Happy

It's been a good few days.
.
:: My friend's 4 year old son finished his chemo. This little lad really is a little trooper. He had to have his arm amputated this time round, but he hasn't let that get him down at all. Please say a prayer for him, that the cancer will not return again. I've been subjecting his poor family to my cooking every now and then during his treatment (as if they weren't suffering enough...) which can only add to their relief that it's all done with now.
.
:: I found a new fabric shop and it has a BIG selection of fabrics. Some known names, too. My knees even felt a little shaky as I was so happy. I had to exercise some restraint and remind myself that this store was not just a dream and it would still be there in a week's time.
No, really, restraint was exercised. Several of these pieces are only a quarter of a yard and some others were just $1 a yard. I've previously been limited to a quarter-sized Jo-Ann's and a nice, but very small selection in a shop 2 cities away, so pickings around here were pretty meagre. It's a wonder that I didn't buy up half the store on the spot. The only disadvantage is that the large selection of really cheap fabric is flat folded and would take weeks to search through.
.
:: I found a new thrift store nearby. It's only a wee one, and doesn't have much in the way of housewares etc. I did find 2 pairs of brand new boots for $5 each, though, AND they fit my flipper shaped feet (by that I mean that I have narrow heels. I do not have webbed toes). One pair even had the original price tag of $60 still on them.
.
:: We received a surprise parcel from Japan, from a friend of my mother-in-law's. She sent some cute kimono outfits for the kids and some food. I was a little puzzled to find a box saying 'cigare' in the parcel, as we don't smoke, but inside were these these delicious rolled butter cookies. I say 'were' as they are all gone now.
I plead guilty. In my defense, they are delicious and they just melt in your mouth - and, even better, the nutrition labelling is all in Japanese, so I have no idea how bad they are for me....
.
:: I'm feeling much better. If anything, I feel extra healthy. I think it's just pure happiness from getting some sleep at last.
Take care all!

15 comments:

  1. I will definitely be sending some prayers towards the little boy. I have a four year old boy and I can't imagine going through something like that. Give him a hug from me please.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor little vegemite, cancer is no fun for anyone. Losing an arm but still happy? Legend in my mind. I love those Japanese rolled waffer biscuits. Hmmm so tempting to mention to MIL on Saturday that I am missing them... Won't.... You can buy fabric for a $1 a yard?? I live in the wrong country. I count myself lucky finding good quality cotton lawn at $12 a meter (yard plus 4 inches). Sheesh. I can get cheaper but it isn't always quality..... Good shoes at bargin price. Lucky thing. Hope the sleep remains undisturbed for a looooong time for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Im choked up just reading your post - such a brave little boy, and especially brave parents - i'll include him in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's so much fun to find a new place to shop... especially when it's fabric! Looks like you got some great, cute prints! I'll be praying for your friend's little boy, too. I can't imagine what his family is going through, it has to be so hard.

    ReplyDelete
  5. glad you found a great new fabric shop. Don't forget to control yourself when you are in it. LOL! I understand. You know I'm a fabric junkie too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Will definitely pray for that little boy and his family! Glad to hear you are feeling better and are no longer knackered, nice fabric too btw.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a happy post! Victory over cancer, a serendipitous fabric store, and kind people sending treats in the mail. Thanks for sharing the love!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your post proves that reading blogs is much better for your mental state of wellbeing than reading the papers. Lots of prayers going out that your little friend stays cancer free!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I cannot even begin to imagine what your friends family and little one are going through. I most certainly will keep them in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love cigar cookies. They are delicious. I'm sure the family is more than grateful to have your cooking as your heart is in the right place. I pray that the Lord will heal this precious boy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's so heartbreaking to think of little ones who have to suffer. I am praying that all will go well with your little friend and that the Lord will give him and his family the strength to get through this trial. My cousin had her leg amputated due to cancer when she was a little girl. I'm happy to say that was 30 years ago and she's a healthy and happy mom. x

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm looking for a fabric store other than Jo-Ann in Southern California (I live near Pomona), do you mind sharing the one you found?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Katie, I hope you check back, as you don't have an e-mail on your profile for me to reply to.

    The store is called M & L Fabrics Discount Store. It's at 3430 W Ball Rd, Anaheim.

    ReplyDelete