Slowest crocheter in the West

and, no doubt, the East, too...
This wee basket has taken me several evenings, although I did waste a bit of time doing three different attempts at handles...
It's based on the crochet basket pattern at http://orangeflower.typepad.com/orange_flower/crochet-basket-pattern.html, although I made it a little smaller in diameter and skipped the fold on the top. It is only just now - and after my repeated attempts at handles that I see that she made a version with handles http://orangeflower.typepad.com/orange_flower/2008/02/another-crochet.html in what looks a much easier way... darn... Anyway, she recently posted that she is stopping her blog this weekend, so you might not have long to get a copy of the pattern.
.
I have further plans for this basket, but took pictures now in case they go awry. If you see no more of it, you'll know my idea went hopelessly wrong...
.
Meanwhile, here's proof that I should not become a clown: 1st attempt at balloon animals for the kids... Um, a big-nosed pink poodle and, um, a giraffe... obviously...
.
As for those of you missing your UK / US English lessons, never fear, I will be posting the crossword results soon...
.
Edit: OrangeFlower's blog is now down, but it was a collaborative effort and there's a link to the basket pattern at http://chickpeastudio.typepad.com/chickpea_sewing_studio/2008/02/the-little-croc.html

10 comments:

  1. Really cute bag! I'm afraid my crochet skills would not produce something so lovely. Last year I made a bath mat- that's all I will ever crochet I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this bag - really worth the effort! I think Crochet will always be beyond my powers of comprehension!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What's the basket for? It turned out very nice, as did the balloon animals. It reminds me of a local artist here in Colorado who makes balloon animals and other crazy balloon creations on one of the walking malls--his stuff is really amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...Stays in Vegas!May 17, 2008 at 9:46 AM

    Very cute little basket! When I need a container to help me stay organized, I usually default to some sort of plastic box. Your basket is much nicer!
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Darling basket - I see orange flowers blog is already gone. Your balloon animals are cute.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE your little crochet basket! It is too cute. I really enjoy your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. very cute bag ... I think I have you beat for the east coast though...I'm STILL knitting my dishcloth. I guess it would help if I actually picked it up each evening to work on it ... the balloons are impressive ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I love the handles! I have also made a couple of these baskets. You can also find the pattern on Chickpea Sewing Studio's blog (www.chicpeastudio.typepad.com). Would you be willing to share how you did the handles and what yarn you used? It looks super sturdy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the basket! I never would have guessed you had any problems with the handles. It looks really great. I have some unused sturdy cotton in my stash--this inspires me to pull it out and make a basket of my own.

    ReplyDelete