving my two off as well for the first time. I'm hoping it will be similarly pain free!

    ReplyDelete
  9. First days are always the worst. I cried on my sons first day and dead nervous about my second one starting nursery in January. He's never been away from me argh!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the needlecase! I really have to make one too!! (when I get my sewingmachine back..)

    I'm very nervous too because it's my first schoolday tomorrow...but as a teacher back here in Holland!!

    Love, Ragna

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi I was at you site today and Got the pattern for the pear. Your wed site inspire me . I all so linking to you. kizzy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the needle case - another thing I desperately need. But after seeing yours I feel inspired. Will bump it up the neverending list... Enjoy your stitching time sans little ones!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hope you find the time to create, now that your little ones are off to school.

    You've made a very nice needlebook! : )

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Dawn!

    Found your blog just today and LOVE it! Love the barn and fabric dollhouse and all the other splendid stuff you make. But my favorite must be the translations of the day - I grew up in Singapore (former British colony) so I had to give up "biscuits and tea" for the "milk and cookies" they have here in the US. And why don't they have a Marks and Spencer here? Why? Why? I am going to add you to my blogroll if you don't mind. Thanks for bringing a bit of home to my day today!

    ReplyDelete