Not as busy as a bee

We had uninvited guests show up this week. No advance warning. They completely took over our laundry area on laundry day, no less. I haven't been able to do laundry in days - including pre-washing the fabric that I want to make into an apron. The timing really has been most inconvenient, especially as my husband and I have been sharing a car (his car has been at the garage for 3 weeks now. I'm starting to get nervous. Maybe someone stole it a couple of weeks ago and none of the mechanics noticed...). I haven't been able to get to my bike and its trailer this time around, though. Why?
Yep, bees. Did you know that they tell you to wait a couple of days, hoping that the bees will move on of their own accord. That's not that helpful when they're in your garage. Unlike the rural area I lived in in the UK, you do not get some friendly beekeeper come and remove them for free here, either. Hopefully the mechanic and the bee man will spend our economic stimulus cheque wisely...
.
Quick aside: my uncle and aunt used to keep bees. They made the most wonderful tasting honey, with a lovely thick texture. I have never found another honey that tasted so good.
.
Anyway, I've got nothing for you. I can't imagine that you're interested in the extra row or two added to my scarf or the denim shorts that I shortened to my length or any of the other mundane things I've done while waiting to use my washing machine. The good news is that the stragglers are supposed to clear out by tomorrow. Hey, at least I finally folded the fabric stash (apparently I plan on making a lot of red, blue or brown stuff...).
As promised, today's translations of the day are the baby related terms:
UK English: cot = crib in US English
UK English: dummy = pacifier in US English
UK English: nappy = diaper in US English
UK English: pram = baby carriage in US English
UK English: buggy = baby carriage in US English
UK English: crèche = daycare in US English
.
As for these, I think I have got this right, but to be honest, I had never used either the Brit or the American terms before having kids of my own, which didn't happen until I was Stateside.
UK English: romper = sleep n' play in US English
UK English: bodysuit = onesie US English
.
I had to read the 'what you need for when your baby arrives' list with a dictionary nearby.
PS. Our Internet connection has been very temperamental these last few days, so my apologies to anyone that I'm taking a while to get back to.

9 comments:

  1. ooohhhh, good luck with the bee's....we have wasp and hornet nests all over our backyard, so that is one thing I won't miss in this house, when we move! The girls can't even play out back in the summer.....for fear of getting stung! We need to get pest control over here! YIKES!
    I love all the UK/English translations!
    Take care,
    Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not liking bees these days! I got stung the other day while going to the bathroom...not a very pleasant experience I tell you!

    Bees = No good!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oooh, bees. They scare me, but I am fascinated by them. I hope they are out soon.

    What a lovely stash. I don't have nearly enough blues...

    ReplyDelete
  4. hmmm...honey is so good...sure you don't want to become a bee keeper. Oh sorry, looks like you already are (smile). I am drooling and totally green with envy over your stash ... or maybe I should say red with envy (I LOVE red).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope the bees are leaving soon and leave some good honey behind! Like sorry for the inconvenience, but we make amends!

    Nice stash!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You poor thing! I actually miss the fresh honey and the fresh eggs we used to get from the farm down the road when we lived in England. That aside, prayers are with you that the mechanic and the beekeeper get things sorted straightaway! I wish my fabric stash was as organized as yours, hmm....yet another summer project to add to my list.:-) Totally enjoyed the translations, I made the mistake of asking where the creche was in a church we were visiting while on a visit home to the States, when we lived in the UK, and they informed me that the nativity scene was only brought out at Christmas! Hee! May your day be blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your stash! Beautiful colors. It's funny what you can learn about yourself by going through belongings, isn't it? I've learned I like big square shapes and small geometric prints. Wierd.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your translation posts! Here, a pram and buggy are typically called a stroller. Unless one is wealthy, in which case, a pram is a pram...ordered from England for around $3,000! Yeeps!

    ReplyDelete