More ideas

Ever have one of those conversations that starts with 'a light bulb has broken off in the socket', which leads to 'we ought to replace half the light fixtures in the house and add a couple of ceiling fans', which leads to 'we need to call a plumber to fix the kitchen sink, too', which somehow led to 'let's replace the sink, rip out the cupboard and re-do the floor in the old bathroom, while we have the electrician and plumber in the house'. That's the conversation I've been having while my in-box was filling with all your lovely comments about my fabric dollhouse tutorial. Thank you so much.
I am so glad that you like it. It really is simple to make. I haven't been sewing long and am not very good at sewing terminology, so please let me know if you see any glaring errors / improvements that could be made to the tutorial. I now wish I had put a great big disclaimer on the bottom saying 'I'm self-taught, just making things up as I go along and take no responsibility for any confusion caused by these instructions'. Don't hesitate to ask me if you do have any questions.
One of the comments suggested making a version that looks like a garage, another suggested a Noah's Ark. That set me off to thinking of all the different types of building that you could make: fire station, police station, jail, shop, school, doctor's office, vet office, bank, dog kennel (switch the opening to an end panel) etc. etc. If you do make one from my tutorial, please post it to my flickr group as I'd love to see what you come up with!
.
Well, I had better get going and tidy up a bit before the workmen arrive to give us an estimate. I don't want them to see the disaster that is my house and get all excited thinking they have a whole house remodel to do...
.
Translation of the day:
UK English: Chuffed = happy, really pleased, gratified, delighted in US English
.
As in: I am chuffed to bits that you liked my tutorial. Thank you.

19 comments:

  1. I am sooo excited - I'm thinking barn for John's 2nd bday. Thank you so much for the tute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this!! Am thinking that I absolutely have to make this for my son...who can't stop moooing and believes it is the sound all creatures make. He'd love it.

    tigerlilytinkering.blogpsot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. The possibilities are just endless! They are too sweet. I really need to make a few.....they could be addictive.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are the cutest things I've seen in a long time! I would like to email you about them, but don't see an email address -- please write me at Sarah@SewWithSarah.com

    Sarah J Doyle
    http://SewingBusiness.com
    http://SarahJDoyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a definite on the Chrissy present list. too cute. My thoughts are with your friends son too ....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for visiting my blog. It feels like a celebrity sighting. I love your little dollhouse tutorial and thought it worked out great. The only complications I had were of my own doing. The birthday girl loved it and the moms were amazed. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this and can't wait to make one for my daughter this Christmas. I am thinking of making it a fairy house. I do have a question, how did you do the appliques on the outside? Are they iron on? I don't see any stitches, but maybe you are just that good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks so much for the tutorial! I am in the process of making one and it is already turning out so cute. I was wondering though...do you have the dimensions for the larger barn you said you made to begin with? I think a bigger one might be fun to make too. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for that tutorial, it's great ! I want to make a house for my daughter (she's almost 3) for Christmas, with Goldilocks and 3 bears... so far, only one bear is done, but you just helped me a lot !
    Cecile

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for such a great tutorial, I have five nephews, luckily only two are toddlers, or I could be sewing until next Christmas. I thought I might try a barn and a garage. I'll post to flickr when I finish. Thanks again, cheers, Marita

    ReplyDelete
  11. hope you don't mind- but I'm claiming you as my favorite blogging brit.. I think your crafts are ADORABLE! love em all!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's like you read my mind! I have been wanting to make little houses for the critters I create. I was going to make soft ones, but the plastic webbing is an awesome idea. I cant wait to try it out.
    You can see my blog and critters at www.finnfactor.blogspot.com and mirkah.etsy.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I LOVE this! But I have a question. How do I make accessories such as animals for the barn or things for the house? Do you have a separate tut for that?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Man. I know what my 2 yr old (just turned) is going to get for Christmas this year... first I have to figure out how to make it look like a raceing garage.. (Dad's into NASCAR)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have never been so excited to sew in my life! I am making these for my nieces and nephews for Chrismas - and I found this website in enought time for me to make them. Did I mention I am a horrible seamstress?

    ReplyDelete
  16. My sister made this for my little boy for his 1st birthday, a barn. He loves it and puts all his little treasures in it. I want to make one too, I'm sure I'll find someone to give it to.

    Its a great thing to keep him quiet while he is sitting in church.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello from Spain!! I absolutely love your fabric house and that's why, even if I'm a begginer in sewing, I'm preparing for doing one for my girl's birthday. But please let me ask one thing, the measures you provide are for the grey and red house shown in the tutorial? Thank you very much for sharing your talent with us. Besos...

    ReplyDelete
  18. I just found you and know that my 2 youngest and 2 grandchildren will want a whole village. The use of the plastic canvass is a great idea. I found a house at a thrift shop and it did not last long.
    shannan

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've just found you, and oh so lovely. We have a barn from Ikea and my children love playing with it but it's a bit too big to carry around. I think it's a great idea to make a doll house smaller to carry everywhere. Thanks, thank you very much for sharing your wonderful ideas!

    ReplyDelete