Mother's Day Greetings

Happy Mother's Day to many of the mothers amongst you (the UK Mother's Day was back on March 2nd - it keeps me on my toes trying to find out when it falls each year).
These red paper flowers were made for me by my son at preschool. My daughter's artistic efforts for the day were limited to an impromptu ink drawing on our living room wall... grrr. After a day of waking early, wiping bottoms and listening to squabbles, I think my favourite part of Mother's Day might just be now: the kids are in bed and I plan on sitting down and maybe even watching TV...
.
Sorry, I'm sure I'd be waxing lyrical about the joys of motherhood if I had had a smidgen more sleep in the past fortnight. K had croup, poor lass, and wasn't sleeping at night. J was under the weather. Then throw in a leaving party, a baby shower and two birthday parties and it's been a busy few days. I'm not caught up on checking my e-mail yet, so please don't think I've been ignoring you if you've sent me a message.
.
Still, the kids' birthday at the park went really well. All I had to worry about was taking along food, drink and favours (including these great kites that I found that are ever so easy to fly). The kids had a blast and the mums had a chance to natter (I found out that one of the preschool mums is English, too!). The kids even liked the English style sandwiches - phew!
Here's some of the wee bags I made for small favours for the baby shower. I put a handful of chocolates in each one. I adapted the clutch pattern in Bend the Rules Sewing (by Amy Karol) to make it smaller: about the size of a small camera case. I'm hoping they'll be found useful, but I didn't have much time on my hands, so there's lots of improvements I would like to have made, especially in terms of using matching thread colours and taking more care to avoid wavy top stitching. Oh well, hopefully my friends won't examine them too carefully!

We went to a restaurant, so for games I just drew up a couple of small quizzes. One of which was a crossword based on UK English / US English translations for baby terms. I did this once before and each time I'm amazed to find out that my friends actually understand very little of what I say. One good friend thought K spent much of her first year sleeping on a camping cot (a frame camping bed), as she kept hearing me refer to K's cot. Goodness know what kind of mother she thought I was. Probably one who enjoys the post-bedtime part of Mother's day the best, no doubt...
.
I guess the translation of the day should be
UK English: cot = crib in US English
UK English: camp bed = cot in US English
.
Take care all.

12 comments:

  1. I think the bags are lovely :)

    I do like your translations - they do make it obvious that despite the shared language, it's actually quite different. Must be confusing sometimes...

    ReplyDelete
  2. What lovely bags! We had a similar weekend here too ... we ALL took naps yesterday (I never nap). Worn out from all of our festivities! Best wishes for well children to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea for shower gifts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your little bags are too cute. Love the homemade gifts from my kids. They are always my favorite. Hope you're able to get some sleep soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The bags are lovely! Thanks for stopping by my blog, I know what you mean about feeling like you're not talking to yourself! :-) Don't feel bad about the whole cot/crib situation, Our oldest 2 daughters were born in Scotland and England respectively, and y'all corrupted me! I still say "nappy" and "cot" and someone looked at me like I had two heads when I said the baby had "wind". I love the translations! Happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jan - Stays in Vegas!May 12, 2008 at 5:43 PM

    I think the bags are lovely! Glad everyone is feeling better! When you think about the translations, they make sense. Its funny how we get used to hearing certain words in a particular meaning.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the translations, even here in Oz between states the lingo differs. Would you believe that here in Tassie someone may greet you with "Hello Cock!" but in Queensland you'd get punched in the face for that comment....so bizarre!!
    Love the little gift bags, what a great keepsake for the guests.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great party bags - the fabric combos look lovely. I get the cot/crib thing here too. After a particularly long and difficult day with my little ones this week, my daughter asked what my favourite thing to do with her and her brother was. My answer was "put you to bed!". Oh, there goes my mother of the year award...!

    ReplyDelete
  9. lovely little bags! Happy Mother's Day!
    Laurie~

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've just discovered your blog and I SO like it! Your writing is so funny. Love the translations! I'm Dutch, but I live in Spain and I've had some very strange situations too... Telling a friend to watch out because there is a sheep flying around her head (aveja-oveja)..

    Very nice blog...I'll come back soon!

    ReplyDelete