Cream crackered

It's been a funny week. I've been under the weather still and it's left me feeling absolutely cream crackered. Maybe that's why I've also been a complete klutz. I've got scrapes and bruises all over from knocking into things. I keep having dopey spells, too, such as forgetting that there's food in the oven (it turns out that it tasted better than usual with a crispy crust...), using the conditioner instead of body wash, getting dressed in the wrong order etc.
We had an 5.4 earthquake centred 27 miles from here and I didn't notice it. I've had earache and my balance has been a little off, but I'm chalking that one up to my rickety little car's suspension. While it's a big relief that there was little to no injuries or damage, I still feel a little disappointed to have been completely oblivious. It's also a little unnerving to take your kids into a public restroom, only to have a nutty looking woman run up to you exclaiming "Did you feel that??"
This is my practice version of a peasant top for my daughter. I figured it would be a forgiving project, as it doesn't have to be a close fit and there are no fasteners. Perfect for a week like this. The main problem with it, though, is that you have no clue if it is going to be ok until close to the end. It's not until you thread the elastic in that it stops looking ridiculously large and shapeless. It probably would have helped if I had one in my possession to copy, but I just quickly measured her and then guessed how many inches to add so it would gather.
I really like it, though. I wouldn't have usually used topstitching thread, but that was the only thread in a matching colour that I had enough of. I'll probably make the sleeves a little shorter and tighter next time. I plan on making this one again. I hope I didn't throw out my rough pattern in a dopey moment...
.
Translation of the day:
UK English: cream crackered = rhyming slang for knackered
UK English: knackered = very tired or exhausted in US English. It can be used in everyday conversation, but "I'm knackered!" is probably not something you would exclaim at a job interview or while having tea with the Queen.
.
Take care.

15 comments:

  1. Great top, it looks cute on her. well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For a guess job, your little one's peasant top turned out really well. She looks too cute in it. Hope you're feeling a bit more sprightly...

    ReplyDelete
  3. The shirt looks fantastic...any chance you'd be interested in making me a copy of that pattern. Cis and your daughter look about them same size. And she has super cute hair...even without hair clips:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really lovely shirt you've made! I'd take care -- is it the usual exhaustion of motherhood that has you all at sixes and sevens (did I say that right?), do you think, or might it warrant a mention to your doctor -- that you're feeling off balance and having difficulty with everyday things. Just to make sure? I do hope you're feeling clear headed and back to your own self already....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been exhausted lately... It's always nice to hear I'm not the only one!
    The top is so sweet. I'm very impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope you are feeling better. Us colonials (ok Australians) seem to use a lot of the same slang. Knackered, cream crackered (okay those into rhyming slang more so). Do you use I am going to hit the frog and toad and warn your hubby about the ike and tina up the road too?? Love the peasant top. Now know what to include in the parcel for your daughter because most attempts at making it to the Textile Centre (ie sewing notion heaven as opposed to Arab St fabric heaven) at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh and my baking skills are very hit and miss. Thankfully, I get on very well with the helper who lives directly above who looks after a geriatric labrador (I kid you not) and thinks he deserves the slightly overcooked treats I bring. So usually I go plateless but try to get the cooking done the night before. The play date last Tuesday was plateless and the labrador was one very happy boy because he had 2 and not just one batch of botched baking.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very cute top! I really like those gathered tops for little girls - they're so comfy.
    Hope you're feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that top--I'm nervous about making one because my sewing skills are terrible at best, but I have such cute fabric that I'll just have to try anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hope you start feeling better soon! Love the top and love your translations at the bottom, very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The peasant top looks soooo cute on your little sweetie! You did a wonderful job, cream crackered and all! I am going to make sure I use that saying in it's appropriate context this week as my homework. x

    ReplyDelete
  12. The top turned out so cute... I wish my little girl was that small again! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Super cute top...why do I always want "adult version" of kids clothes. I would really love a top like that! I like your translation of the day...very good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very cute top. I found your blog via Craftzine.com where they featured your fabric dollhouse (Love it by the way! I may start making them for my friends' kids!)

    I also absolutely love your UK English translations at the bottom of this post! I think I may just have add the terms "knackered" and "cream crackered" to my vocabulary. I'm American, but am proud of my UK heritage (Scotch-Irish, English, AND Welsh) and I dream of visiting the UK someday.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete