Butterflies

Car repaired, bees removed, internet connection mended, wallet emptied...
.
This is just a flying visit, but have you seen the Crafty Crow? It's a blog full of craft ideas for children, so you might want to check it out if you are looking for ideas to keep little ones entertained during the summer.
.
One of the things posted was a coffee filter butterfly. My son made one of those at preschool this year, while they were studying the life cycle of butterflies (nb. These studies led to lots of questions for mum about whether he was ever in an egg etc. We've finally boiled it down to: He came from an egg, then grew in mum's tummy. Then mum went to the doctor and the doctor took him out of mum's tummy. He was a tiny baby, all covered in blood and crying - this detail apparently remembered from him seeing a photo in the album. Luckily this version has him satisfied for now...).

Ok, enough of the birds and the bees. Anyway, these butterflies reminded me of these ones hung up from my daughter's ceiling, that I made when she was a baby. I first made one of these a long time ago when I was a brownie (that's a young girl scout - do they call them brownies here?). Just take 2 squares of paper, one about an inch larger than the other. Fold them in half along the diagonal, then continue folding them accordion style across the remainder of the square. Then all you have to do is twist a pipe cleaner around the middle of the 2 folded squares to secure them together, then pull the folds open a bit, to resemble butterfly wings. I then trimmed them a little to improve the shape.
The lines on the photo are the fishing line used to string them up. Now here's a really awful photo, thanks to the poor light in my daughter's room and the ugly popcorn ceiling. It's supposed to show you the butterflies strung up on the ceiling, so please attempt to ignore the poor picture quality. Maybe squinting would help...
Just so I can pretend that I put some effort into decorating her room, here's some clothes hooks that I painted to match, hung on a fake wood grain closet door (you're getting a wee insight into the taste of the former owners here...):
Ok, that's enough 70's decor for now. Take care all.

14 comments:

  1. Those are sweet butterflies! I've never seen them made that way.

    Yes, brownies (In some parts anyway. I can't speak for all of the US).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi D!

    Thanks for stopping by my blog. I'm trying to get back into blogland. Looking forward to a summer break. I posted another challenge, so come join us. Your butterflies look great. Prettiest ones made from the coffee filters that I've ever seen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice butterflies! Great idea to do with the kids at school. I've just posted something with a butterfly too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those butterflies are really cute! I think they might just make for a fun summer project for my girls. I think we'll have lots of them flying around the house in the near future! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cute! I like how you're not using pink--it's hard to get away from pink when you have a little girl.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love these butterfly's!! Very fun, can't wait to try them with my kids.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I found your link through the Crafty Crow. I cannot wait to try this idea. They are so cute and cost effective!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am in love with these butterflies. Thank youfor sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. so very cute! i think my son may make these today... thank you for sharing!
    angela

    ReplyDelete
  10. I ran across this searching for a way to make paper butterflies. How cute!

    ReplyDelete
  11. ilove it im making these for my sister's sweet 16 "cloud 9" full of mystroy n dragons elves

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi! Wonderful site. My first time here; I'll be back often. First, I want to do the butterflies with my g'daughters for mobiles. Yes, we have Brownie Scouts here--as a young level of the Girl Scouts of America. Younger still are the Daisy Scouts. Good luck to you. I hope living in the U.S. pleases you. We cherish the Britcoms and someday will visit England if we are very, very lucky, ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm doing a textiles project at school and it has to do with butterflies, this will be so nice to put on my poster thank you! :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. Made one yesterday for my daughter to take to school, absolutely lovely!

    ReplyDelete