Next time I'll try cookies

In case you were wondering whether I was just being modest when I said that my culinary skills weren't up to much:
That is the last time that I'm ever using a cake mix. Probably.
.
I grew up making cakes from scratch and haven't had much luck with the packet mixes that I've tried since moving to the States. But, when there is no butter or eggs in the house (I remembered my lesson from last time: trans fat free spread is not a substitute. And a quick note to my dear husband: please mention when you finish off all the bloomin' eggs, so that I can add them to the shopping list...) a packet mix and some egg substitute stuff is the only option.
.
Luckily the drops of cake burning away on the oven floor didn't set off our hyper-sensitive smoke alarms, for once, so my children remained asleep in their beds.
.
Smear on some glacé icing (the lack of butter ruled out butter icing), and stuff them tightly in a container (so people will think they are grossly misshapen due to poor packing skills) and voilà:
Almost indistinguishable from the ones pictured here, right?:
It's no wonder that people leave my playgroup and move across the country if this is the type of thing I bring to play dates...
.
I'm behind on my e-mails right now, so I'm sorry if I owe you a reply. It's been a little busy around here - that, and my husband plays computer games and hogs the pc...
As for this bag, this is the first thing that I ever attempted to crochet. I had knitted a scarf with the thick fisherman's yarn, but it was too bulky, so I frogged it and crocheted this messenger bag (no pattern, just random experimentation). I want to line it with fabric, but first I'd like to dye it to a more practical colour. Has anyone had any experience in dyeing crocheted things? Is it likely to dye evenly?
.
Ok, I had better get ready for playgroup. If you don't hear from me again, I would put the egg substitute at the head of the suspect list.
.
Translation of the day:
UK English: fairy cake = cupcake in US English
Probably self-evident, but I wouldn't blame you for not knowing what I was talking about with the way they look in those photos...

12 comments:

  1. Oh dear - they do look a little overfilled perhaps! Anyhow, I bet they tasted fantastic and that's the main thing - isn't it!! My girl started off her lone cooking experiments using packets from about 8-10 years but the other day amazed me with fairy cakes from Nigella's Domestic Goddess book. I always use this recipe and it's even hard for a rubbish baker like myself to make a mistake. (You do need the full fat butter and the eggs though!). Bx

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post really made me laugh, especially the bit about packing them tightly to disguise the mishapeness! This is just the kind of thing I would do. I hope they were well-received!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well thank goodness I'm not the only one drips on the bottom of the oven! I'm sure they were delish!
    Quick question - what is frogging? Folding it over and stitching up the sides? You can dye this, but it will depend on what the yarn is. If it is wool it should take dye very well. If you want it brightly colored you might google "kool-aid dying" Or just google "Yarn dying". And you are likely to get several blog tutorials.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you want even dyeing, I'd use a washing machine dye like Dylon.
    But why not go a bit more funky and dye it randomly with different colours of procion dyes. Though that involves a whole new learning curve......

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I think the bag looks so nice as it is. I wouldn't dye it! It may not be practical, but it's gorgeous! You could embellish it with a little pin or felt flower or a touch of embroidery or something to that effect. SO lovely...even with no embellishing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. where do you live in southern california? I live in Laguna beach! I am putting a craft group together, would you be interested?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now all of the overflow bits would just have been an excuse for me to EAT THEM ALL. It's one of my faults...and your crochet purse is really nice, especially for making it without a pattern! x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the bag, and brilliant as you've not crocheted before.

    Sounds like your husband is just like mine - eats the last of something, forgets to tell me, then wonders why it doesn't magically re-appear when I do the shopping!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your bag as is! I'd just line it with really bright, happy fabric to contrast the colour of the wool...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful bag! I had to pop in and say hi - as I have just found your blog and I too am a UK Lass in the US! We moved from Hampshire to Oklahoma a few years ago and its been a big transition - but I love it! Now off to make a cup of tea and read some more of your blog!

    Dee
    x

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's so discouraging to spend all that time baking and hearing the tummy gurgles anticipating sweetness and then... Happened to me so many times! Something fun I've discovered -- add a carbonated beverage to a mix in place of everything else - no eggs, nothing! Bake as directed. Used sparkling water in jiffy muffin mix, dr pepper in chocolate cake, etc. Totally weird I know! But, it really works. :) K

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your stuff- LASS! You are sooo creative!
    I'm having a birthday give-away starting this week... I don't know if you would be interested in offering one of your fabulous handcrafted items to give-away on my site.

    just a thought.
    truly do love your site!

    ReplyDelete