Tote finally

I've been having one of those of those weeks. It's been one dopey mistake / clumsy moment / silly accident / forgotten thing after another. In a week when you get to the swimming pool before discovering that you left your swimming costume at home / open a cupboard just to have a large bagful of M&Ms rain down over you / forget the dinner in the oven / skid on spilt soap and fall on your bum etc. etc. etc. (really, the list goes on and on) it's probably to be expected that all does not go to plan when making a bag for the first time.
.
I'm not counting those clutch bags as proper bags, by the way. Or the awful creation I made at school when I was 11. You know, just a few tips and words of advice back then could have made all the difference. Instead, I was left with a fear of sewing machines and a ugly blue one-dimensional tote with wonky tacked on handles...
Anyway, despite several dumb mistakes in the early stages (cutting the fabric in the wrong direction, then cutting the wrong piece in half, then not double checking that the fabrics actually were right sides facing before sewing... twice... You get the picture. Apparently more sleep was needed around here after all), when it came to actually sewing it together, this tote bag for my son's preschool teacher was much easier than I was expecting.
It's reversible, so she can turn it inside out and have the blue paisley fabric showing on days that she doesn't want the school themed fabric.
I made it slightly smaller than originally planned, as I overheard her say that the class' share bag was missing (the kids take turns to take the share bag home and bring back something to share with the class the next school day). That's why the patches of the letter fabric are narrower. I figured that she could use this if the share bag doesn't show up, as it's not too big for a preschooler to carry. But hopefully it's still large enough to be useful for an adult.
.
I hope she likes it. I'm going through the usual doubt and uncertainty over giving a handmade gift...
.
I had a list of UK baby terms for the translation of the day, but, in keeping with the rest of the week, I've mislaid it. Next time.
.
Take care.
.
PS. The main fabric is brown - we're having a rare overcast day, so the colours look a little off in the photos.

14 comments:

  1. The bag looks great! Nice that it's reversible. If I had a bag like that I would keep it for myself and not use it as a share bag!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's not a woman in the world who wouldn't be totally and completely thrilled with this gift. You were so especially thoughtful by making it reversible AND making it classroom-useful if she wants to go that route. This is a gift to be proud of, and one that will be received with delight!!

    [Thanks for the jeans' length advice, btw! very helpful.]

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is just awesome! You did a great job - she'll love it. We must be related ... my mother used to call me Grace all the time (and still does) because I manage to trip up stairs and fall over ... nothing! ha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The bag looks lovely! I love that it's reversible, if I were the teacher, I'd love it! Thank you for you sweet comment on my blog, It's so touching to hear that the Thai people remember and care for our fallen servicemen and women, to keep everything so immaculate. May your day be blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yikes, you did have a bad week! I hate falling and can't believe kids can just get back up. It takes me days to recover.
    The bag looks great! I need to get cracking on my son's present for his teacher...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I guarantee you your bag will be a big hit with the teacher. There is no sweeter and meaningful gift than one made especially for someone with loving hands!! It is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm impressed that you were able to make something so special after a week like that. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is so gorgeous.

    A rain of M&Ms sounds like a GOOD thing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It turned out great! I think this will have to be her most treasured teacher gift this year. It has to make her feel appreciated that you would spend the time to create something so special. x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think it looks really lovely and the embroidery is fantastic!
    Very thoughtful of you to make it reversible to a less kid-related theme -- my husband is a teacher and some days you just want to be a regular adult and leave the classroom behind!
    .

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm sure his teacher will love the gift! You really are talented!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Perfect teacher gift - straight to the top of the class!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Too cute! LOVE the one with the school materials!

    ReplyDelete