Probably the only time you'll ever see me in an apron

There are some who might say that someone with my culinary skills is not in dire need of an apron. To be honest, I only use one when baking a cake (and the last time I baked a cake I made the mistake of using a trans fat free spread, which apparently does not work...).
Still, all I had was an old black apron from a steakhouse that my husband once worked at, so I made an Emmeline apron. I managed to watch both The Godfather parts I & II while sewing this (Part III is tonight. Everyone in my life always wanted to rent something else as they had already seen the trilogy, so I decided that it was finally time for me to sit down and watch them). This is an indication of how ridiculously slow I am at hand sewing, by the way, not the difficulty of the pattern. The pattern was nice and easy to follow.
The pattern is by Sew Liberated (formally Montessori by Hand).
Yes, it's reversible. I did have a lovely pale fabric in mind for one of the sides, then I remembered that I have kids and I went for the darker more practical / stain disguising fabric.
Oh, this photo is just to prove that the gathers were even on the blue bodice, despite how the light makes them look in the first photo: Translation of the day:
UK English: pig's ear = a poor job, something you've made a mess of. For example, 'The last time I attempted to make a cake I made a right pig's ear of it'.

Still, with this apron I'll at least look good while making a pig's ear of things in the kitchen...

Looks like I had better clean that mirror.

17 comments:

  1. Your apron is adorable! Luckily you didn't make a pig's ear of that. LOL! Hey I just learned that from you, and had to use it in a sentence!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great fabric choices!! I have an almost finished Emmeline, I guess I should get to it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice looking emmeline - brings a tinge of shame to my face since I didn't even get as far as cutting it out :) Hopefully this will inspire you to bake more often (I like looking at pictures of cake)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did a great job! I'm no longer cook 'real' meals anymore ... I do wear my apron a lot when I clean ... hmmm ... maybe I don't wear aprons that often afer all ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love the apron. your fabric choices are great. and i agree with you when you commented on my blog, i regret having told my husband about my blog too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooooo, I love it! Silk purse for sure! (Pig's ear joke!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. well done. your apron looks gorgeous, especially the paisley fabric - its fabulous.
    Im desperate to make another apron, its on my agenda.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I am sooo envious of your apron. Er, you having that apron. I love aprons. They are so feminine and so "I'm a domestic diva"-ish. You have a great thin shape for it as well. I'm afraid I'd make it loook frumpy. But then, again, what's up with not trying?

    (I love the pig's ear saying! Need to use that on the kids tonight, they'd love it).

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm in need of an apron and, finally, I find one I really like. Thanks for the link - and for leaving a comment on my blog. I'm pretty new to blogging, so really appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks really pretty! Oh and if it is a 'spread' the rule is that it is probably not fit to spread it on bread, let alone bake with it. Only use margarine or butter. We saved money lately by buying cheaper and cheaper generic 'table spread' and I think eating cardboard would be tastier.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So cute! I'm impressed that you did that by hand. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! I'm so impressed...beautiful apron and great fabric...I can't believe you made it by hand, just blows me away!
    Thanks for checking out my studio...looks like you could create anything, ANYWHERE!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. ooohhhh, I love your pretty apron.
    I'm just like you: someone with my culinary skills is not in dire need of an apron...but it is always fun to pretend! I will soon make an apron (part of my to-do list). Have a lovely weekend xox

    ReplyDelete
  14. This apron is so attractive I think it should be worn everywhere!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've had this pattern for a while, and I feel kind of like you about my need for an apron. I do want to make it sometime though- it's just so cute! I love your fabric choices.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great job on the apron! I have that pattern here ready for me to get to it sometime soon...

    ReplyDelete