Toto, I don't think we're in LA County anymore

I'm sorry. I meant to pop in and say goodbye before we left, but my son came down with some rare infection, so our last few days at home were spent wondering if the antibiotics and steroids would work so that we would get the doc's all-clear to go (there's nothing like the mention of possible surgery to strike fear into a mother's heart). The good news is it was caught early and off we went. The bad news is that you had to look at my pancake for over a week...
Thanks for the well-wishes and ideas. The kids did great on the car rides, even the day we spent over 13 hours on the road. I think that it helped that I only made a minimal effort to entertain them, so they mainly entertained themselves, rather than looking to me for something new to distract them every 5 minutes. That's the big advantage car rides have over aeroplane rides: you don't feel like you have to keep the kids completely silent.
The magna-doodles were the most successful. Usually I take the small 4 by 6 inch ones we have on trips, but this time I took the larger ones and they kept the kids occupied for far longer. They also enjoyed the 'new' toys, such as their felt boards: One piece of stiff felt (instead of the usual sandpaper board), plus a bunch of shapes cut out of felt - random shapes for my son and more specific shapes for my younger daughter - to make pictures with. The metal boards and magnets (that I had made out of magazine pictures and those sticky-backed magnet sheets) were preferred to sheets of stickers. And for the moments when bribery for peace was needed, snacks and a couple of small surprise gifts did the trick... Phew.
.
nb. We didn't get a dvd player. Not because I have anything against the idea of them, but because every single one seemed to have at least one customer review saying that it had broken down on the first use. I didn't have much confidence in our luck with electronics...
.
I had better go and do some laundry. Take care all.

7 comments:

  1. WOW-what a beautiful place!

    I'm glad your son is feeling better and that you had a nice vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What lovely photos looks like you had a wonderful holiday and I am glad your son is feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad your sone is doing better now. Thanks for the car journey ideas - we have one quite soon, not long on a US scale but long for the UK!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great pictures from your trip. Glad the traveling went well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to hear that your son is better. Your photos look lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete